Brown Liquor Time

fredst

I opened a bottle of the Heaven Hill BiB last week. Friend & I both really liked it. It's a little harder to find, but I would recommend trying it if you can find it near MSRP (around $50 I think). 

10 hours ago, marsbold said:

Barrell Seagrass is one of the bottles going to a friend. He'll have to let me try it as part of the delivery fee! I haven't tried any of the Barrell products but am looking forward to it since I keep reading good things about them.

Every Barrell product I’ve ever tried has been good to excellent. Try the “Dovetail” if you get an opportunity

• 3 weeks later...

Cool new-ish distillery just across the bridge. Highlight of the tasting was actually a whiskey with 80% rice in the mash bill. Very smooth, pleasant sipper that leans sweet but in a good way. The bourbons weren't bad, either.

PXL_20210621_223404870.PORTRAIT~2.jpg

I enjoy reading and learning about people's various drinking experiences I thought I'd share one of mine. At a buddy's lake house and he pulled out gift bottles he's received. Added some I brought. The Glenrothes is making me re-visit Speyside Scotch, loved it. I don't have a great pallet but definitely tasted the vanilla and crème brulei. The Bunnahabhain 18 was smooth & delicious, don't know the cost but can't say it was the best I've ever had. Haven't tried the Highland Park yet, probably tonight. The Peg Leg Porker we bought on our way in while passing through Knoxville, really enjoyed that. Monkey Shoulder is one of our go to for just something familiar, affordable and delicious. The Drambuie is something I've come to love for a Rusty Nail or Drambuie Collins (great summer drink).

20210628_114150 - Copy.jpg

• Like 1

On 6/28/2021 at 12:06 PM, AUSwim said:

I enjoy reading and learning about people's various drinking experiences I thought I'd share one of mine. At a buddy's lake house and he pulled out gift bottles he's received. Added some I brought. The Glenrothes is making me re-visit Speyside Scotch, loved it. I don't have a great pallet but definitely tasted the vanilla and crème brulei. The Bunnahabhain 18 was smooth & delicious, don't know the cost but can't say it was the best I've ever had. Haven't tried the Highland Park yet, probably tonight. The Peg Leg Porker we bought on our way in while passing through Knoxville, really enjoyed that. Monkey Shoulder is one of our go to for just something familiar, affordable and delicious. The Drambuie is something I've come to love for a Rusty Nail or Drambuie Collins (great summer drink).

20210628_114150 - Copy.jpg

Nice. I like just about any version of Glenrothes. The 18 year Bunnahabhain is good I think, usually less pricey than other 18 year malts in the places I’ve shopped 

• 3 weeks later...

Got a bottle of Weller Antique 107 Friday...first one in nearly 2 years. Forgot how much I enjoy this whiskey. Think it is one of my favorites, but going to blind taste test vs some others soon. I know Weller is hyped to point prices can be stupid and it's hard to find, but I would recommend this bottle to anyone if it can be found at a decent price. I traded a bottle of Blantons that I picked up for $60 for the Weller 107; I would take it over Blantons every day of the week.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, marsbold said:

Got a bottle of Weller Antique 107 Friday...first one in nearly 2 years. Forgot how much I enjoy this whiskey. Think it is one of my favorites, but going to blind taste test vs some others soon. I know Weller is hyped to point prices can be stupid and it's hard to find, but I would recommend this bottle to anyone if it can be found at a decent price. I traded a bottle of Blantons that I picked up for $60 for the Weller 107; I would take it over Blantons every day of the week.

I loaded up on some Weller Antique and 12 year back in the day when they were actually reasonably priced. They are old enough at this point that they are in the old bottle style. They are both incredibly good, hard to believe I used to get them at like $30. I like Blantons fine but it is so wildly overpriced for what it is at this point it’s hard to justify

14 hours ago, fredst said:

I loaded up on some Weller Antique and 12 year back in the day when they were actually reasonably priced. They are old enough at this point that they are in the old bottle style. They are both incredibly good, hard to believe I used to get them at like $30. I like Blantons fine but it is so wildly overpriced for what it is at this point it’s hard to justify

Very wise! Wish I had done the same. First few bottles of Weller I bought were the old style; never bought a 12 year though. Haven't even seen a 12 year or Antique in a store in the last 2 years as whiskey demand has gone crazy. I run across the Special Reserve in other states (not AL) somewhat frequently. 
Don't see Blantons much either but I'll buy it at $60-$70 whenever I do because it's good currency; lots of people in my area will trade me something I would rather have.

• Like 1

Just now, marsbold said:

Very wise! Wish I had done the same. First few bottles of Weller I bought were the old style; never bought a 12 year though. Haven't even seen a 12 year or Antique in a store in the last 2 years as whiskey demand has gone crazy. I run across the Special Reserve in other states (not AL) somewhat frequently. 
Don't see Blantons much either but I'll buy it at $60-$70 whenever I do because it's good currency; lots of people in my area will trade me something I would rather have.

Great strategy on the Blantons

Finally bought a bottle of Makers 46. Am I crazy for thinking this is really good? Wifey loves the red wax (not like that) (but maybe I should make sure) and I really enjoyed the Makers bottle I had from the wood series, so I said what the hell. I'm really surprised at how much I like it. But maybe in a "too easy to drink" way more than a "contemplative sipper" way...

Edited by McLoofus
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Finally bought a bottle of Makers 46. Am I crazy for thinking this is really good? Wifey loves the red wax (not like that) (but maybe I should make sure) and I really enjoyed the Makers bottle I had from the wood series, so I said what the hell. I'm really surprised at how much I like it. But maybe in a "too easy to drink" way more than a "contemplative sipper" way...

I bought a small bottle not too long ago. Waaaaaaaay too easy to drink.

• Like 1

Just now, Tiger Refuge said:

I bought a small bottle not too long ago. Waaaaaaaay too easy to drink.

That's the thing. Like, is it great? Or is it, like, a greasy cheeseburger or a Krispy Kreme or something?? I drank a lot of it last night. Damn USMNT kicking off at 10 pm. Damn them!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

That's the thing. Like, is it great? Or is it, like, a greasy cheeseburger or a Krispy Kreme or something?? I drank a lot of it last night. Damn USMNT kicking off at 10 pm. Damn them!

I’m probably not the one to ask, as I just finished scarfing down a big ole cheeseburger and fries from the local country store. Washed it down with a big, ice cold fountain coke.

• Love 1

17 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Finally bought a bottle of Makers 46. Am I crazy for thinking this is really good? 

Don't personally have any idea about Makers, but I'm in the camp of drink whatever is good to you. Especially if it is reasonable on the price & available. 

Glad to hear you like the Makers though. I put Makers 101 on my list last week of bottles to try after a discussion on another forum. Don't know anything about their line-up; guess I should Google it sometime to learn more.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, marsbold said:

Don't personally have any idea about Makers, but I'm in the camp of drink whatever is good to you. Especially if it is reasonable on the price & available. 

Glad to hear you like the Makers though. I put Makers 101 on my list last week of bottles to try after a discussion on another forum. Don't know anything about their line-up; guess I should Google it sometime to learn more.

I'm not huge on their base model but I'm finding I quite like each of their "special" expressions.

23 hours ago, McLoofus said:

This is too funny 😂. Does McWifey know that you post stuff like this?

WRT Maker’s….simpleton that I am I like almost all versions including the 46. I think the cask strength is excellent….

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, fredst said:

This is too funny 😂. Does McWifey know that you post stuff like this?

WRT Maker’s….simpleton that I am I like almost all versions including the 46. I think the cask strength is excellent….

Yeah, she knows. She's less bothered by the content than the volume...

Will try the cask strength next then. 

• Love 1

11 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Yeah, she knows. She's less bothered by the content than the volume...

Will try the cask strength next then. 

Let’s be honest though. Any wheated bourbon is pretty easy to drink. That’s why I think that Makers is popular and Larceny is underrated. Add a higher proof point, ie cask strength/barrel proof,  and you’ve got a winner in my book

Edited by fredst
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, fredst said:

Let’s be honest though. Any wheated bourbon is pretty easy to drink. That’s why I think that Makers is popular and Larceny is underrated. Add a higher proof point, ie cask strength/barrel proof,  and you’ve got a winner in my book

Very true. What I liked I think is there's this burnt sugar quality that I picked up on. I detect it in Sazerac Rye, also. But it's not a cloying sweetness at all. 

I liked the Larceny that I tried, also.

• 1 month later...

Football season and no activity in this thread….damn shame.

Bought this on a flyer while in Oxford MS this weekend. Never heard of it before. First impression: very good, incredibly smooth at 120, with nice sweetness, finish slightly short. Overall would recommend if looking for a barrel proof offering that is not routine

BEF951CB-7D1B-4077-9254-1D8C33FB6A5F.jpeg

11 hours ago, fredst said:

Football season and no activity in this thread….damn shame.

Bought this on a flyer while in Oxford MS this weekend. Never heard of it before. First impression: very good, incredibly smooth at 120, with nice sweetness, finish slightly short. Overall would recommend if looking for a barrel proof offering that is not routine

BEF951CB-7D1B-4077-9254-1D8C33FB6A5F.jpeg

Very interesting. Looks like a store pick? 

I need to report back with pictures on what I've been drinking. Some good, some eh. 

27 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Very interesting. Looks like a store pick? 

I need to report back with pictures on what I've been drinking. Some good, some eh. 

Yes, this was a store barrel pick but I would compare favorably to the review I read here:

http://breakingbourbon.com