ellitor

2020 4* QB Robby Ashford

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

He's got two now in Bo and JG.....can't see why another would want to come in as part of the same class. ...and not sure Ashford is in the "elite" classification anyway. ...would prefer to have him for baseball from what I hear. .

From everything I've read and heard, many of the recruiting analysts seem to think Joey was much closer to a project than a cant miss college QB prospect. Not saying they are right, but it is what it is. And Nix, come on man, that one was a slam dunk for any AU coach as long as we weren't terrible. Bo and Pat Nix are AU through and through. I do think Gus will run some zone read with Nix. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




5 minutes ago, twilli13 said:

From everything I've read and heard, many of the recruiting analysts seem to think Joey was much closer to a project than a cant miss college QB prospect. Not saying they are right, but it is what it is

It's what it was. What recruiting services say or think aren't the end-all-be-all. Indications are from a number of reliable sources that Joey has taken his development seriously. Let's see if being a more accurate passer follows.

10 minutes ago, twilli13 said:

And Nix, come on man, that one was a slam dunk for any AU coach as long as we weren't terrible. Bo and Pat Nix are AU through and through

Regardless of how we got him he still can be a very important piece.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, twilli13 said:

From everything I've read and heard, many of the recruiting analysts seem to think Joey was much closer to a project than a cant miss college QB prospect. Not saying they are right, but it is what it is. And Nix, come on man, that one was a slam dunk for any AU coach as long as we weren't terrible. Bo and Pat Nix are AU through and through. I do think Gus will run some zone read with Nix. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Guess it depends on what "scouting services" you are reading but 30 offers from about every SEC and Big 10 school?   Guess you missed that.  Far more top schools than AU were after JG....And why does it matter how BN came to Auburn? ...he's here and that's what matters and JMO but there is not much point in going after another guy now who is no more of a sure thing than JG and a freshman too. 

"elite" QBs are transferring all over the place this week because they could not make it at the schools they first signed with.   Declaring a HS player as "elite' at age 17 or 18 is a stretch in most cases. ….though some turn out to match the hype......but many don't.  JG may or may not become a starting QB but there is no reason to believe that it was a bad risk to sign him. 

  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, AU64 said:

 

Guess it depends on what "scouting services" you are reading but 30 offers from about every SEC and Big 10 school?   Guess you missed that.  Far more top schools than AU were after JG....And why does it matter how BN came to Auburn? ...he's here and that's what matters and JMO but there is not much point in going after another guy now who is no more of a sure thing than JG and a freshman too. 

"elite" QBs are transferring all over the place this week because they could not make it at the schools they first signed with.   Declaring a HS player as "elite' at age 17 or 18 is a stretch in most cases. ….though some turn out to match the hype......but many don't.  JG may or may not become a starting QB but there is no reason to believe that it was a bad risk to sign him. 

Gatewood was being offered as an athlete by most of the bigger schools, just so you know.  Apparently you didnt. He didnt even start at QB for his highschool. It matters in the context of my original post how Nix came to AU because I said Gus couldnt close elite dual threat qbs. I don't count Nix as a Gus close because of his ties to AU. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, ellitor said:

It's what it was. What recruiting services say or think aren't the end-all-be-all. Indications are from a number of reliable sources that Joey has taken his development seriously. Let's see if being a more accurate passer follows.

Regardless of how we got him he still can be a very important piece.

I never said they were. I'd just prefer Gus be able to close dual threats that are a little less of a project, but whatever. I guess you think otherwise...is it because of his awesome track record developing qbs?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, ellitor said:

 

Regardless of how we got him he still can be a very important piece.

I'll agree with you on this part. I hope Gis can find a good role for him, but color me skeptical until proven otherwise. I hope I'm wrong and Gus develops him at QB or actually finds another role and uses him effectively. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ellitor said:

Remains to be seen if Bo will be a true dual QB in college. I think they will run him enough just to keep teams honest instead of as a weapon a la Cam & Nick.

However, He seems to have more of the ability and willingness to take off when plays don't develop correctly or break down

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, twilli13 said:

Gatewood was being offered as an athlete by most of the bigger schools, just so you know.  Apparently you didnt. He didnt even start at QB for his highschool. It matters in the context of my original post how Nix came to AU because I said Gus couldnt close elite dual threat qbs. I don't count Nix as a Gus close because of his ties to AU. 

I'm aware of his HS record and still does not matter about how BN got to AU...Just a reminder, the OP was about Ashford, not gus and not JG. 

and have not seen how much interest we have in Ashford though he apparently has an offer.  Also don't see that he is "elite or a make or break for anyone.   He's got some good offers but no specific interest apparently.    Another year to see what he does and what AU does too I guess. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, twilli13 said:

I never said they were. I'd just prefer Gus be able to close dual threats that are a little less of a project, but whatever. I guess you think otherwise

Didn't say nor imply I thought otherwise. I have said countless time he was a project. All I was saying is just because services deemed him a project doesn't mean he should be written off as a QB. That was how your other post came across even if you didn't intend it that way. FWIW most QBs in every class are projects. The % of projects are even higher in the dual threat catagory FWIW.

1 hour ago, twilli13 said:

.is it because of his awesome track record developing qbs?

You clearly haven't read my posts over the years which is funny but cool.

1 hour ago, twilli13 said:

I'll agree with you on this part. I hope Gis can find a good role for him, but color me skeptical until proven otherwise. I hope I'm wrong and Gus develops him at QB or actually finds another role and uses him effectively.  

Totally agree.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, twilli13 said:

I don't count Nix as a Gus close because of his ties to AU. 

Well even with the legacy advantage he still had to close the deal. Bo did his due diligence in the recruiting process. Gus has complete control of offensive recruiting so he gets credit for the recruiting Ws as well as the Ls on offense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Well even with the legacy advantage he still had to close the deal. Bo did his due diligence in the recruiting process. Gus has complete control of offensive recruiting so he gets credit for the recruiting Ws as well as the Ls on offense.

Yeah, I was a little worried when jimbo went to T AnM that he might have a chance at BN. I’m not sure about the chance of BN going there but Auburn/CGM closed it out solid. Gotta give credit when it’s due.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, toddc said:

Yeah, I was a little worried when jimbo went to T AnM that he might have a chance at BN. I’m not sure about the chance of BN going there but Auburn/CGM closed it out solid. Gotta give credit when it’s due.

Jimbo had a better chance of landing him while he was at FSU before he went to A&M.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm hoping our new OC will be the one developing the QB's now. It's supposed to be his specialty.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When people write off Gatewood because he “couldn’t even start in high school” it really makes me chuckle 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

When people write off Gatewood because he “couldn’t even start in high school” it really makes me chuckle 

Seems like a damn legitimate reason to question his ability to be a full time starter inbthe SEC, which is light years above any high school. to me. Do tell, good sir, the punchline to this epic joke that's going on in your head. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ellitor said:

Well even with the legacy advantage he still had to close the deal. Bo did his due diligence in the recruiting process. Gus has complete control of offensive recruiting so he gets credit for the recruiting Ws as well as the Ls on offense.

We will agree to disagree on this one. Comparing Gus 'closing' Bo Nix to closing say, Justin Fields, a guy with no AU ties is apples to oranges. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, twilli13 said:

Seems like a damn legitimate reason to question his ability to be a full time starter inbthe SEC, which is light years above any high school. to me. Do tell, good sir, the punchline to this epic joke that's going on in your head. 

Did you follow his recruitment in the slightest or do you normally throw crap against a wall and hope it sticks? I ask this before I have to explain something that’s been explained ad nauseam on this site since we landed him? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ellitor said:

FWIW most QBs in every class are projects. The % of projects are even higher in the dual threat catagory FWIW.

 

Seriously....really? No, really? Im laughing at this one. There are clearly QBs that are way more projects than others are coming g out of highschool. Gatewood definitely fits the project criteria....says literally everyone. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Did you follow his recruitment in the slightest or do you normally throw crap against a wall and hope it sticks? I ask this before I have to explain something that’s been explained ad nauseam on this site since we landed him? 

Lol smartass. Go ahead and give me your lame excuse for why Gatewood didnt start in highschool. Probably got it out of the Sunshine Pumpers 101 Manual. Didnt realize you were such an expert on his recruitment. But, no seriously, go ahead and blow me out of water with this revelation you've had to explain ad nauseam since he committed. I'm sure its brilliant. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, twilli13 said:

Lol smartass. Go ahead and give me your lame excuse for why Gatewood didnt start in highschool. Probably got it out of the Sunshine Pumpers 101 Manual. Didnt realize you were such an expert on his recruitment. But, no seriously, go ahead and blow me out of water with this revelation you've had to explain ad nauseam since he committed. I'm sure its brilliant. 

Weird hill to die on here by you but here we go. If you followed his recruitment at all, you’re aware that his coach, Darrell Sutherland, has rotated QB’s since he took over at Bartram Trail. This is regardless of talent. Joey was the best athlete on his team and pretty much played everywhere on the field. He led BT to a 7A championship game and passed for 1,468 yards and 12 TD and rushed for 1,100 yards with 16 scores and was an Elite 11 finalist. Those stats are with him literally rotating every other drive with his teammate Riley Smith who ended up going to Boise State.

 

Not a sunshine pumper but you just don’t know what you’re talking about and while Joey Gatewood was a project coming in, most freshman QB’s aren’t lighting CFB on fire. Bama wanted him as a QB and Jimbo Fisher wanted him as a QB when he was still at FSU. 

Edited by ClaytonAU
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, twilli13 said:

Seems like a damn legitimate reason to question his ability to be a full time starter inbthe SEC, which is light years above any high school. to me. Do tell, good sir, the punchline to this epic joke that's going on in your head. 

His High School coach had two D1 QB;s on his roster. One of them could play more than 1 position. Don't be an idiot. No high school coach sits D1 talent behind another. Saban offered Gatewood at QB. I don't know how he will pan out. But lots of people were impressed with him in high school.

Edited by Cardin Drake
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bg5 said:

I'm hoping our new OC will be the one developing the QB's now. It's supposed to be his specialty.

Yup. Let’s see if he gets a chance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, twilli13 said:

Gatewood definitely fits the project criteria....says literally everyone. 

Including myself 500 million times. Jesus why do you have to be such a hard head  and be argumentative even when there was agreement on a freaking post?

Edited by ellitor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Including myself 500 million times. Jesus why do you have to be such a hard head  and be argumentative even when there was agreement on a freaking post?

Lol. You are literally going back and forth with me and arguing your point making you just as hard headed. You said most QBs in every class are projects, whereas I disagree and then used Gatewood as an example of a project qb. Dont just pull this out of context and act like I just mentioned it out of the blue again. It was part of a specific retort to something you said. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now