More playmakers than 2010?

StatTiger

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

if they had been used in similar fashion with similar play calling behind the same line, then possibly. Those 3 behind last year's line with the vanilla run plays and the inane amount of predictability wouldn't have fared well either. its an unfair comparison.  That said, give me Shivers over OMac and KMart over Fannin

Yup the only thing comparable between Omac and Worm is speed. I think Shivers needs way more touches. Dude has home run threat written all over him and has great instincts in between the tackles. It’s funny watching the film on him from last year because you can see the opposing LBs trying to spot him after the snap 😂 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

14 hours ago, McLoofus said:

A much more diplomatic way of saying it than mine was.

Interesting that you mention Tulsa. @bigbird has put forth the possibility that Gus might be trying to get back to those roots. Might not happen with Joey under center, but then again, maybe it could. Especially if the threat of Joey running opens stuff up downfield. If we have a healthy Stove and Hastings, then we are well positioned talent-wise to work linebackers to death Patriots-style. Not to mention a really, really poor man's version of- quick, somebody give me an alternative to Aaron Hernandez?- in Sal Canella. (Who was used effectively in that Washington game only to disappear from our offense like so many other things that work just fine everywhere else.)

Red zone. Man. We have *no* excuse not to be at least average in that department this year. None. 

I think in some ways we tried to go back that route even last year. I will say that I am highly encouraged by the way we attacked offensively in both the bowl game and spring game. I’ve said it before but I still can’t believe how much we threw the ball in the spring game. Gus has never done that while at Auburn. Not only that but we threw a lot vertically at that. 

If we keep that approach this fall and minimize how often we rotate personnel, you’re gonna see a fast explosive offense. Just have to hope for luck in the injury department. For some reason I have this bad feeling that our defense is going to have a drop off in performance. That being said, I’ll take a slight drop if it means our offense is lethal again. 

8 hours ago, bigbird said:

if they had been used in similar fashion with similar play calling behind the same line, then possibly. Those 3 behind last year's line with the vanilla run plays and the inane amount of predictability wouldn't have fared well either. its an unfair comparison.  That said, give me Shivers over OMac and KMart over Fannin

KMart over Fannin....not in a million years for me. Fannin was bigger, stronger, and faster. Just as dynamic but more powerful, just if not better of a pass catcher, and a way better blocker. 

My original point in my post was to downplay folks seemingly conceding this group was clearly better than 2010. Seems folks are forgetting how talented that group was or downplaying it. 

9 hours ago, doc4aday said:

I was referring to how much better we have been in the past with DT QBs compared to pocket passer types of QBs nothing more, nothing less!

But you responded to my post, which had nothing to do with that. 

9 hours ago, amsterjam said:

I guess we'll see soon enough.

Indeed we will. I certainly hope this group becomes the best we've had. All seem like great kids and are talented!

16 minutes ago, twilli13 said:

KMart over Fannin....not in a million years for me. Fannin was bigger, stronger, and faster. Just as dynamic but more powerful, just if not better of a pass catcher, and a way better blocker. 

Better blocker, bigger and stronger...not faster, not a better pass catcher and worse ball security. If used correctly, KMart would be dynamic.

12 minutes ago, twilli13 said:

My original point in my post was to downplay folks seemingly conceding this group was clearly better than 2010. Seems folks are forgetting how talented that group was or downplaying it. 

The problem is that you keep wanting to compare 1s to 1s in a conversation about depth.

Btw, Caddy/Ronnie/Tre were, overall and on average, more talented than the 2010 crew. So were Jovon/KJ/Barber and/or Roc. So were KJ/Pettway/Truitt and/or KMart. And it remains to be seen, but I'd be surprised if we don't have 3 guys on our roster who are, again, more talented on average than the 2010 group. You keep talking about production as though it happens in a vacuum. Like Bird said, Cam opened up everything for the rest of that offense. There were also 4 guys in their 4th year starting on that 2010 offensive line. We haven't had anything like that since, and I'm not sure even that 2004 group could claim that. Jason Campbell is an all-timer for Auburn, but he was obviously not in the same stratosphere as Cam.

Kind of weird to even talk about, though, since Fannin and OMac weren't even true RBs. Tried to make OMac one in 2011. Didn't go so well. Corey Grant was a better version of OMac. I think Worm is a better version of Corey Grant. (I *love* all of these guys.)

7 hours ago, BigWhiskey91 said:

I think in some ways we tried to go back that route even last year. I will say that I am highly encouraged by the way we attacked offensively in both the bowl game and spring game. I’ve said it before but I still can’t believe how much we threw the ball in the spring game. Gus has never done that while at Auburn. Not only that but we threw a lot vertically at that. 

If we keep that approach this fall and minimize how often we rotate personnel, you’re gonna see a fast explosive offense. Just have to hope for luck in the injury department. For some reason I have this bad feeling that our defense is going to have a drop off in performance. That being said, I’ll take a slight drop if it means our offense is lethal again. 

I hope you're right...

...and I hope you're wrong. Lol. Maaaaan, if somebody can step up and get to the quarterback this year....

On 6/13/2019 at 6:55 AM, McLoofus said:

The problem is that you keep wanting to compare 1s to 1s in a conversation about depth.

Btw, Caddy/Ronnie/Tre were, overall and on average, more talented than the 2010 crew. So were Jovon/KJ/Barber and/or Roc. So were KJ/Pettway/Truitt and/or KMart. And it remains to be seen, but I'd be surprised if we don't have 3 guys on our roster who are, again, more talented on average than the 2010 group. You keep talking about production as though it happens in a vacuum. Like Bird said, Cam opened up everything for the rest of that offense. There were also 4 guys in their 4th year starting on that 2010 offensive line. We haven't had anything like that since, and I'm not sure even that 2004 group could claim that. Jason Campbell is an all-timer for Auburn, but he was obviously not in the same stratosphere as Cam.

Kind of weird to even talk about, though, since Fannin and OMac weren't even true RBs. Tried to make OMac one in 2011. Didn't go so well. Corey Grant was a better version of OMac. I think Worm is a better version of Corey Grant. (I *love* all of these guys.)

Nice try there, but no. The comparison was made that KMart was better than Fannin. I disputed that statement. I didnt make that one on one comparison. I responded to it. 

Now you're trying to say that Fannin and Omac weren't even true running backs as part of argument. not necessary or tolerated here Yes they absolutely 100% were. They were our top 3 ball carriers out of a running back position that year. 

If you read any of my prior posts, you saw I gave Ronnie and Caddy their props.  So maybe read those first before 'btw'ing me. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Better blocker, bigger and stronger...not faster, not a better pass catcher and worse ball security. If used correctly, KMart would be dynamic.

Do you actually watch the games? Fannin was way waaaaay more well rounded and overall talented than Kmart. Kmart is a scat back with limited potential. I'll grant you Fannings fumbling issues. That's the only thing that kept him from blowing up. I'd still take Fannin as the better pass catcher too. 

Mario Fannin: 5'11, 225-230, ran a 4.37. Definitely great metrics for a running back!

I guess that's why he got his most carries in a single season, 84, as a true freshman. (Brad Lester had 125. Kodi Burns had 54.)  He averaged 57 carries a season over 4 years. In 2009, he caught more balls than he had rushing attempts. In 2010, as a senior, he had double-digit carries twice- against Arkansas and against La Monroe. He averaged 4 carries a game against SEC competition that year. In our last 4 games of that season- against uga, bama, USC in the SECCG, and Oregon in the national title game- he had 7 total carries and none against bama or Oregon. 6 of them came in the SECCG blowout. (He caught 4 balls over that same stretch.)

As for OMac, here are 2 minutes and 42 seconds of highlights from 2010. Literally one play on the entire reel where he ran inside a tackle. 

Not sure why I'm continuing on with this. Dude just asked Bird if he watches Auburn games. It is fun to watch 2010 highlights, so there's that. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, twilli13 said:

Do you actually watch the games? Fannin was way waaaaay more well rounded and overall talented than Kmart. Kmart is a scat back with limited potential. I'll grant you Fannings fumbling issues. That's the only thing that kept him from blowing up. I'd still take Fannin as the better pass catcher too. 

Yeah Fannin had it all if only he could hold onto the ball.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, twilli13 said:

But you responded to my post, which had nothing to do with that. 

Out of curiosity, why did you even mention JJ if you did not want to bring him into the discussion?  All is good my friend....time to let it go on my end. I understand what you were trying to get across and all is well on this end. Chemo is driving me crazy and is making me far more argumentative as my lovely wife of 35 years states! 

Godspeed & WDE!

4 hours ago, twilli13 said:

Nope, never. I obviously have a very low football IQ and certainly have no idea what I'm talking about. Just ignore me.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

Out of curiosity, why did you even mention JJ if you did not want to bring him into the discussion?  All is good my friend....time to let it go on my end. I understand what you were trying to get across and all is well on this end. Chemo is driving me crazy and is making me far more argumentative as my lovely wife of 35 years states! 

Godspeed & WDE!

You are a treasure and we need you to get well, Doc. Godspeed back at ya. 

• Thanks 1

We can argue all day on which back or receiver was better. Individually they are all close and they are all good which is why their is a good bit of optimism.  The real story will be two area's the O-Line which was great in 2013 and this years O-line which has potential to be really good based on end of last year but is basically the same O-line that was not very good most of last year and whether one or both of our QB's step up.  If O-line doesn't produce the skill players are neutralized same thing if QB doesn't produce.  

I am mildly optimistic in that I think the O-Line is ready to take the next step forward and we have two talented but young QB's ready to utilize the talent we have at the skill positions. I am also optimistic because of players we have returning on D.  Now I wish I could do something about our schedule as it is a nightmare.

4 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Mario Fannin: 5'11, 225-230, ran a 4.37. Definitely great metrics for a running back!

I guess that's why he got his most carries in a single season, 84, as a true freshman. (Brad Lester had 125. Kodi Burns had 54.)  He averaged 57 carries a season over 4 years. In 2009, he caught more balls than he had rushing attempts. In 2010, as a senior, he had double-digit carries twice- against Arkansas and against La Monroe. He averaged 4 carries a game against SEC competition that year. In our last 4 games of that season- against uga, bama, USC in the SECCG, and Oregon in the national title game- he had 7 total carries and none against bama or Oregon. 6 of them came in the SECCG blowout. (He caught 4 balls over that same stretch.)

As for OMac, here are 2 minutes and 42 seconds of highlights from 2010. Literally one play on the entire reel where he ran inside a tackle. 

Not sure why I'm continuing on with this. Dude just asked Bird if he watches Auburn games. It is fun to watch 2010 highlights, so there's that. 

Man they are fun to watch. My main point was I'd take Fannin over Kmart. No offense to KMart, I just think Fannin was better. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

Nope, never. I obviously have a very low football IQ and certainly have no idea what I'm talking about. Just ignore me.

Lol. No offense meant man. I just think Fannin was clearly better. I may not being seeing the whole story though. I guess the good thing is, and the whole point of this original post was, we got skillz this coming year. We can debate forever who was better. But damn, this year could be fun, I'll admit. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, doc4aday said:

Godspeed & WDE!

For me too. Stay well man!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, twilli13 said:

Man they are fun to watch. My main point was I'd take Fannin over Kmart. No offense to KMart, I just think Fannin was better. 

And I don't mean to suggest that any of our current guys are better than any particular guy from that team. Just that our current roster might have 8 8s whereas that 2010 team had 5 10s. These numbers are not exact lol.

• RunInRed featured this topic
  • 2 months later...
8 minutes ago, CR said:

It's early but this isn't looking good so far. Amazing how different things look in hindsight.

Potential...

:laugh:

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, CR said:

It's early but this isn't looking good so far. Amazing how different things look in hindsight.

And how different an offensive line can make playmakers look. 

Although substitutions might have just as much to do with it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

When a left tackle walks on the field anywhere near the player that Greg Robinson was in 2010, my opinion will change.  The rest of the OL was made up of veterans as well.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, AU9377 said:

When a left tackle walks on the field anywhere near the player that Greg Robinson was in 2010, my opinion will change.  The rest of the OL was made up of veterans as well.

GRob was 2013.   I think it was Ziemba at LT in 2010.