Playoff Chaos

Dual-Threat Rigby

The Sugar Bowl is in New Orleans, right? With Auburn just coming off of a loss there and being one of the closest of the remaining contenders, its automatically likely that they want us to return there. In that case, there's two scenarios we could be faced with that would kick into place soon after (if) Auburn beats UGA.

1. All the other 3 win out more convincingly, Auburn is dropped to 4 in order to play Clemson. This doesn't necessarily have to involve rigging, but it could. Wisconsin is very familiar w the Rose Bowl (as is OSU), so I'm sure they'd like Wisconsin, who makes more geographic sense, to end up there. The reason why I think it'd have to be Wisky who wins is because OSU shouldn't jump Auburn no matter the margin of victory. Auburn could only reasonably fall to 3. Oklahoma also makes more geographic sense there than in NO again. So they probably need to remain #2 which means Clemson needs to win frankly. So basically we get the same 4 as now, but regardless of margins, committee drops us to 4 for ratings

2. This is the nightmare one. 6 years ago, a championship between LSU and our favorite companion team in Louisiana. The ratings, hype, buildup, turnout, would all fair better with Alabama making it over OSU, and even though the game flopped (far too regional), it probably was gonna do better than us having to watch OK St. WHAT IF, the committee sees another chance for a rivalry re-do in the same stadium as 2011? I suggest that regardless of how much Auburn wins by, they get to #1, and just to cover all loose ends, Miami narrowly beats Clemson. the way the poll is set up, Alabama's literally on the precipice so they can pounce on chaos. What if the U just gets left out and UA gets that 4th spot? Hell, just so the CFP can get the most optimal ratings, what if OSU annihilates Wisconsin and gets the 3rd spot? This scenario really just came to me now, but the CFP would LOVE an AU-UA rematch and a OSU-OU rematch that end up in a rematch of UA-OSU. That would be the DREAM for those who run football. Typing it out makes me feel slimy, but it really becomes more and more possible when you look at those rankings. 

How does Wisconsin to Pasadena make more geographical sense than Auburn to Pasadena? They're both about 2000 miles away.

My opinions...

I don't think anyone wants to see AU-UA again, especially after it just happened.

Clemson is legit. The winner of Miami vs Clemson is in. BTW, I don't see Clemson losing that one.

Wisconsin vs OSU winner is in. Wisconsin or obvious reasons. And OSU because they'd get serious love for beating an undefeated Wisconsin.

I think bama needs TCU to beat Oklahoma. That's probably their only way.

I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if Uga leaps bama if and only if the margin of victory is close or they win obviously. Here’s the logic behind it. Yes that would be 2 losses but why punish a team that lost to the same team twice, once in the regular season and once in the “extra” game. Can be easily argued that their body of work is overall more impressive than the turds.

If we win Saturday, I don’t care who else is there. AU is going to be a tough matchup for anyone in front of us. 

I secretly hope bammer can back their way in this year. Call me crazy. Can you imagine the meltdown if we beat them twice? ???

2 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

If we win Saturday, I don’t care who else is there. AU is going to be a tough matchup for anyone in front of us. 

The only one I'm "worried" about is Oklahoma. But jeeeeeez I want that opportunity. I just wish Stoops was still coaching.

I honestly feel good about a match up with any of the top teams right now. First AU has to take care of business for it to even matter. Clemson on a neutral field with our offense showing up....I like our chances. OU is high powered but we would make more stops than them. Wisconsin has not seen anything like AU or even bama/uga and strengths counter theirs.

If bama makes it in we won't see them until the championship game. I don't think they would due that in the semis. I think the dream scenario for the committee would be AU vs OU because it would be a very entertaining game. The winner of Clemson/Miami would give great story lines to a match up with bama. You would have great match ups possible in the finals. Obviously the possible IB rematch. OU/Miami would be an old school classic. OU/bama would get ratings and many would watch an AU/Clemson game after the competitiveness of the first one.

Of course every one could flop this weekend and throw all of this out the window.

27 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

The only one I'm "worried" about is Oklahoma. But jeeeeeez I want that opportunity. I just wish Stoops was still coaching.

'course, like always, we got to play'em (awkward as the wording becomes) one rematch at at time, but

would seem sort'a refreshing to actually play somebody not named Bulldogs or Tigers sometime. Seems like it's been awhile.

1 minute ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

'course, like always, we got to play'em (awkward as the wording becomes) one rematch at at time, but

would seem sort'a refreshing to actually play somebody not named Bulldogs or Tigers sometime. Seems like it's been awhile.

Laughy emoticon aimed at wording, not at message. Truth wrapped in humor is my favorite preparation.

Alabama is in the position to be jumped over one team that wins their Championship game.  A one loss Miami beats a one loss Clemson Miami simply replaces Clemson in the final four and Bama does not move up.  The only way I see Bama getting in is if Ohio State beats Wisky and Oklahoma is beaten by TCU.  Bama would be the only one loss team other than Wisky and Wisky would of lost in the "pre playoff round".

7 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

The Sugar Bowl is in New Orleans, right? With Auburn just coming off of a loss there and being one of the closest of the remaining contenders, its automatically likely that they want us to return there. In that case, there's two scenarios we could be faced with that would kick into place soon after (if) Auburn beats UGA.

Teams seeded one and four will play in the Sugar Bowl. Teams seeded two and three will play in the Rose Bowl. That's set, it doesn't matter who the teams are, this is part of the playoff contract.  1 vs. 4 in Sugar, 2 vs. 3 in Rose.

41 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

OU is the most legit team out of the top 5 IMO. If not #1, then #2.    I live in the OU region and have seen some of their work.   Man they are good and talented.  

Auburn can match up with anyone right now.  

I have no idea why anyone even mentions bama.  Their best win is over #17 LSU?  They have no resume this year.  IF OSU beats Wisc, they have a legit win over a top 5 team.   End of discussion.  

2 minutes ago, Beaker said:

OU is the most legit team out of the top 5 IMO. If not #1, then #2.    I live in the OU region and have seen some of their work.   Man they are good and talented.  

I have no idea why anyone even mentions bama.  Their best win is over #17 LSU?  They have no resume this year.

Don't forget that big win against LSU who played without a quarterback for 3+ quarters of the game. Awfully similar to their title game against UT in 2009. 

41 minutes ago, Beaker said:

I have no idea why anyone even mentions bama.  Their best win is over #17 LSU?  They have no resume this year.  IF OSU beats Wisc, they have a legit win over a top 5 team.   End of discussion.  

What part of Oklahoma do you live in? I'm from there and my brother (die hard OU fan) lives in Yukon.

Just now, WaynesAUworld said:

What part of Oklahoma do you live in? I'm from there and my brother (die hard OU fan) lives in Yukon.

Actually Denton, TX.  They are on TV a bunch.   I do watch some of their highlights and have seen a little of them.  I enjoy Beaver's Bend, OK monthly for Fly Fishing though.

Archived