2018 Fall Camp - Final Scrimmage

RunInRed

I think folks are reading too much into Gus' statement.  We do, after all, have a few areas of uncertainty.  We think we have the o-line sorted out.  The coaches have observed their performance against our defense (which is a good test) and have an idea of their capabilities.  But game time is different than practice - kids are more hyped up and nervous.  How are they going to handle the pressure?  How they going to gel as a unit? 

Likewise with the defensive backfield.  Those guys have to be able to communicate and work as a unit.  Will they be able to do that without Tray Matthews and Stephen Roberts out there to guide them? 

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Of cast doubt on every single decision as some here are inclined to do also.   :)    

There's only one A4E and he doesn't count. :laugh:

As for 46 year old offensive ideas.....if you take a look the NFL is still mostly running the offenses it did in the 1960s....pro-style, otherwise known as I-formation with a sprinkling of T or some variations.   

I don't think that's accurate. Just read about fullbacks, for example, since you mentioned I-formation. 

The de-clustering of the sport is naturally not the best thing for fullbacks, who have historically specialized at mashing in close quarters. There are now college teams that don’t use them, and many NFL teams have basically eliminated them.

Not to mention, of course, that Auburn isn't an NFL team. Vast differences between the college and pro games, and as that article mentions the NFL is always last to adapt. 

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

No, you were saying Williams should be put out there regardless and allowed to make mistakes, which is how this entire discussion started. He'll get his PT if the coaches decide he's ready and he won't if they don't think he's ready. Veteran players compliment newcomers every year. Some pan out, some don't. There is nothing new about that.

Pat Dye's use of Stacy Danley comes to mind for starters.

Quote where I said Williams should play regardless. Quote that statement. I am tired of you making up stuff and running with it. Your disciple on this thread told me you bring wisdom on this board and you back up what you say with it. 

if you are one the best you should play. Guess what? Even the best make mistakes. Holy crap. Should JS been bench last year for throwing picks? How about his fumble against UGA in the SEC championship game? Should Slayton have lost his position because he dropped passes? It is impossible to not make a mistake. I don’t care if it is Seth Williams or the walk on from possum grape, Arkansas, if you are one of the best , there is absolutely no reason for you to not see PT.

we are back to square one. We will always disagree with this because I’ve said I am not giving CGM the benefit of a doubt in his evaluation of putting the best out there ( Cough, cough SW vs UGA 2016). Not consistently at least . You do. No matter what. That is where the convo ends. 

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

Your disciple on this thread

Pull your pants up, your butthurt is showing. 

There's no question Coach meant it will take three or four games to gauge how good we are and how our season should go. But he has a flare for taking a couple of games to, for lack of better words, even have a good game, even when the actual team is a world beater. Nobody wants to see that anymore. Maybe there's enough experience and continuity on the team to come out total kung-fu week one. That would be refreshing. Is it our lot in life to never have an awesome week one? 

1 minute ago, jAUSon said:

There's no question Coach meant it will take three or four games to gauge how good we are and how our season should go. But he has a flare for taking a couple of games to, for lack of better words, even have a good game, even when the actual team is a world beater. Nobody wants to see that anymore. Maybe there's enough experience and continuity on the team to come out total kung-fu week one. That would be refreshing. Is it our lot in to never have an awesome week one? 

We will see come week one. We honestly don’t have time to figure this stuff out with our schedule.

1 hour ago, jAUSon said:

When coach says "three or four games" it's alarming. Whoever isn't alarmed by his statement, good for you. I hope Coach is just trolling us. There's a lot hope in here that he'll change a couple of his tendencies. Sundays presser diminished that hope a little.

That would actually be funny. It speaks so directly to one of the primary complaints going back two or three years now that it almost sounds like it could be.

I think it's okay for him to say that, though. I mean, I totally get the frustration and even said "Ruh roh" when I read the quote, but I'm okay with it. Every team takes 3 or 4 games every season to really get settled in. It's just that ours has had to find a new identity every season since 2014, and before that it had been every season since 2007. This is literally our 2nd year in 10 where we weren't pretty much starting over completely on offense. In fact, I think we've had 4 seasons in that time with multiple QBs? Anyway. We're a little gun shy here. And for a pretty good reason IMO. 

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

That would actually be funny. It speaks so directly to one of the primary complaints going back two or three years now that it almost sounds like it could be.

I think it's okay for him to say that, though. I mean, I totally get the frustration and even said "Ruh roh" when I read the quote, but I'm okay with it. Every team takes 3 or 4 games every season to really get settled in. It's just that ours has had to find a new identity every season since 2014, and before that it had been every season since 2007. This is literally our 2nd year in 10 where we weren't pretty much starting over completely on offense. In fact, I think we've had 4 seasons in that time with multiple QBs? Anyway. We're a little gun shy here. And for a pretty good reason IMO. 

agree...not fun to have to start over every year with new players in key positions.....but not too unusual either. 

And did you happen to read that Shea Patterson has been named starting QB at Michigan?    So wondering what happened to the half dozen or more QBs that Harbough recruited the past couple years? 

JMO but we have a pretty good learning curve to deal with .....lots of new players who have not played together yet....and scrimmages are not the same thing even when coaches try to make they feel like the real thing.  

I'm just hoping that Stidham takes the next step forward,...…... learns how to deal with a rush, can get every snap from the center cleanly and learns that an incomplete pass is preferable to a SAC.    If that happens, I'm thinking our offense will be very good.   

When we have players as talented as we have, on both sides of the ball, there are not many teams that are going to out talent us on the field. Our players already face some of the best players in the country (DL vs OL etc) in pre-season camp. It seems to me the 'biggest' difference in the first 4 games is that the coaches are not facing their own staff in camp anymore. Now they are facing an opposing coaching staff in the game. Just an observation 

14 hours ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

We thought we did last season, then LSU happened. 

We knew what we had and who we were. That's how we jumped out to that lead. Gus just put all of his worst tendencies on display at once after we got up "big". I feel it was a teaching moment for him. A guy on a normal career trajectory- as opposed to a head coach who hasn't been in the game as long as most position coaches, much less any coordinator or certainly any P5 conference champion-level head coach- probably doesn't make that mistake and Gus probably won't ever do it again. 

On 8/22/2018 at 8:25 AM, McLoofus said:

We knew what we had and who we were. That's how we jumped out to that lead. Gus just put all of his worst tendencies on display at once after we got up "big". I feel it was a teaching moment for him. A guy on a normal career trajectory- as opposed to a head coach who hasn't been in the game as long as most position coaches, much less any coordinator or certainly any P5 conference champion-level head coach- probably doesn't make that mistake and Gus probably won't ever do it again. 

He's had many "teaching moments" over the years and nothing's changed. He is who he is.

Archived