Rhett leaves AU / New OC discussion (Merged)

auburnphan

Unless JJ comes running out to greet Gus & CY in his blue boxer shorts and an orange & blue dyed Mohawk, maybe Coach Yurcich (how to spell his name), we might have ourselves a top notch OC that can get us back to the days of 500 yard plus games consistently.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

how did you make out with the ice storm?

There was no ice storm... it rained... froze a little late at night, but generally stayed about 33-34 degrees all weekend. But hey, the meteorologists got to cause half the city to panic, so that was fun.

2 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

Oops... fast forwarded to the end, assuming there was no relevant news over the weekend.  My mistake.

All in good fun. But in the OC world I think a Majic 8 ball or a Ouija board would have better answers than anyone right now. 

So the goons over at tRANT seem to think all the momentum is with Yurcich of Oklahoma State. I admit, I don't know much about him, but it is hard to argue against someone, who was a Broyle's finalist this past year. My only concern is adaptability. Oklahoma State sure did love to air it out quite a bit, although their offense last year did produce a 1k yard rusher...

8 minutes ago, DAG said:

So the goons over at tRANT seem to think all the momentum is with Yurcich of Oklahoma State. I admit, I don't know much about him, but it is hard to argue against someone, who was a Broyle's finalist this past year. My only concern is adaptability. Oklahoma State sure did love to air it out quite a bit, although their offense last year did produce a 1k yard rusher...

I really like that he can be pass heavy and still put a 1k rusher out there. I don't know anything about him -- in fact, I'd never even heard of him until today, but on paper this looks like he could give us what we need while still utilizing what's made us successful here.

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

There was no ice storm... it rained... froze a little late at night, but generally stayed about 33-34 degrees all weekend. But hey, the meteorologists got to cause half the city to panic, so that was fun.

Lol, same thing here today, they closed all schools and all we have had is a drizzle all day 35 degrees.

Lifted from the Rant board.

Interesting article on how Mike Gundy found Yurcich: 

CBS Sports 

quote:
Instead, the Cowboys head coach settled into his office chair during the offseason, shaded by dark-wood blinds, and visited NCAA.com. (He even slouched in his chair and pointed to the screen during an interview with CBSSports.com to emphasize the process). He searched NCAA.com's statistics section for the “Total Offense” category, then saw Division II. Who’s on top? Shippensburg University: 529.92 yards per game. "Let's see what that's about," he recalled thinking. A detailed evaluation followed: phone calls, statistical analysis and an in-person meeting in Maryland. This process led him to Yurcich, a 37-year-old from Euclid, Ohio, who has coached a Heisman winner. Well, the Harlon Hill Award is sort of like the D-II Heisman, and Shippensburg quarterback Zach Zulli was last year’s recipient.

quote:
The Cowboys’ version of the no-huddle “Air Raid” doesn’t need an overhaul, especially not after averaging 46.2 points per game since now-West Virginia coach Dana Holgorsen installed it three years ago, good enough for a top-three national ranking each year. Gundy wasn’t looking for an established name because that name would bring an established offense -- and likely his own plays. Gundy already had an offense. If the offense doesn’t drive itself by now, it sure has good GPS. As that stipulation shrunk the talent pool, Gundy combed through Internet stats as a way to keep an open mind about the process. Gundy's expectations were: * Must be good with quarterbacks. * Must make good adjustments. * Understands speed, tempo. * Must be ready for outside criticism and welcome it.

quote:
Under Gundy, the Oklahoma State coordinator spot has produced head coaches at West Virginia (Dana Holgorsen), UNC (Larry Fedora, by way of Southern Miss) and Southern Miss (Monken). Will Yurcich be next? Considering he spent the first few months on the job learning the offense, becoming a head coach is hardly a concern. “The only thing I really want to do is win ball games,” Yurcich said. “I really enjoy calling plays and I love being an offensive coordinator. I’ve never really thought about the topic you bring up, quite honestly.”

Just now, Tiger said:

I really like that he can be pass heavy and still put a 1k rusher out there. I don't know anything about him -- in fact, I'd never even heard of him until today, but on paper this looks like he could give us what we need while still utilizing what's made us successful here.

Very Raw. Apparently was just hired after being successful at the D-II level. Pretty much goes against our experience claim, but based on the ESPN article I read, Gundy stated that he has 14 years as a QB coach as well. So, I guess it is the type of experience.

Just now, DAG said:

Very Raw. Apparently was just hired after being successful at the D-II level. Pretty much goes against our experience claim, but based on the ESPN article I read, Gundy stated that he has 14 years as a QB coach as well. So, I guess it is the type of experience.

Ah well that makes me uneasy for sure. The more we think about it the more it seems like there are no obvious HIRE THIS MAN guy out there that is a viable choice. A Briles would've fit in there but they both had a whole separate set of issues that make them un-hireable. We definitely need someone who is good at working with QBs but inexperienced is what we had before....So it's at least half a step in the right direction? mehhhhhhhh

Personally, don't like the idea of a legitimate "Air Raid" offense (never seen a coach who lives by it keep his job very long....feels gimicky) but if he can meld it well with Gus' current ground game (which suddenly began to feel gimmicky) then it could be very interesting.

If Yurcich is the guy, I'll have to withhold judgement 'til I see it on the field.

AU won't go Air Raid under Yurcich, but will utilize ALL the assets other than just the RBs.  AU has immensely talented receivers, and it could be argued that the passing offense should be the strength of the offense. 

9 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Lol, same thing here today, they closed all schools and all we have had is a drizzle all day 35 degrees.

Gotta love mass hysteria... Some folks around here have been posting pictures on Facebook of 1982, when we had feet of snow and NOTHING was cancelled. Friday, it didn't even start raining until 9 pm and EVERYTHING was cancelled.

I don't mind the idea of getting the OC of a pass heavy offense, if we can meet somewhere in the middle and merge it with Malzahn's run heavy attack. 

We have to get more sophisticated in the passing game some how, some way. We have too much talent to waste it with the same game plan we've used the last 2 seasons. 

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

You should be use to that  from the time spent on this site (1/2 the city in panic).

15 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Ah well that makes me uneasy for sure. The more we think about it the more it seems like there are no obvious HIRE THIS MAN guy out there that is a viable choice. A Briles would've fit in there but they both had a whole separate set of issues that make them un-hireable. We definitely need someone who is good at working with QBs but inexperienced is what we had before....So it's at least half a step in the right direction? mehhhhhhhh

Yeah. I honestly don't mind the experience thing as much as it being someone from a different coaching tree then Gus. Some of these guys are very bright and just need the opportunity. Yurcich has had a pretty good opening as power 5 coordinator. I am still a little cautious about this Air raid mentality, although I imagine we would move towards Gus's principle if hired.

Must be good with quarterbacks. * Must make good adjustments. * Understands speed, tempo. * Must be ready for outside criticism and welcome it.

Sounds like Mike Gundy was looking for the same thing we are.

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

Yeah. I honestly don't mind the experience thing as much as it being someone from a different coaching tree then Gus. Some of these guys are very bright and just need the opportunity. Yurcich has had a pretty good opening as power 5 coordinator. I am still a little cautious about this Air raid mentality, although I imagine we would move towards Gus's principle if hired.

IMO Gus will be in his ear and "suggest" running the ball more if things start to get away from how Gus likes to win.

6 minutes ago, AUMASTERS said:

You should be use to that  from the time spent on this site (1/2 the city in panic).

Ya beat me to it.

Man this thread. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY, speculates like die hard Auburn fans when a football coaching vacancy exists. Going on 60 pages of little to nothing. I am not saying it isn't fun to read, especially when a tiff breaks out between two posters, but man oh man when you step back from it you realize that it's a whole lot of not much. 

...then again, I may be saying this just to get my post count up a bit. 

Just now, Tiger said:

IMO Gus will be in his ear and "suggest" running the ball more if things start to get away from how Gus likes to win.

I agree with you, but I also believe that the Uppers have hinted at Gus to keep his limits...just my assumption. Gus is not holding a royal flush at this table, quite frankly. It will behoove him to trust his coordinators as much as possible.

Just now, madkat7 said:

Man this thread. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY, speculates like die hard Auburn fans when a football coaching vacancy exists. Going on 60 pages of little to nothing. I am not saying it isn't fun to read, especially when a tiff breaks out between two posters, but man oh man when you step back from it you realize that it's a whole lot of not much. 

...then again, I may be saying this just to get my post count up a bit. 

Go to any other football forum and you will see the same length of speculation for a vacancy.

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

Go to any other football forum and you will see the same length of speculation for a vacancy.

But it won't be nearly as eloquent or well thought out as the musings you find on AU family.  This is some William Shakespeare quality speculation here.

Archived