Where is the problem

bigbird

20 minutes ago, Shady Hollow AU said:

Would blaming Grimes for this mess be inappropriate?

As a boardmember and co-founder- I say co-founder because I don't want to claim sole responsibility- of the JB Grimes Fan Club and Idiot Convention, I say yes. 100%.

Grimes, Hand, Gus, Lindsey, Lashlee, Chizik, Tony Franklin, Kaleb Kim's high school coach.... bring EVERYONE in for questioning. 

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree that the o line is our biggest problem, but is not our only problem on offense.

Stidham just does not fit Gus offensive philosophy. We made it work last year and be effective bc we had an NFL caliber rb in Kerrion. We saw that when  he went down last year, our offense went from being great to being mediocre at best. With the absence of that stud rb this year and a weak ol, Stidham looks like an average qb. We would need a true dt qb this year to offset the bad play of the ol and not having a rb the caliber of kj.

Unfortunately Gus is too stubborn to see where the weaknesses are and change them, and our coaches just seem to not be able to coach their positions well. An example of this is our receivers seem not to be able to get separation and also don't seem to know to come back toward js when he is scrambling; they instead just give up on their routes.

It is a very undisciplined team (penalties tell the story on this), and poorly coached on offense.

Because I don't have any confidence in Gus to figure out and fix all these problems, I believe we lose a minimum of 3 more reg. season games this year.  Sad for a $49 million coach.

It’s amazing that when @WarDamnEagleWDE was concerned when Gus hired Grimes for the 2nd time while in the middle of the hype season everybody wrote him off.  Again, in that same hype season, he expressed his concern about the OL and our run game, he was dismissed.  The third time, in only the 2nd game of the season, he expressed his concern and said time would not remedy the situation, he was blasted.

Consider that a habit can be changed in 4 to 6 weeks, any habit, if the participant is a willing partner.  Grimes has had months to affect the behavior of the OL.  Is the technique being taught the technique we see on the field?  Is this why WDE thought that the problem will not improve over time?  Can it only be lack of talent or is the defenses attacking a perceived weakness in our blocking scheme?

There is an issue with this year’s offense, I don’t know what it is, but something has to change.  Thank God for the defense and special teams. 

30 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

is it injuries or talent? gus has sure been high on the team for the near future which tells me maybe he did not see this coming. it sure makes me wonder. but i still blame hand. one of the worst mistakes gus ever made.

If you will notice in Gus' press conferences, when he is asked what is wrong with the offense, the only response is "we will analyze it, we will fix it, we will get better". Might as well make a recording of his statements and replay them, then he doesn't have to show up at all. Maybe he knows how to fix a lawn mower or something mechanical, but he don't have a clue how to fix a broken offense.?

21 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

It’s amazing that when @WarDamnEagleWDE was concerned when Gus hired Grimes for the 2nd time while in the middle of the hype season everybody wrote him off.  Again, in that same hype season, he expressed his concern about the OL and our run game, he was dismissed.  The third time, in only the 2nd game of the season, he expressed his concern and said time would not remedy the situation, he was blasted.

Consider that a habit can be changed in 4 to 6 weeks, any habit, if the participant is a willing partner.  Grimes has had months to affect the behavior of the OL.  Is the technique being taught the technique we see on the field?  Is this why WDE thought that the problem will not improve over time?  Can it only be lack of talent or is the defenses attacking a perceived weakness in our blocking scheme?

There is an issue with this year’s offense, I don’t know what it is, but something has to change.  Thank God for the defense and special teams. 

WDE's entire (overly emotional) argument against Grimes was recruiting related. He was more or less right about that, allowing for some exaggeration. And his concern about the OL this year was the same as everyone's- unknown talent and lack of experience. We were all right about that. 

What nobody predicted- WDE included- is that guys like Horton and Harrell would regress so much. And it's hard for me to believe that you can lay all of that at the feet of Greg Robinson's, Reese Dismukes's, pre-injury Alex Kozan's, Robert Leff's and Chad Slade's position coach. There are a million variables at play but it takes a group effort from everyone involved to sh** the bed this badly. 

1 hour ago, Shady Hollow AU said:

Grimes previous statements about Hand may be true.

What previous statements?

16 hours ago, bigbird said:

We can't run and we don't have enough time to pass.  That is not the backs fault. Fix the one glaring condition and the two symptoms will fix themselves.  

1$ to @TAYLORKEETON

Every penny counts bird ?

5 minutes ago, selias said:

Oh Lordy, Grimes actually said that?

Too. Damn. Funny.

He was much more political in his assessment and comments

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

He was much more political in his assessment and comments

He's not necessarily wrong. Just wouldn't expect a coach to throw a fellow coach under the bus like that

2 minutes ago, selias said:

He's not necessarily wrong. Just wouldn't expect a coach to throw a fellow coach under the bus like that

The comments I read were focused exclusively on the players and their attitudes, but the inference was clear. 

2 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

is it injuries or talent? gus has sure been high on the team for the near future which tells me maybe he did not see this coming. it sure makes me wonder. but i still blame hand. one of the worst mistakes gus ever made.

Gus also thought Jeremy Johnson was ready to be a world-beater at QB so....

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

WDE's entire (overly emotional) argument against Grimes was recruiting related. He was more or less right about that, allowing for some exaggeration. And his concern about the OL this year was the same as everyone's- unknown talent and lack of experience. We were all right about that. 

What nobody predicted- WDE included- is that guys like Horton and Harrell would regress so much. And it's hard for me to believe that you can lay all of that at the feet of Greg Robinson's, Reese Dismukes's, pre-injury Alex Kozan's, Robert Leff's and Chad Slade's position coach. There are a million variables at play but it takes a group effort from everyone involved to sh** the bed this badly. 

The way I wrote the post was in hope WDE would surface and give us some insight as to why he made those comments.  And as predicting; his “it’s only the 2nd week” thread did predict our situation pretty well. Give the man his due.  Why do you think WDE said time will not solve the issue?

As to laying the blame at the feet of the position coach that coached these players, where do you lay the blame?  People have blamed the players, but I usually blame the instructor as the players are a reflection of what they are taught (that and the fact that the coaches are the ones getting paid).

I agree on the last sentence and that’s where leadership comes in.

8 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

The way I wrote the post was in hope WDE would surface and give us some insight as to why he made those comments.  And as predicting; his “it’s only the 2nd week” thread did predict our situation pretty well. Give the man his due.  Why do you think WDE said time will not solve the issue?

As to laying the blame at the feet of the position coach that coached these players, where do you lay the blame?  People have blamed the players, but I usually blame the instructor as the players are a reflection of what they are taught (that and the fact that the coaches are the ones getting paid).

I agree on the last sentence and that’s where leadership comes in.

I am of the opinion that Grimes shares partial blame, but not all of it.

If I had to type it all over again, I would just say that last sentence that you agreed with, lol. 

It's good to air out all the reasons we think caused us to be in this situation. On observation, it's difficult for a QB to "step up in the pocket" to keep away from DEs flying around our OTs on an outside rush, when we have OCs/OGs backing up who end up blocking air. This after they got faked out of their shoes by the first move from a defensive lineman. That screams athletic ability and I'm not sure all the coaching in the world can fix that. We are where we are. 

So the next question has to be, what do we do going forward from this point ? This OL is so broken it's hard to know the best course of action. I'm just spit balling here because the more I think about it the more puzzling it gets. Do we just need to put the 5 most aggressive, most talented, most athletic offensive linemen we have out there ? Do we even have 5 ?    

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I am of the opinion that Grimes shares partial blame, but not all of it.

If I had to type it all over again, I would just say that last sentence that you agreed with, lol. 

I agree he is only partially to blame and has nothing to do with the overall problems we have on offense.  I hope the problems have been recognized by the ones responsible and will be fixed soon.

1 minute ago, IronMan70 said:

The next question has to be what do we do going forward from this point ? This OL is so broken it's hard to know the best course of action. I'm just spit balling here because the more I think about  it the more puzzling it gets. Do we just need to put the 5 most aggressive, most talented, most athletic offensive linemen we have out there ? Do we even have 5 ?    

Personally I feel like there are play callers out there who would be capable of helping the OL out if they had talent at QB and WR like we have.

What I hear Gus saying is that we have to run the ball better.

He's right about that, but I don't know if he's focusing on the illness or if he's too focused on a symptom. 

55 minutes ago, fredst said:

Gus also thought Jeremy Johnson was ready to be a world-beater at QB so....

to be fair one of the guys that works within the football and some other cat both said jj was the best practice player they ever saw.

Here is the problem. This is the play where JS throws the deep TD to the freshman WR... The first picture is of 3 OL blocking one person and the second picture is JS getting drilled as he throws, by the two guys the that were supposed to be blocked by the other two OL..  enjoy.. 

Screenshot_20181002-080729_Twitter.jpg

Screenshot_20181002-080745_Twitter.jpg

3 hours ago, ArgoEagle said:

I agree that the o line is our biggest problem, but is not our only problem on offense.

Stidham just does not fit Gus offensive philosophy. We made it work last year and be effective bc we had an NFL caliber rb in Kerrion. We saw that when  he went down last year, our offense went from being great to being mediocre at best. With the absence of that stud rb this year and a weak ol, Stidham looks like an average qb. We would need a true dt qb this year to offset the bad play of the ol and not having a rb the caliber of kj.

Unfortunately Gus is too stubborn to see where the weaknesses are and change them, and our coaches just seem to not be able to coach their positions well. An example of this is our receivers seem not to be able to get separation and also don't seem to know to come back toward js when he is scrambling; they instead just give up on their routes.

It is a very undisciplined team (penalties tell the story on this), and poorly coached on offense.

Because I don't have any confidence in Gus to figure out and fix all these problems, I believe we lose a minimum of 3 more reg. season games this year.  Sad for a $49 million coach.

As I've said many times on this board, 49 million dollars doesn't get you what it used to.

2 minutes ago, dmoney said:

Screenshot_20181002-080729_Twitter.jpg

Damn. I full admit to being a little caught up in all this and piling on and all that, but it sure looks like 64 is literally just going for a walk. 

5 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Damn. I full admit to being a little caught up in all this and piling on and all that, but it sure looks like 64 is literally just going for a walk. 

Maybe a more appropriate explanation would be Horton hears a who, what, when, where and why.

Archived