Gatewood in only

au701948

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

JMO but playing half or a quarter of a game today against a whipped team was not gonna prepare Willis or JG for Oregon.   They were playing with a patchwork team and not in a position to run the "full offense".

As I noted earlier, it would  not have affected the future.   It's up to Dillingham to get them ready for next season....what Chip was doing with them will be irrelevant IMO. 

My bad I see what you're doing now

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
59 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Why aren’t we in position to run the full offense? Being up big is the best time to allow the backups to go through live game situations against an opponent as there is minimal risk involved. Do you not see Saban coaching his butt off with his scrubs when his team is already up big? He does it because that’s invaluable experience for the backups and provides cheap coaching moments. 

IMO - This tells me something not about Gus, but about the QBs.

18 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Being a coach's son doesn't mean anything as far as grasping things more quickly 

Majority of the time it does. Maybe not your Rec coaches son, but most high level Coaches son, Players that played at high level sons have a higher football IQ. Correlate to being able to understand different concepts in playbooks just from early rehearsal. Gus handing Patrick a passing concepts ect, compared to another QB parent would 100% accelerate grasping a playbook faster.

I am not saying JG hasn't , I hope he has and runs with it. Dude is a freak of nature athletically and could cause major problems for opposing defenses. If he can just Nick Marshall(make easy throws) and run the offense smooth he is going to be tough to beat out!

20 minutes ago, bmartin3228 said:

Majority of the time it does. Maybe not your Rec coaches son, but most high level Coaches son, Players that played at high level sons have a higher football IQ. Correlate to being able to understand different concepts in playbooks just from early rehearsal. Gus handing Patrick a passing concepts ect, compared to another QB parent would 100% accelerate grasping a playbook faster.

I am not saying JG hasn't , I hope he has and runs with it. Dude is a freak of nature athletically and could cause major problems for opposing defenses. If he can just Nick Marshall(make easy throws) and run the offense smooth he is going to be tough to beat out!

I guess we can agree to disagree with that. I think if you have the aptitude to learn you have it being a coaches son doesn't make you to be able to learn it better. I'm sure we could both show examples of guys who were successful and guys who weren't. As well as guys who work with coaches year round. 

I also think people just say things about Nick Marshall and under appreciates him. I feel like I've seen him make throws I didn't ever see stidham make and people say stidham has great arm talent. 

Lastly this has been said to be one of the more simple offenses in football so I always find it interesting that people love to go to the can't understand the playbook stuff. 

Lol the sensitive sunshine Gus team really feel empowered after destroying Purdue. Got them all over me tonight. How did I become the one though? Out of all the people that are tired of Gus I'm the one😂

3 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I guess we can agree to disagree with that. I think if you have the aptitude to learn you have it being a coaches son doesn't make you to be able to learn it better. I'm sure we could both show examples of guys who were successful and guys who weren't. As well as guys who work with coaches year round. 

I also think people just say things about Nick Marshall and under appreciates him. I feel like I've seen him make throws I didn't ever see stidham make and people say stidham has great arm talent. 

Lastly this has been said to be one of the more simple offenses in football so I always find it interesting that people love to go to the can't understand the playbook stuff. 

Yeah I’m with you that just being a coaches son doesn’t automatically mean it’s in your genes to understand. Talking more so cause can be taught in greater detail throughout childhood and through high school, and Bo basically has someone he could ask questions to 24/7 and get a educated answer and the why. 

Marshall - Its not that I  under appreciate his tool set, I saw him make some unbelievable throws and had a cannon. Just think he had a little bit bigger window to fit balls majority of time because of secondary, linebackers having to respect his running ability. With that, did not really have to expand playbook ... cause did not have too. Did not have to “thread the needle” as much. Could throw a hell of a deep ball !

I agree , I wouldn’t think this offense would be to tough to grasp. A lot of same plays with different window dressing. There was some confusion at the end but that’s not on JG. You got 3 and 4’s out there with him, not the 1’s.

4 minutes ago, bmartin3228 said:

Yeah I’m with you that just being a coaches son doesn’t automatically mean it’s in your genes to understand. Talking more so cause can be taught in greater detail throughout childhood and through high school, and Bo basically has someone he could ask questions to 24/7 and get a educated answer and the why. 

Marshall - Its not that I  under appreciate his tool set, I saw him make some unbelievable throws and had a cannon. Just think he had a little bit bigger window to fit balls majority of time because of secondary, linebackers having to respect his running ability. With that, did not really have to expand playbook ... cause did not have too. Did not have to “thread the needle” as much. Could throw a hell of a deep ball !

I agree , I wouldn’t think this offense would be to tough to grasp. A lot of same plays with different window dressing. There was some confusion at the end but that’s not on JG. You got 3 and 4’s out there with him, not the 1’s.

I agree with that. Two passes I remember from Marshall one against Texas a&m and the other against Missouri in the SEC championship game were unreal throws that I don't think any QB since him could make. 

I see what you're saying as far as been doing it longer so knowing how to approach things better. I remember Gus not wanting guys to work with QB coaches so I was thinking more than likely Gus teaches things different than most coaches or something for him to think professional QB guys can mess up his QB's. 

But I didn't think of it from your perspective

How was Gatewood’s sprint and dive into the end zone not a TD?  I understand not reviewing it due to the score, but to not give the guy an earned TD is just wrong.  There was no doubt in crossing the goal line before a knee or elbow touched the ground.  He looked much more in control with running our offense than #14. Hopefully our new OC can work wonders with coaching all QBs next year. 

17 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I agree with that. Two passes I remember from Marshall one against Texas a&m and the other against Missouri in the SEC championship game were unreal throws 

I was sitting right in front of that catch by Coates . Nick scrambled , flick of the wrist line to Coates who was double covered for TD . Awww good memories! 

4 hours ago, JMassie11 said:

Tbh he showed explosiveness but also that he hasn’t grasped the playbook. He still has the most potential but would be better off at a different position. 

The guy runs a few plays designed to shorten the game and run out the clock and you can say he hasn't grasped the playbook? That ludicrous.

5 minutes ago, NCTiger1982 said:

Willis is not the answer

Gatewood needs some opportunity 

Nix will not be in the same scenario Clemson’s freshman QB is in. 

Yeah but he could be in Bently’s scenario when he was coming into South Carolina . 

I literally did not get off my sofa towards end of game cause I wanted to see Gatewood. I hadn’t watched him since All American game in which he physically dominated. Really wanted to see if he could run against college skilled players and do the same .... and I believe yes , yes he can! Next question , can he make reads and do enough for teams to respect the pass. 

Neither Gatewood or Willis has enough game sample size but see higher cieling for Gatewood then Willis. I think I’m just being bias though cause Gatewood is 6’5 230 who can run like he does cause neither has hardly thrown a pass in a game. 

Now I don’t even know where I was going with this . 

War Eagle , good to go out on good note. 

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

I agree with that. Two passes I remember from Marshall one against Texas a&m and the other against Missouri in the SEC championship game were unreal throws that I don't think any QB since him could make. 

I see what you're saying as far as been doing it longer so knowing how to approach things better. I remember Gus not wanting guys to work with QB coaches so I was thinking more than likely Gus teaches things different than most coaches or something for him to think professional QB guys can mess up his QB's. 

Do you remember those throws in the Ole Miss game in 2014? Those were some beauties as well as those 2 long throws in the LSU game 2013. I haven't seen an auburn QB make a throw like any of those since Marshall.

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

When you're talking A&m do you mean that throw to Marcus Davis late in the 3rd/early 4th quarter or another throw?

Gatewood looked like he had a better feel for the reads on the option and showed us a glimpse of his speed when he ran the ball. He has impressive size and speed which can't be coached. Willis had a couple of good option reads for nice gains but had some bad reads too. However both of them need work on the option, Willis more so than Gatewood imo. As far as passing ability, it's hard to draw any conclusion on either one of them right now.

So it will be interesting to see what Dilly can do in developing the passing ability of our QBs, especially with Gatewood. If Dilly is successful in doing that then Gatewood is going to be a handful to deal with. The coaches should seriously consider calling Nick Marshall and hire him to give our QBs some coaching on the read option during the offseason. Nick was and still is the master at it. In 2019 it's hard to see a scenario where Bo Nix is given the nod as a true Freshman. We'll see what happens.

6 hours ago, AU80cruiser said:

Do you remember those throws in the Ole Miss game in 2014? Those were some beauties as well as those 2 long throws in the LSU game 2013. I haven't seen an auburn QB make a throw like any of those since Marshall.

I do now you mention it....the way he annihilated bammer's defense.....but people love to say he couldn't throw....yet we haven't had a guy who could make those throws since

10 hours ago, AU80cruiser said:

When you're talking A&m do you mean that throw to Marcus Davis late in the 3rd/early 4th quarter or another throw?

I was thinking one to Coates I was thinking when he was rolling out to his left and he threw it to a spot rather than to Coates and it was perfect. I'm thinking it was against a&m. Actually I think it was Quan Bray

Nick Marshal has the strongest arm I’ve ever seen at auburn, maybe anywhere.  He is one of my favorites along with Cam and DCraig. Nick was probably the most intelligent qb we’ve had in recent history. While his accuracy was not bad, it was not good enough to be courted by nfl as a QB. In 2017 Stidham showed very good mix of strength and accuracy, hence the arm talent..I still think Nick made better decisions and had better field vision. In 2018 I didn’t think Stidhams accuracy was much better than Marshal’s.

No matter what...no matter who the QB is, get rid of the ZR as the core offense.   It will not be successful. Develop MW or JG as passers then utilize their running ability to make the offense more dynamic.  

11 minutes ago, bigbird said:

No matter what...no matter who the QB is, get rid of the ZR as the core offense.   It will not be successful. Develop MW or JG as passers then utilize their running ability to make the offense more dynamic.  

I've been convinced.  I approve of this message. 🤜🤛

1 hour ago, alexava said:

Nick Marshal has the strongest arm I’ve ever seen at auburn

Wade Christopher would disagree.

Seriously though, I do agree.  Dude could bomb it....and accurately!

17 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I wholeheartedly agree,but Gus ain't about to scrap the ZR. 

I’m going to reserve judgement on all of our QBs until they’ve had another spring and fall to develop, then play in a game as the starter with he full compliment of talent around them. I’m not writing any of them off based on late game mop up duty, when they’ve only had a handful of snaps. I love MW as a runner, JGs all round athleticism, and I still think Cord Sandberg could be a special talent. Throw in Nix as one of the nations top high school QBs, and we have 4 with great potential. Whoever it is, is going to have an improved O-line, a solid core of RBs, and some excellent WRs. Beat the Ducks, and WDE!

32 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Nah man. That’s the problem. Trying to make QBs what they’re not supposed to be. Gatewood and MW need to run tbe zone read and develop better passing skills. With someone like Nix or Stidham that aren’t nearly as athletic, drop tbe ZR and work work their strengths. 

6 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Nah man. That’s the problem. Trying to make QBs what they’re not supposed to be. Gatewood and MW need to run tbe zone read and develop better passing skills. With someone like Nix or Stidham that aren’t nearly as athletic, drop tbe ZR and work work their strengths. 

How many ZR offenses are successfully being run right now in college?

Archived