2018 Fall Camp - Final Scrimmage

RunInRed

2 minutes ago, fredst said:

Say what you will but this is what Saban has done well- get young/inexperienced guys live reps that count and play the guys that are the best regardless of seniority. Hope our talent depth allows us to start doing that to some extent (I realize Saban is playing with a different deck of cards than almost every other program)

Heck Gus Malzahn good friend Hugh freeze  was good with this. He always had freshmen coming up big, in big time games.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

"It's good right now that we have options," he said. "You can't have enough depth at running back in this league."

There are moments when I think somebody needs to punch Gus in the mouth.  Did he believe the same last year?

His throat not his mouth.  Punch him in his throat lol.

37 minutes ago, DAG said:

Heck Gus Malzahn good friend Hugh freeze  was good with this. He always had freshmen coming up big, in big time games.

I feel like Gus just replays in his head Roc Thomas during the first play of the 2014 Iron Bowl over and over again every time he thinks about putting a freshman in. Gus' trust truly is very difficult to earn and very easy to lose.

19 hours ago, TAYLORKEETON said:

People also forget Dyer’s size. He had the body of a senior as a freshman & that’s one reason he was so reliable. He also held onto the rock. He was like 5’8  220 & built somewhat similar to Maurice Jones-Drew. 

That's why I don't understand why we don't recruit that body type anymore.

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Not necessarily.  They're called gamers for a reason...

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

I know some that are ...but realistically they are extremely rare, at least from my playing experience. I had a friend who could not cut it in practice but when game time hit, he would score 25-30 easy. So I see your point

eas

2 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Also any one of us would not have changed the game plan the week of the game

If it was ever really changed. From Chandler Cox's post gamer, he didn't sound like he ever knew there would be qb carousel.

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

Seems like I remember a player, maybe Vincent Jackson?  Heard he wasn't into practice all that much.  Maybe  I remember that wrong though.

12 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Seems like I remember a player, maybe Vincent Jackson?  Heard he wasn't into practice all that much.  Maybe  I remember that wrong though.

From a different planet!!! You can’t use him to make comparison. ? 

" I think the first three or four games will tell us where we're at."

I'm sorry to repeat this, but is there any other coach in the country who says it is going to take us 3-4 games to figure out WTF we are gonna do for the season?

Come on, we've got a returning QB who is semi-decent, we've got WRs who are semi-decent, we-ve got a front 7 defensively who are excellent, we've got a kicker, we've got a punter ---------

Auburn has all the elements of a very good, competitive team. So, WTF with "three or four games will tell us where we're at."?

Sigh. I am so tired of these cruel sh*t season starts, when we have extraordinary talent and sh*t game day coaching.

5 minutes ago, AURex said:

" I think the first three or four games will tell us where we're at."

I'm sorry to repeat this, but is there any other coach in the country who says it is going to take us 3-4 games to figure out WTF we are gonna do for the season?

Come on, we've got a returning QB who is semi-decent, we've got WRs who are semi-decent, we-ve got a front 7 defensively who are excellent, we've got a kicker, we've got a punter ---------

Auburn has all the elements of a very good, competitive team. So, WTF with "three or four games will tell us where we're at."?

Sigh. I am so tired of these cruel sh*t season starts, when we have extraordinary talent and sh*t game day coaching.

We all know Gus's history and all but it could just be that when he said 3 or 4 games we'll know, that he means after LSU and Arkansas. Its probably a stretch considering Gus but I remember back before the conference expansion we didn't know what we had until we played Tennessee. That was usually game 3 or 4. I think after Washington, LSU and Arky the we will certainly know how the line, secondary, backs and receivers will handle a big game. 

5 hours ago, DAG said:

I don’t trust CGM evaluation in playing the best 11 players when it is all said in done.

I trust the staff to put the 11 players out there that they think give us the best chance to win. Since neither one of us knows how many balls the freshman WR guys have dropped, how many blocks they've missed or how many wrong routes they have run, I'll be satisfied with the coaching staff's decisions about their playing time. You can be unhappy and moan about it if you choose.

The idea that we can tell more about a player's readiness to contribute from internet and TV news blurbs than coaches that work with them constantly is ludicrous.

2 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I trust the staff to put the 11 players out there that they think give us the best chance to win. Since neither one of us knows how many balls the freshman WR guys have dropped, how many blocks they've missed or how many wrong routes they have run, I'll be satisfied with the coaching staff's decisions about their playing time. You can be unhappy and moan about it if you choose.

The idea that we can tell more about a player's readiness to contribute from internet and TV news blurbs than coaches that work with them constantly is ludicrous.

We know you trust Gus with about anything including your life I imagine. I don’t know any of that. I can only assume what is going on in practice just like you . However, the things that I have stated, which you continuously choose to gloss over, have been seen by countless of Auburn and opposing fans. Any coach who thinks it is smart to run the ball 20 straight times or to use 3 different QBs against a top ten team is asking, nay, begging to be questioned from time to time. And I am ludicrous? Get real.

1 minute ago, DAG said:

We know you trust Gus with about anything including your life I imagine. I don’t know any of that. I can only assume what is going on in practice just like you . However, the things that I have stated, which you continuously choose to gloss over, have been seen by countless of Auburn and opposing fans. Any coach who thinks it is smart to run the ball 20 straight times or to use 3 different QBs against a top ten team is asking, nay, begging to be questioned from time to time. And I am ludicrous? Get real.

Your claim that Seth Williams should get playing time, which you clearly state is based on reports you've seen, is ludicrous. Your position is that those reports should supersede what the coaches want to do. So yes, that's way off center.

About pounding the ball when the team has a big lead....every coach Auburn has had since 1951 has done that. Spurrier's teams at Florida passed very little in the 2nd half when he had what he considered to be a safe lead. Do you think they are all stupid?

40 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Your claim that Seth Williams should get playing time, which you clearly state is based on reports you've seen, is ludicrous. Your position is that those reports should supersede what the coaches want to do. So yes, that's way off center.

About pounding the ball when the team has a big lead....every coach Auburn has had since 1951 has done that. Spurrier's teams at Florida passed very little in the 2nd half when he had what he considered to be a safe lead. Do you think they are all stupid?

Nope . I’ve said and maintained that the coach should play the best eleven players period. The fact that JS out of his own freaking mouth, (you know the starting QB?) has said that Seth Williams is a flat out playmaker only supports your position that he is getting it done in practice mode. He even goes out to say that he might have the best vertical out of anyone on the team.

http://sports.usatoday.com/2018/08/09/auburn-freshman-wr-seth-williams-showing-he-can-go-up-and-get-the-ball-in-fall-camp/

What about Chandler Cox? I imagine he doesn’t know anything.

http://www.theplainsman.com/article/2018/08/freshman-wr-seth-williams-catching-every-ball-thrown-his-way

So you have two veteran players complimenting a true freshman WR and I am ludicrous for thinking he deserves playing time? You sound foolish.

What about pounding the ball 17 consecutive straight times on first down when your team DOES NOT have a big lead? That’s what AU did.  

https://www.seccountry.com/auburn/auburn-football-consecutive-first-down-runs-lsu

Do I think Steve Spurrier, NC and HOF coach would do something like this? No!

In fact , it is an unprecedented achievement.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/10/15/16477522/lsu-auburn-game-2017-final-score-results

Now can you back up your claims that coaches in the past have done anything that resembles this feat?

8 hours ago, DAG said:

So you have two veteran players complimenting a true freshman WR and I am ludicrous for thinking he deserves playing time? You sound foolish.

No, you were saying Williams should be put out there regardless and allowed to make mistakes, which is how this entire discussion started. He'll get his PT if the coaches decide he's ready and he won't if they don't think he's ready. Veteran players compliment newcomers every year. Some pan out, some don't. There is nothing new about that.

8 hours ago, DAG said:

Now can you back up your claims that coaches in the past have done anything that resembles this feat?

Pat Dye's use of Stacy Danley comes to mind for starters.

17 minutes ago, Mikey said:

No, you were saying Williams should be put out there regardless and allowed to make mistakes, which is how this entire discussion started. He'll get his PT if the coaches decide he's ready and he won't if they don't think he's ready. Veteran players compliment newcomers every year. Some pan out, some don't. There is nothing new about that.

Pat Dye's use of Stacy Danley comes to mind for starters.

Or Terry Henley in 1972...was at the Ole Miss game and he ran the ball a few plays, took a rest and ran it again all day long. That was the year after Pat Sullivan was gone and the offense gone with him.   .  

Coaches do what they think they have to do to win a game....including working a workhorse back if they need to. 

Just now, AU64 said:

Or Terry Henley in 1972...was at the Ole Miss game and he ran the ball a few plays, took a rest and ran it again all day long. That was the year after Pat Sullivan was gone and the offense gone with him.   .  

Coaches do what they think they have to do to win a game....including working a workhorse back if they need to. 

We should definitely lean on 46 year old offensive ideas.

Of course coaches do what they think they have to do. Nobody has ever argued otherwise. What anyone who is not predetermined to protect the $7 million dollar man at all costs can see is that coaches are often wrong, and our has been wildly, bafflingly so several times. So it is folly to give him the benefit of the doubt on *every single decision* the way that some here do. 

9 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

We should definitely lean on 46 year old offensive ideas.

Of course coaches do what they think they have to do. Nobody has ever argued otherwise. What anyone who is not predetermined to protect the $7 million dollar man at all costs can see is that coaches are often wrong, and our has been wildly, bafflingly so several times. So it is folly to give him the benefit of the doubt on *every single decision* the way that some here do. 

Of cast doubt on every single decision as some here are inclined to do also.   :)    

As for 46 year old offensive ideas.....if you take a look the NFL is still mostly running the offenses it did in the 1960s....pro-style, otherwise known as I-formation with a sprinkling of T or some variations.   

When coach says "three or four games" it's alarming. Whoever isn't alarmed by his statement, good for you. I hope Coach is just trolling us. There's a lot hope in here that he'll change a couple of his tendencies. Sundays presser diminished that hope a little.

9 hours ago, DAG said:

The fact that JS out of his own freaking mouth, (you know the starting QB?) has said that Seth Williams is a flat out playmaker only supports your position that he is getting it done in practice mode. 

Would you expect JS to tell tbe media that SW needs more work or anything else of that nature? All of our coaches and players are taught how to give interviews. Not to mention often the interviewer is often asking about many players, just wanting to fill the piece they’re writing about. 

I’m very hopeful that SW turns out to be the next great jump ball threat similar to Duke. We could use one. 

9 hours ago, DAG said:

I mean, with the new redshirt rules allowing playing time, it’d be kind of hard to not deserve playing time. Playing time will allow the coaches more film so that they can find greater clarity in the young athlete and the strengths and weaknesses that they have.

13 minutes ago, jAUSon said:

When coach says "three or four games" it's alarming. Whoever isn't alarmed by his statement, good for you. I hope Coach is just trolling us. There's a lot hope in here that he'll change a couple of his tendencies. Sundays presser diminished that hope a little.

Doesn't bother me a bit....

That's why NFL plays exhibition games ….to see what they have.....and generally it's coach speak anyway .....which makes me wonder why anyone really gets caught up in the nebulous commentary.   

JMO but any coach worth his salt is not going to knowing put out news that will hurt the team or give the opposition some ideas about what they will see.   Even announcing starters ahead of the season......JMO but unless it is clear-cut like Stidham, I would let the opponents learn who the starters are when the players go out for the first play from scrimmage. 

You know, the first 3 or 4 games and the NFL exhibition are a good correlation other than the fact the first 3 or 4 games in NCAA count.  But I also see it a bit like the spring game - is your 1st string offense that good or your 2nd string that bad if that is what the score shows.   When you are only playing your own team, it can take abit to see what you have against other talent, other schemes and how players may handle adversity or success.

I don't think Gus' comment of 3 or 4 games to see what we got means he doesn't know the talent and capabilities on the team and who is performing better/to his expectations, but how he thinks the overall performance will be for the season.  Right now, all teams are undefeated and hoping to go 15-0, I think Gus' comment is his own assessment of will we realistically go 15-0 can be best measured after 3 or 4 games.  He will be able to see how his team (as well as other teams perform) and then be able to be realistic about chances.  that doesn't mean he will ever say anything different than we are here to win championships (coach speak).

My two cents as I enjoy some cooler temps in the NC mountains on a little vaca before the season begins......

Archived