Official UVA National Champions logo

TitanTiger

3 hours ago, jared52 said:

It’s not automatically intentional if there’s a foul before the ball is inbounded, though I wonder if a runoff should occur in the event of a foul late like that.  To be honest, it was a good foul in terms of it not being intentional in the strict sense. We all know he meant to, but he put himself in the way of Harper and fouled him without just grabbing him and getting the intentional foul. 

If there is no additional penalty for fouling before the ball is inbounded why is it not standard procedure for every team?  

13 hours ago, around4ever said:

If there is no additional penalty for fouling before the ball is inbounded why is it not standard procedure for every team?  

I know in the NBA the team that is fouled gets 2 shots and the ball. You're right in college it should be a no brainer to just foul before they inbound it. 

59 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I know in the NBA the team that is fouled gets 2 shots and the ball. You're right in college it should be a no brainer to just foul before they inbound it. 

Defenses are obviously going for the steal, which is much easier in college vs pros. In UV’s case, it worked to their advantage because the clock was their chief concern. Harper wasn’t double-teamed on that in-bounds attempt. He could have run off a second or two, which might have put UV out of it. IMO, it was UV’s best defensive play of the last 5 minutes of the game. 

Archived