men vs. Kentucky game thread

WarTiger

6 hours ago, PigskinPat said:

I agree 100%. I watched some of the Duke vs Syracuse game earlier and I loved how great they are at ball rotation and it reminded me of how poor we are at it. As others and myself have said before, we play street ball and play like we’re trying to impress our girlfriend up in the stands.

I thought we moved the ball well earlier in the season.  lol way earlier.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wish they were more like street ball players. Tough, play through anything, play for the game. We play more like church league. People view street ball negative because you just saw street ball on AND 1 stuff, but that wasn't ever street ball. You never go to a street ball game and see stupid antics for real. If anything you come weak or on silly stuff you're going to knocked on your ass. 

We would be lucky to have some street ball players on this team actually. Street ball competition is a higher level, we've been folding lately

We got beat by a more talented team plain and simple. The sec is loaded this year and we are just to inconsistent with our play and have a lot of talented guys that have not elevated their game. Brown and Harper can't do it all. We will be lucky to make tournament

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

wish they were more like street ball players. Tough, play through anything, play for the game. 

Heck yes. Give us Terrence Davis from Ole Miss and Quinderry Weatherspoon from MSU and we would be tearing up the league. 

Everybody's trying to play hero ball and there's nobody on the team talented enough to even think they should come to that conclusion. Chumma is but he doesn't have the mindset. Harper and Brown better see they can't do it by themselves and start playing team ball and they better start quick

i am concerned about making the tournament....by hook or crook, we need two more wins and for those of you that have been ignoring georgia, they are playing some good basketball.....they are not winning a lot, but they are not automatic by any stretch

Multiple outlets reporting Bruce apologized for auburns performance to wildcat fans, who "know their basketball". Nobody's a bigger bruce pearl fan than me but that's messed up - I dont think he even owes us an apology for that slop by his players but begging forgiveness from the Rupp Arena crowd is screwed up. IMHO

3 hours ago, cole256 said:

I wish they were more like street ball players. Tough, play through anything, play for the game. We play more like church league. People view street ball negative because you just saw street ball on AND 1 stuff, but that wasn't ever street ball. You never go to a street ball game and see stupid antics for real. If anything you come weak or on silly stuff you're going to knocked on your ass. 

We would be lucky to have some street ball players on this team actually. Street ball competition is a higher level, we've been folding lately

I would also take the toughness aspect of street ballers, but when you play against teams that are as athletically gifted as you are plus they play with strong offensive and defensive fundamentals you’re in trouble.

2 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

Multiple outlets reporting Bruce apologized for auburns performance to wildcat fans, who "know their basketball". Nobody's a bigger bruce pearl fan than me but that's messed up - I dont think he even owes us an apology for that slop by his players but begging forgiveness from the Rupp Arena crowd is screwed up. IMHO

Man I saw that and it was dissapointing. He also said Kentucky was the best home atmosphere or something  like that in an interview before the game. Quit kissing ass and start lighting your players up Bruce. And I actually love Bruce. 

2 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

I wasn't a fan of this either when I read it this morning. If anyone owes an apology it's the players who owe him an apology. I'm not as well versed in basketball conversations as others on here because it's really my least favorite men's sport (big 3) but I know this team is only going to win one way...by the three. Not really sure if they are a tournament team or not but they will likely be a one and done team based on what we have seen in SEC play. Last season got us all excited. This year has been a let down but maybe they will get hot for a few games in the SEC tournament. At least Bruce has people caring about basketball. 

Never saw that coming after the Arky game...mystifying team..for the most part now they are barely even competitive away from home.

On 2/23/2019 at 5:06 PM, cole256 said:

Disclaimer this is my opinion

As far as this season goes on offense the thing that hurts us the most is how unbelievably bad we are at passing. We don't know how to set each other up, we don't know how to run a fast break unless it's a clear 2 on 1, it's really bad. We don't identify a mismatch and we can't see a guy has an advantage unless he's literally wide open. 

We play a very selfish brand of basketball

I don’t think we even have an organized offensive scheme..we don’t move without the ball and create the defensive adjustments that lead to open shots or cuts to the basket. We get inside and kick it out for open threes instead of drawing contact. Then we have people try to drive against a set defense and just lose the ball. We are still a pretty good team because we can shoot. But the best shooting teams don’t shoot well all the time. We won’t win more than two games in any post season tournaments.

you’re 100% on fast breaks. We have no idea how to finish and make the opponent get in foul trouble.

Trying not to get too down about this loss. Its only the second time this season where we have been absolutely dominated by the other team. But dang.... its getting harder and harder to see this team make a run. I still think we are in good shape to make the tournament which in of itself should be celebrated but hard to see us beat any team that would be considered above average. 

Almost 2 full days after the beat down and it still hurts. 

@GwillMac6 actually called exactly how this one would go.

we are going to flatly need more time to let Bruce get some more bodies in here to fight with the elite and better programs. All these kids on the team now committed to AU before Bruce could show he could win big here and he took talent how he could get it - - I have to believe Bruce ideally wouldn't want a 5'8 PG even if he's as fast as Harper. I think the new class and hopefully following classes will be more like Bruce's UT teams 

For some perspective I saw on Twitter (no idea who this is but it popped up on my feed):

Screenshot_20190225-103329_Twitter.jpg

This is still going to be the 2nd or 3rd best season out of our last TWENTY

I guess I’m guilty. However it seems odd that we are losing to every good team we play and not looking very organized in doing so. THEN hear how many of our players are considering turning pro? I’m mean.... learn how to play college first. 

16 minutes ago, alexava said:

I guess I’m guilty. However it seems odd that we are losing to every good team we play and not looking very organized in doing so. THEN hear how many of our players are considering turning pro? I’m mean.... learn how to play college first. 

With the new rules of how all players can submit their name to be reviewed for the draft I'd recommend you just get used to it. Not trying to sound snarky, it's not my tone I promise but it's just how it's going to be. The majority of starters for power 5 programs will be submitting their names no matter how unrealistic their NBA prospects are. It's a great way for them to get legitimate feedback from pro scouts and every kid should utilize it to see where the NBA officially stands on their strengths and weaknesses so they can continue to work on their games IMO.

6 hours ago, Tiger said:

legitimate feedback from pro scouts and every kid should utilize it to see where the NBA officially stands on their strengths and weaknesses so they can continue to work on their games I

This makes no sense to me.....we have good coaches and a full season of games and videos against good teams and players.    I can't see how in a day or two of demonstrations for some NBA scouts they are going to learn anything that BP has not been trying to impress on them for the past 6 months...or three years in some cases.    

Honest sit-downs with BP......and a review of their performance relative to their fellow SEC players ( virtually none of whom will see the NBA) should tell them all they need to know.  Otherwise it's mostly an ego trip IMO.

Just now, Tiger said:

I'm just gonna let someone else break it down for you 

Forget it....it's mostly BS and about everyone knows that.   Players just need to concentrate on what BP and his coaching staff are trying to tell them and teach them..and put that into effect. . And a little more concern playing for the team instead of their own future NBA careers would help...I think Cole refers to it as hero ball or something like that.   JMO.....you don't have to agree....does not hurt my feelings.....:dunno:

Just now, AU64 said:

Forget it....it's mostly BS and about everyone knows that.   Players just need to concentrate on what BP and his coaching staff are trying to tell them and teach them..and put that into effect. . And a little more concern playing for the team instead of their own future NBA careers would help...I think Cole refers to it as hero ball or something like that.   JMO.....you don't have to agree....does not hurt my feelings.....:dunno:

Ah you caught me before I deleted. Did not mean to come off like such an ass, but I did. And I got busted. Sorry about that. 

During the season IS when they are working for the program. In the off-season is when all of this nba stuff happens. That's when they work on the NBA stuff, during the season is all Bruce stuff

16 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Ah you caught me before I deleted. Did not mean to come off like such an ass, but I did. And I got busted. Sorry about that. 

During the season IS when they are working for the program. In the off-season is when all of this nba stuff happens. That's when they work on the NBA stuff, during the season is all Bruce stuff

Nah that's fine.....I just think this NBA stuff is such a distraction and likely can put what players are told into conflict with the coaching at AU.   If any of them had a legitimate chance for the NBA I could see but...in this is just my view,  I don't see these NBA evaluations as being helpful to the AU "team" .    

We've seen enough this year to know what every guy on the regular playing line-up needs to improve on.   Give 'em a week with Cole.....he'll tell it like it is.....and help AU perform better as a team.

33 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Nah that's fine.....I just think this NBA stuff is such a distraction and likely can put what players are told into conflict with the coaching at AU.   If any of them had a legitimate chance for the NBA I could see but...in this is just my view,  I don't see these NBA evaluations as being helpful to the AU "team" .    

We've seen enough this year to know what every guy on the regular playing line-up needs to improve on.   Give 'em a week with Cole.....he'll tell it like it is.....and help AU perform better as a team.

There is some truth to what you're saying (Mitchell's family apparently were not happy with his role due to how it looks for NBA scouts), but for example Bruce I'm sure wasn't trying to get Bryce to a point guard level handle at AU but the NBA scouts will tell him he needs to increase that part of his game etc. And plus it's like the equivalent of these kids getting a summer internship like a regular student would IMO. And this isn't unique to AU, there will be hundreds on hundreds of kids putting their name in. So everyone is on the same page across the landscape with this. 

Pearls main focus should be on winning as many games as possible and hope that all the winning gives his players their best chance and making it to the NBA. The players would be crazy to not have an eye on their next step. If Auburn isn't pulling in players that want to get to the NBA then we are not pulling in the right players. I don't think its selfish at all for them to be getting outside advice on how they can further their career. I would hope that 80% of the time what the NBA evaluators tell them to work on are the same things Pearl tells them to work on. 

2 hours ago, gravejd said:

Pearls main focus should be on winning as many games as possible and hope that all the winning gives his players their best chance and making it to the NBA. The players would be crazy to not have an eye on their next step. If Auburn isn't pulling in players that want to get to the NBA then we are not pulling in the right players. I don't think its selfish at all for them to be getting outside advice on how they can further their career. I would hope that 80% of the time what the NBA evaluators tell them to work on are the same things Pearl tells them to work on. 

Hopefully the players will see that too.  Everybody wants to play in the NBA or NFL or MLB.....but setting your sights on a professional career before you are even established at the college level ?     I can't see it. :dunno:     Plus I might note that it is not necessary to have a team of pre-NBA players to have a very good college basketball team and enjoy some national success. 

We have been playing street ball most of the year and Everytime we play a team that Knows how to run a offense and move the ball we lose. We also are just screwed against taller teams.

Archived