Oklahoma Fires Defensive Coordinator

AU-24

14 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Maybe. But if Gus were to fire Chip for lack of offensive production during the season I think we would be in uncharted waters here. Chip would defend himself in the media. But Gus isn't going to fire Chip during the season so this is all for not. 

In any scenario of being fired, I would think it would be in Chip's best interests to go about his business rather than getting into a media feud with his former boss.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Maybe. But if Gus were to fire Chip for lack of offensive production during the season I think we would be in uncharted waters here. Chip would defend himself in the media. But Gus isn't going to fire Chip during the season so this is all for not. 

You've got your ear to the ground in Lee County WDE, so what are you hearing in the wake of Saturday nights showing? 

Anything from the defensive side, they had one of the worst games I've seen in a really long time and for whatever reason Steele appeared to make zero in-game adjustments as Fitz ran like crazy right up the middle all night long. 

Anything from the players perspective, morale of the team, questionable leadership from certain players?

Just wondering what the tone is right now?

4 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

In any scenario of being fired, I would think it would be in Chip's best interests to go about his business rather than getting into a media feud with his former boss.

Yep - Gus has been in Chip's shoes a time or two in the past.  You get canned, you take your $$ and walk away in silence and live for another day - another team - another offense to coach.

38 minutes ago, keesler said:

Yep - Gus has been in Chip's shoes a time or two in the past.  You get canned, you take your $$ and walk away in silence and live for another day - another team - another offense to coach.

That would be my thought as well.  Offensive coordinators seem to have little difficulty landing on their feet, and there is nothing to gain by risking blackballing yourself to set the record straight in the media.

8 hours ago, AU-24 said:

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/report-oklahoma-fires-coordinator-after-week-6-loss-to-texas/

Yes, this applies to Auburn football! Here is a team not excepting any excuses, and insisting on winning!

Should have fired him after the Rose Bowl letting uga run up and down the field. But I agree with your OP

2 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Chip will not be at AU next year.......bet on it

I so, so hope you are correct!! Why wait till next year?

13 hours ago, AU-24 said:

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/report-oklahoma-fires-coordinator-after-week-6-loss-to-texas/

Yes, this applies to Auburn football! Here is a team not excepting any excuses, and insisting on winning!

A  HC looking for a scapegoat?   that's what we would say if Gus fired Chip....but whatever.......:dunno: but Stoops is one of the staff left behind when Riley got the job and good opportunity for a change to build his own staff.. ….which seems needed.  

4 minutes ago, AU64 said:

A  HC looking for a scapegoat?   that's what we would say if Gus fired Chip....but whatever.......:dunno: but Stoops is one of the staff left behind when Riley got the job and good opportunity for a change to build his own staff.. ….which seems needed.  

The majority of our play has to fall on Gus. However, I really believe Chip is in over his head. Then as I say that, I remember it was Gus and Chip that beat Alabama and Georgia last year. So again, I just don’t get it.

1 minute ago, AU-24 said:

The majority of our play has to fall on Gus. However, I really believe Chip is in over his head. Then as I say that, I remember it was Gus and Chip that beat Alabama and Georgia last year. So again, I just don’t get it.

Who does?   to hear the comments on this board you would think Gus calls all bad plays and Chip all the good ones ...and who actually is the QB coach...not Gus for certain..  Gus's responsibility might be...hiring the wrong guy (which lots of coaches do) and letting him stay on the job too long...which is not a good thing to do. 

5 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

I think he knows he made a bad career choice coming to AU. Hope he can land on his feet in a good spot.

3 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Who does?   to hear the comments on this board you would think Gus calls all bad plays and Chip all the good ones ...and who actually is the QB coach...not Gus for certain..  Gus's responsibility might be...hiring the wrong guy (which lots of coaches do) and letting him stay on the job too long...which is not a good thing to do. 

Glad there are a handful of people on here (like yourself) that still speak good common sense! Of course that doesn’t mean all of us, always have to agree, all the time but at least let’s all try to make basic common sense. 😃

On 10/8/2018 at 1:50 PM, Strychnine said:

Chip wouldn't need to defend himself. The coaching fraternity knows who he was working for and all the truth that entails.

• WarTiger changed the title to Oklahoma Fires Defensive Coordinator
On 10/8/2018 at 1:30 PM, keesler said:

Kodi shouldn't shoulder the blame for this offensive situation and you know it.

He isn't a scapegoat for this season alone, but he is a weak link throughout his time at Auburn. Sure, he can teach a kid to block, but that's not why he is getting paid. 

You know... with the defense practically being self sufficient maybe Gus should do like Derek Mason did. Fire Lindsey and de/promote himself to coordinator. I have a hard time believing that Gus has just completely forgotten how to coach football.

Eliminate the meddling, eliminate any conflicting philosophies, just do what you used to do best. I think it would work. And then use that extra coaching slot for a position coach or whatever.

11 hours ago, AUGunsmith said:

He isn't a scapegoat for this season alone, but he is a weak link throughout his time at Auburn. Sure, he can teach a kid to block, but that's not why he is getting paid. 

His recruiting has been pretty strong too

4 hours ago, JBiGGiE said:

You know... with the defense practically being self sufficient maybe Gus should do like Derek Mason did. Fire Lindsey and de/promote himself to coordinator. I have a hard time believing that Gus has just completely forgotten how to coach football.

Eliminate the meddling, eliminate any conflicting philosophies, just do what you used to do best. I think it would work. And then use that extra coaching slot for a position coach or whatever.

I few things:

1) While I agree, this move is always the "last straw" type moment before a coach gets fired. I seem to remember this happening with Spurrier right before he bowed out at SC. Once the ship starts sinking and you take the wheel, it better work or there is nobody left to blame.

2) On a side note - Gus DID fire the DC after we scored 40+ points against AL and lost a few years ago. Brought in Steele. You have to give him credit for that.

3) The Chip/Gus offensive mix of play calling and blocking (zone or whatever) is not going to work. I hear many people on this board state the CL will not be back. I have no idea what is going on but it seems highly plausible. 

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

His recruiting has been pretty strong too

I agree there also, but when 4 WRs perform like 2-3 star guys year in and year out there is an issue. I'd trade a recruiter for a great coach any day. 

On 10/8/2018 at 12:48 PM, augolf1716 said:

What quality offensive coordinator could Auburn hire given what is stated about Gus' control?

12 hours ago, AUGunsmith said:

I agree there also, but when 4 WRs perform like 2-3 star guys year in and year out there is an issue. I'd trade a recruiter for a great coach any day. 

We have guys running open every week.  They can't throw the ball to themselves.

6 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:
10 hours ago, aubie17 said:

What quality offensive coordinator could Auburn hire given what is stated about Gus' control?

Hugh Freeze or not hire one at all as far as I’m concerned. 

I smell a promotion for Kodi 😂

2 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Hugh Freeze or not hire one at all as far as I’m concerned. 

Just saw Hugh Freeze is headed to the AAF

Archived