Thorough Recruiting Update from AUC (12/18/17)

ellitor

14 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Cannot get into the nuts and bolts of your argument but would like to point out that Gus hosting all them recruits during amen corner is a good thing for Auburn. 

It is in the perspective you bring, but this year there were more recruits than normal, and more official visits than normal.  You only have so much time in a day, and with that being a critical game stretch, I think we all would rather our coaches focus on winning the game first, rather than a recruit that may not sign with us.

14 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

These kids are given the time. They are not required to sign tomorrow or on Feb 5th. Coaches are allowed to go ahead and fill spots if fellow recruits are being indecisive though. It’s up to the recruits, definitely the committs, to decide how much they want to be in the class.

They aren't required to sign, but they are heavily pressured to sign.  That is tough on an 18 year old kid.  I mean just look at this thread, you have people upset that Hill is not signing tomorrow.  That is pressure right there on the kid, of people doubting his loyalty to us when he has been upfront from the beginning on when he will sign.  Pressure situations lead to poor choices.  And this signing period adds a lot of stress that wasn't there last year.

Pressure can backfire too.  Pressure someone too much and they will not sign with you because it isn't worth it.  Same goes for business or relationships.

15 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

It is in the perspective you bring, but this year there were more recruits than normal, and more official visits than normal.  You only have so much time in a day, and with that being a critical game stretch, I think we all would rather our coaches focus on winning the game first, rather than a recruit that may not sign with us.

We’ve done this every applicable year dude. The more recruits there the better because our gameday environment is a great recruiting tool. Did you see the results of Amen Corner? We kicked both teams ass despite all the recruits in attendance. Gus knows what he is doing.

15 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Pressure can backfire too

Well then they weren’t committed. Simple

1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

We’ve done this every year dude. The more recruits there the better because our gameday environment is a great recruiting tool. Did you see the results of Amen Corner? We kicked both teams ass despite all the recruits in attendance. Gus knows what he is doing.

I think you are completely missing the point of what I am trying to say.  It is not just the environment of the game the recruits experience.  The coaches need to take time to talk to each recruit on their visit too, but they only have so much time.  That one-on-one time has to happen before or after the game.  This has been done every year, but not to the degree it was this year.

3 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Well then they weren’t committed. Simple

Again I think you are missing the point of what I was saying.  I can tell you have never been in sales before.  You can have someone committed, but if you pressure them to death they will de-commit.  Here is an example that may help: If you are dating someone and he/she wants to take it slow.  You can tell they really like you, but you would like to take it faster and jump into a relationship.  You keep asking him/her and wanting it to be more to where it stresses him/her out too much and things don't work out.  Doesn't mean he/she wasn't committed.  They just needed to do it on their schedule for their own reasons and you couldn't respect that.  No relationship ends well when it starts with pressure or an ultimatum.

I am with Ellitor if I was a recruit I would wait if I could. It is not just because of the coaching Carousel but look what happened last year for Auburn with picking up a QB late that many think will turn into a really good QB. If we had an early signing period last year and he did not have an offer from Auburn at the time we could have easily lost him. Garner seems to pull in players late every year over time that may stop because of the early signing period. 

No way would I hold it against a recruit wanting to wait and see the whole picture before signing. That said if they wait they could also lose out as somebody could beat them to the punch nothing is evert balck and white  there is always a little grey when it comes to recruiting and signing.

10 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

The coaches need to take time to talk to each recruit on their visit too, but they only have so much time.  That one-on-one time has to happen before or after the game.  This has been done every year, but not to the degree it was this year.

You’re missing my point: the coaches know what they’re doing. Did you even watch the games during Amen Corner? Our coaches were on point both games despite all the recruits being there. You cannot deny that.

10 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I can tell you have never been in sales before.  You can have someone committed, but if you pressure them to death they will de-commit.

This isn’t sales. There are deadlines and the coaches have to move on if other capable kids want the spot. 

And I have done sales. Even then, when I figured out the customer werent serious about buying, I had to cut the losses because I was on straight commission and wasted a s*** ton of time. 

Quay looking less and less likely as bama lost out on a hopeful LB flip that ended up flipping from BYU to Wash - and - JJ Peterson is seriously considering joining Pruitt.  No way they let a 3rd one loose, right?

https://www.seccountry.com/alabama/alabama-crimson-tide-recruiting-jj-peterson-tennessee-leader-update

8 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

You’re missing my point: the coaches know what they’re doing. Did you even watch the games during Amen Corner? Our coaches were on point both games despite all the recruits being there. You cannot deny

It was at all of the home games.  I fully understand your point, I have since I originally commented.  Coaches were on point for both games, but it is more unnecessary pressure having to meet with more kids one-on-one.  Pressure that will only intensify each year as more and more recruits enroll early.

8 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

This isn’t sales. There are deadlines and the coaches have to move on if other capable kids want the spot. 

This is exactly what sales is.  What do you think sales is..?  These coaches are selling their product to these kids.  The coaches are selling the university, the facilities, the chance for a championship, and the ability to hone in on their craft to go on to the NFL.  Their payment for this product?  their LOI and 3+ years of their time.

Although I am having this conversation with you that leans against the early signing period, I am really on the fence about it.  I can see both sides.  I understand why some hate it, and why some want it.  I just think if we do this, at a minimum there needs to also be a decline for the coaches of when they can jump ship that needs to be before national signing day.

1 minute ago, AUDevil said:

Quay looking less and less likely as bama lost out on a hopeful LB flip that ended up flipping from BYU to Wash - and - JJ Peterson is seriously considering joining Pruitt.  No way they let a 3rd one loose, right?

Hmmm. We need to put our LB recruits on lockdown for the next couple days. 

Just now, abw0004 said:

It was at all of the home games.  I fully understand your point, I have since I originally commented.  Coaches were on point for both games, but it is more unnecessary pressure.  Pressure that will only intensify each year as more and more recruits enroll early.

This is exactly what sales is.  What do you think sales is..?  These coaches are selling their product to these kids.  The coaches are selling the university, the facilities, the chance for a championship, and the ability to hone in on their craft to go on to the NFL.  Their payment for this product?  their LOI and 3+ years of their time.

Although I am having this conversation with you that leans against the early signing period, I am really on the fence about it.  I can see both sides.  I understand why some hate it, and why some want it.  I just think if we do this, at a minimum there needs to also be a decline for the coaches of when they can jump ship that needs to be before national signing day.

Great conversation baw. Out

I like the  two signing days, I think. We will know more after it has been in place a couple of years. But it gives the coaches options if a kid doesn't sign early you have some time to adjust and find a replacement. We have been played several times in the last few years on signing day and the early signing period may help put a stop to that kind of crap.

I like the early signing period. Prospects that have their mind made up can sign and get recruiters off their backs. Coaches can focus on what needs remain to be filled. We have always had prospects on campus for home games. Pat Dye had over 100 here for the 1989 Iron Bowl. That's an effective recruiting tool. UAT moved their home Iron Bowl game from B'ham to Tuscaloser for that very reason, so they could invite prospects to their home game.

About that "what if coaches move on" thought, the best advice ever given to any recruit, and it's given frequently, is "Don't commit to a coach, commit to a school". Anyone that ignores that does so at their own peril.

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

About that "what if coaches move on" thought, the best advice ever given to any recruit, and it's given frequently, is "Don't commit to a coach, commit to a school". Anyone that ignores that does so at their own peril.

I've heard that saying many times and there is some truth in it, but there's no way that who the coaches are at a school is not a factor in a kid's decision.  Most of the kids committing to Auburn (or other top-tier schools) have aspirations of playing in the NFL.  Who their coaches will be and how they intend to utilize and develop a given player's skill set is a big factor in the decision.  We frequently see where there is a coaching change and the new coach comes in with a different philosophy and a some players have skill set that doesn't fit as well (likewise, some players who were languishing down the depth chart rise to the occasion and thrive in the new system).  So, who the coaches are matters.  But I'm sure most kids are savvy enough to know that there are no guarantees that the coach they sign with will be there until they graduate or move on..   

Deciding on a school can be based on lots of different criteria. A lot of the really good players realize that while they might want to go to the NFL there is no such thing as a sure thing. Some players pick the school because their family has a strong tradition with the school so that is more important then who the coaches are. Some pick it because of their major and the strength of the school in that major. Some pick because they think the coaches at the school fit their strengths and that the school will be able to showcase those skills to get to the next level.  Some pick a school because it is close to home while others pick a school to get away and see new things. Others go there because their girl friend is going there and some just on a whim.

Some kids at 17 or 18 are very mature and weigh multiple factors others are less mature and may pick a school because of peer pressure or even to avoid pressure. Some kids want the pressure to end so the early signing period is great some like the limelight so want to wait. Some want to wait to see if a scholly at their preferred school opens up because somebody switched.

They are kids who are we to judge them on whether they sign early or late or if they pick a school for what I consider wrong reasons. The only time I judge a kid is when it seems to me that they are playing Auburn but even then we don't know what type pressure that kid may be getting from people in their home town or from their family.  

At the end Auburn will sign the players that we sign and I will pull for each and every one of those players just like I always pull for Auburn

5 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

If we had an early signing period last year and he did not have an offer from Auburn at the time we could have easily lost him.

He had an AU offer but it had just happened so it may have been too late had Va. Tech been able to sign him inDecember.

Archived