Next Play-by-Play Broadcaster (Update 8/12: Andy Burcham)

tigeraddikt

28 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

Simply a stupendous, brilliant, deduction on your part. From here on out I will check with you before I post anything. You add so much intelligence and inside information  to the site, I’m really not worthy.

Thank you for helping me see the light!

Appreciate that fam! Quite possibly the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me in muhhhhhhhhhhh life! OHHH STAHHHHHHHHHHP IT!!! I am blushing right now!!!!! You are going to have to buy me dinner and take me to a movie first before you get me blushing next time mister! hahahah WOOOOOO!!!! LETS GO!!!!! We are brodies for life now after this.!!!!! You are officially on the Christmas card list. You think the fam would mind if I came over for thanksgiving dinner this year?! lmao

werwerwer.gif

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

Appreciate that fam! Quite possibly the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me in muhhhhhhhhhhh life! OHHH STAHHHHHHHHHHP IT!!! I am blushing right now!!!!! You are going to have to buy me dinner and take me to a movie first before you get me blushing next time mister! hahahah WOOOOOO!!!! LETS GO!!!!! We are brodies for life now after this.!!!!! You are officially on the Christmas card list. You think the fam would mind if I came over for thanksgiving dinner this year?! lmao

werwerwer.gif

I’ll bet your Dad and Granddad are so proud of you. That’s such a good thing; you always want to make your Dad proud! 

4 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Calling a football game on television is a far cry from calling one on the radio.  The level of detail you need to have in a radio pxp call is infinitely more difficult because you have to "paint the picture" for the viewer.  A TV broadcaster essentially just has to identify and sometimes silence is the best thing he/she can do.  Verne's call of the Kick 6 and how he laid out for over a minute after the score is a great piece of play by play that wouldn't fly on radio.

Here's some examples for the same play with the ball spotted at the opponents 41 yd line.

TV style play call - "Newton hands it off to Dyer and he'll go to his right and pick up about 3 on the play."

Radio style play call - "Newton comes to the line with two wideouts left and one to the far side.  Dyer is in the backfield to his right.  Snap back, handoff to Dyer up the middle now bouncing it out to his right.  He's across the 40 and taken down to the 38 for a pick up of three."

Essentially, TV is much easier.  The skills don't translate well and that's why most guys start in radio before moving to TV.  Much easier transition that way.

Didn't say TV broadcasting = Radio broadcasting.

Said Andy will be just fine because he has done radio broadcasting for over 20 years. Ditto with meshing the timing with Stan because they have both worked their respective positions 17+ years.

8 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

I’ll bet your Dad and Granddad are so proud of you. That’s such a good thing; you always want to make your Dad proud! 

Can you hang around for a second or 2?! Let me go ask him real quick. Hold on!! THERE HE IS!!! Hey Bruce (he lets me call him Bruce!) you proud of me?!

sdd.gif

41 minutes ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

Didn't say TV broadcasting = Radio broadcasting.

Said Andy will be just fine because he has done radio broadcasting for over 20 years. Ditto with meshing the timing with Stan because they have both worked their respective positions 17+ years.

I've done radio broadcasting for over a decade.  I'm telling you from experience that the first time I called a football game was a whole different animal because I primarily did baseball and basketball previous to that.  It's not something that can be replicated easily.  I think could Andy could handle the job, but I'm trying to bring the perspective that just because you have broadcasting experience doesn't mean you are the right fit for a gig.

Just because someone is a chef doesn't mean they can cook BBQ ya know 😉

28 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

I've done radio broadcasting for over a decade.  I'm telling you from experience that the first time I called a football game was a whole different animal because I primarily did baseball and basketball previous to that.  It's not something that can be replicated easily.  I think could Andy could handle the job, but I'm trying to bring the perspective that just because you have broadcasting experience doesn't mean you are the right fit for a gig.

Just because someone is a chef doesn't mean they can cook BBQ ya know 😉

Brad law is this you!? It all makes sense now! Lol. 

12 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

HAHA!  I promise I'm not Brad Law.

Did you say you're not NOT Brad law.

Well,whoever it is I will still be tuning in on my trusty radio like I have been since 1962. Auburn football Saturdays are just not the same without the ole radio.

3 hours ago, KnightTiger said:

someone on scout forums said Rob Pate is rumored to be the new play by play guy

Everything I've seen says Stan will be back.

Rob is doing play by play for Auburn games. Auburn High School that is.

It’s Andy!! God Bless and War Eagle!!!

Fantastic decision. This is the only guy that bring any sense of normality back into the booth at this time. If you don't follow baseball and haven't listened to Rod and Andy call games, they were best friends and had incredible chemistry. I'm looking forward to hearing a little piece of Rod every time Andy is in the booth. 

This is not the sexy pick that people may have wanted to see, but it's the best pick. Rod's best friend and right hand man taking over his legacy. I love it. War Eagle Mr. Burcham.

2 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Fantastic decision. This is the only guy that bring any sense of normality back into the booth at this time. If you don't follow baseball and haven't listened to Rod and Andy call games, they were best friends and had incredible chemistry. I'm looking forward to hearing a little piece of Rod every time Andy is in the booth. 

This is not the sexy pick that people may have wanted to see, but it's the best pick. Rod's best friend and right hand man taking over his legacy. I love it. War Eagle Mr. Burcham.

I don't think there ever was a sexy pick. :)

Just now, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Obviously nobody will replace Rod but let’s be open minded and give him a chance 

Nobody could replace Jim Fyffe either. 

I am OK with this...JMO but the broadcast team should not be making the game about them ...or trying to become the focus of attention on exciting plays. 

Give us an honest description, focus on the game and what's happening..... and don't get too homerish on questionable calls or plays.... all I'm looking for. 

Andy is also now the legal guardian of Shelby and Joshua Bramblett, Rod and Paula’s children. Pretty neat how Andy is kind of taking on the mantle of many different aspects of Rod’s life. A lot of people struggle with finding their purpose in life. I think Andy has found his purpose and I am so excited for him. 

Archived