Four years later and I'm still mad

JBiGGiE

17 minutes ago, weagle06 said:

Was I the only one, when mason broke the last tackle on the long run, thought to themself "we scored too quick, he shoulda went down at the 1"?

You were not the only one. While everyone in my family was screaming in happiness, I knew we just made a huge mistake. Regardless  of what people may think, it's very logical to go down short of the goal line and not score. Those extra 40+sec of the clock is crucial. It's actually a legit strategy in high level video game competition. My father will argue with me to the end on this. He always tells me to take the points. I say down it at the one, if you can't get it in, then in my opinion you don't deserve the win.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

CAP recovered the freaking ball against TAMU in '14. That one goes the right way and we win the game. 

And every single time bama has snapped the ball against us the last 10 years, because they've gotten away with holding every single time. 

As always, I come here to make a post only to find that we've shared a brain wavelength. Good call.

I  think about the 2014 Miss st game as well as those others listed. SC got an offensive PI that negated a 68 yard play that would've put us at the 2 yd line in the 3rd quarter. JJ got a defensive PI on 4th down that allowed them to make it a 2 score game in the 4th quarter. 

2 hours ago, IronMan70 said:

It's not a bad call but it's a play we have all thought about over the last 4 years.

We have a lead, a minute to go in the National Championship game, FSU has a long field in front of them, they throw a simple 5 yard pass just trying to get a 1st down. Instead of making a sure tackle or grab a jersey, 2 Senior DBs don't make the play which allows the WR to gain 45 yards. This puts them down into striking distance with enough time to work.

I'm still not over it.  If the replay is on, I'll watch until Mason scores our last TD and turn it off.  

My brother who is a big FSU fan was at the game.  The shirt shops apparently started rolling out the "Auburn National Champions" shirts after Mason's TD.  After the game was over, my brother found the shirts.  Thought it was funny and got one.  He even put it on, took a pic and sent it to me the next day.  Then to add insult to injury, we were on a family trip to Ireland that Following April.  He comes to my hotel room and says he has a gift for me.  It was the shirt.  That shirt never made it back to the USA.

1 hour ago, weagle06 said:

Was I the only one, when mason broke the last tackle on the long run, thought to themself "we scored too quick, he shoulda went down at the 1"?

What I'd have loved for him to do is not go down on the 1 (scoring is never guaranteed) but to get inside the 5 & just stop or run laterally or do some jumping jacks, anything to run 13 more seconds off the clock!  Which of course no RB could be expected to do. But I had that thought b/c I feared the time left on the clock. Still sad...

1 hour ago, Jgarrett7 said:

Because I'm not a gluten for punishment, I will not be back to this thread.:puke:

I’m a glutton for gluten. 

7 minutes ago, TigerTennis80 said:

What I'd have loved for him to do is not go down on the 1 (scoring is never guaranteed) but to get inside the 5 & just stop or run laterally or do some jumping jacks, anything to run 13 more seconds off the clock!  Which of course no RB could be expected to do. But I had that thought b/c I feared the time left on the clock. Still sad...

He wouldn't have been able to run any time off the clock. There was an FSU player chasing him down.

A little further back, Deion Sanders pass interference not called in the Sugar Bowl. 

3 hours ago, Maverick.AU said:

I  think about the 2014 Miss st game as well as those others listed. SC got an offensive PI that negated a 68 yard play that would've put us at the 2 yd line in the 3rd quarter. JJ got a defensive PI on 4th down that allowed them to make it a 2 score game in the 4th quarter. 

That PI against Coates came to mind quickly. Also thought about how we got screwed by the zebras at the end of the '85 Bammer game then sat and watched Tiffin kick that field goal to beat us. Always hated Legion Field- even though it cost us some probation was glad that Dye gave Bham the finger.....

8 hours ago, RunInRed said:

Not drop calls ... but certainly a dropped ball ... the Obomanu drop in the end zone vs. Ole Miss (2003 I believe) ...

-ea4b93094c234dd4.JPG

I was at that game. That dropped pass was such a heartbreaker....

Not only 4 years ago, but 36 years ago. Auburn had this game won late against John Bond and the number 9 ranked State Bulldogs. There are still impressions outside the stadium from where I stomped back to the fraternity house. 

https://maroonandwhitenation.com/2014/10/07/reliving-auburn-mississippi-state-part-one/

1 hour ago, SumterAubie said:

Not only 4 years ago, but 36 years ago. Auburn had this game won late against John Bond and the number 9 ranked State Bulldogs. There are still impressions outside the stadium from where I stomped back to the fraternity house. 

https://maroonandwhitenation.com/2014/10/07/reliving-auburn-mississippi-state-part-one/

Remember that game well. Thought the "offsides" was questionable at the time, thought Bond was across the LOS on the 4th down, but mainly thought: Why the hell didn't Dye just line up and punt on 4th down?

11 minutes ago, fredst said:

Remember that game well. Thought the "offsides" was questionable at the time, thought Bond was across the LOS on the 4th down, but mainly thought: Why the hell didn't Dye just line up and punt on 4th down?

Right. Mine also. A punt through the end zone puts the ball at the 20. With about two minutes left for a wishbone team to drive 80 yards for the game winning td. And Auburn's defense had  played well in the second half, holding State scoreless. 

10 hours ago, RunInRed said:

Not drop calls ... but certainly a dropped ball ... the Obomanu drop in the end zone vs. Ole Miss (2003 I believe) ...

-ea4b93094c234dd4.JPG

bad, bad memories...

17 hours ago, boisnumber1 said:

Seals-Jones not called for targeting.

I don't wish harm on anyone. That being said, if he were to sustain a horrific injury, causing him to miss a few years of football, a great deal of pain and suffering, and doubt to creep in about his future, my biggest concern would be what type of sandwich I would make for lunch.

18 hours ago, RunInRed said:

Yep i remember that.  some ass hat behind me decided to chuck his rum and coke down  our student section. 

15 hours ago, Auctoritas said:

As always, I come here to make a post only to find that we've shared a brain wavelength. Good call.

Compliment taken!

16 hours ago, aubearcat said:

A little further back, Deion Sanders pass interference not called in the Sugar Bowl. 

I was at that game with my family. That moment and the resulting stupid chant from the FSU faithful firmly sealed their fate in my "hated" category....forever.

I can't remember the year but Auburn played Ga. Tech in Birmingham. Tigers jumped out to a 20-0 lead over what I think was a highly ranked tech team. The bad news about all of this was tech came back to win 21-20. :angry:

2001 Vandy

We won, but it was a close game, 24-21. Maybe bc it's Vandy, but  I'm surprised nobody mentioned Dan Stricker's "Phantom TD". It tied the game in the 4th 21-21 I believe. 

Archived