Next Play-by-Play Broadcaster (Update 8/12: Andy Burcham)

tigeraddikt

1 minute ago, aubietiger14 said:

Pretty dumb that he doesn't tip seeing as to how he is a part owner of a restaurant (Nino's in Pelham)

I'm told the manner in which eats is somewhat pig-like and disgusting. And no, my acquaintance who served him his food in turdtown is not an Auburn fan. 

Evidently this happened more than once in this particular establishment, so it wasn't a one time thing. But it might have only happened at this one restaurant. But I don't care. I strongly dislike Eli Gold. 

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I'm told the manner in which eats is somewhat pig-like and disgusting. And no, my acquaintance who served him his food in turdtown is not an Auburn fan. 

Evidently this happened more than once in this particular establishment, so it wasn't a one time thing. But it might have only happened at this one restaurant. But I don't care. I strongly dislike Eli Gold. 

image.jpeg

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Guys like Eli Gold also get comped a lot of meals. Hopefully most of them tip. Eli does not. I have sources. 

Gold calls more than just bama football...I've heard him elsewhere ...maybe NASCAR too...  

I miss guys like Larry Munson and Kaywood Ledford who were the voices of their schools with a supremely recognizable style and voice who developed their style on radio and had the ability to enable the listener to "see" the game with their descriptions. 

47 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

10 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Gold calls more than just bama football...I've heard him elsewhere ...maybe NASCAR too...  

I miss guys like Larry Munson and Kaywood Ledford who were the voices of their schools with a supremely recognizable style and voice who developed their style on radio and had the ability to enable the listener to "see" the game with their descriptions. 

Eli Gold has been  around broadcasting sports since the 70s. He has done NASCAR, hockey and as we now know,  bama football.I personally met him when he was hanging around the Birmingham Bulls  hockey team of the now defunct WHA.. I got invited by Glen Sonmor,, the coach of the Bulls to his condo after a game one night for a drink along with most of the team when in walks this guy that must of weighed  well in excess of 300 lbs. It was quite obvious he was no hockey player. He was pretty disgusting to look at to be truthful. I don't know if he is  as fat these days as he was back then but I really don't care to find out. bama can have him

WDE

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

I think he is retired from everything except bama play by play.  I heard him on the radio a year or 2 ago announcing him relinquishing his NASCAR duties on the radio.  Still has a production company though.

On 5/31/2019 at 1:49 PM, Swamp Eagle said:

I'm all in for McKnight to eventually be the guy.

I hope it is McKnight as well! A classic smooth voice!

4 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Seen him eat on a cruise ship; absolutely, positively disgusting! My spouse literally walked away in disgust, said she would never watch him eat again!

This was when he was announcing with a usually drunken Kenny Stabler. So you had a play-by-play guy eating like a pig, coupled with a drunk.

1 hour ago, Carnell said:

I think he is retired from everything except bama play by play.  I heard him on the radio a year or 2 ago announcing him relinquishing his NASCAR duties on the radio.  Still has a production company though.

contrary to our guys the past 20 or 30 year who are definitely "Auburn".....I think for Gold, the bama job is just a job....don't sense the passion that we enjoyed from RB and JF. 

I agree with Barry McKnight coming to Auburn. Another option I haven’t seen mentioned  is Chuck Oliver. Would he step off his throne as the King of College Football and come back to his alma mater to take over play-by-play duties? I do not know Chuck’s salary but I do listen to his show regularly and I heard him say Auburn was his top 3 in priorities, sometimes two depending on how his kids are acting. What do you think? Please see the below video to see him make Mark Richt angry.

https://atlanta.sbnation.com/2012/12/2/3718144/video-mark-richt-comments-chuck-oliver

10 hours ago, Btiger1982 said:

I agree with Barry McKnight coming to Auburn. Another option I haven’t seen mentioned  is Chuck Oliver. Would he step off his throne as the King of College Football and come back to his alma mater to take over play-by-play duties? I do not know Chuck’s salary but I do listen to his show regularly and I heard him say Auburn was his top 3 in priorities, sometimes two depending on how his kids are acting. What do you think? Please see the below video to see him make Mark Richt angry.

https://atlanta.sbnation.com/2012/12/2/3718144/video-mark-richt-comments-chuck-oliver

Does Oliver have any play-by-play experience at all?  Just because someone hosts a radio show or has done color in the past doesn't mean they have the skills to be in the pxp position.  Takes literally thousands of repetitions to get remotely good at it.

On the other hand, McKnight would be a great option.  Very good, very smooth, and he's genuinely a nice guy.

21 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Does Oliver have any play-by-play experience at all?  Just because someone hosts a radio show or has done color in the past doesn't mean they have the skills to be in the pxp position.  Takes literally thousands of repetitions to get remotely good at it.

On the other hand, McKnight would be a great option.  Very good, very smooth, and he's genuinely a nice guy.

Radio especially but even on TV.   We watch all of the pxp guys on ESPN and SEC during the season when we are mostly getting trainees .....and we see how tough the job is and how few of the former athletes that get hired for that purpose are very good.    Maybe they don't do the research or who knows but they seem driven to fill the air time with quips and clichés and war stories of their past.  The other night when Williams hit the walk-off homer, the announcers were not even aware of the game situation......talking about unrelated stiff....and took them a moment to even know what was going on and then very little emotion. . 

whoever it is there has to be chemistry with Stan White. Stan complimented Rod perfectly.

We are probably good in basketball, Sonny and Bruce will make the transition easy.

Fishback would be great if he decides to leave his gig at SEC Network

Chizik same

Its gonna take a few seasons. Auburn wont ever be the same without Rod. But after Jim Fyffe we did pretty good.

20 hours ago, Btiger1982 said:

Heck no on "The King"

On 6/5/2019 at 2:18 PM, McLoofus said:

Guys like Eli Gold also get comped a lot of meals. Hopefully most of them tip. Eli does not. I have sources. 

Heard this for years from a friend that has a Nascar radio show in lower Alabama.

On 6/5/2019 at 2:46 PM, McLoofus said:

I am guessing Dreamland BBQ.

On 6/5/2019 at 2:46 PM, McLoofus said:

Have also heard from my friend he is all hands with the female wait staff.

10 minutes ago, kevon67 said:

Have also heard from my friend he is all hands with the female wait staff.

Definitely thinks he's a ladies man. I've heard from a recipient. 

On 6/5/2019 at 3:50 PM, McLoofus said:
On 6/5/2019 at 3:49 PM, aubietiger14 said:

image.jpeg

Not far off, according to how I heard it!

Well..... I can't really say anything to the eating part.  That looks like me at Buffalo Wings & Rings.   .....but I tip very well 😎

On 6/5/2019 at 4:45 PM, AU64 said:

As much as I hate thUga, I LOVED Larry Munson.  Dude painted a picture and his voice was football gold.

21 hours ago, Btiger1982 said:

Another option I haven’t seen mentioned  is Chuck Oliver.

I like Chuck fine and he's fairly entertaining in the Sports Talk format (or, at least was back when I was still in Atlanta several years ago) but his voice is pretty grating and I cannot image him with the emotion like Jim or Rob brought it.  IMO..

On 6/5/2019 at 7:24 PM, AU64 said:

.I think for Gold, the bama job is just a job....don't sense the passion that we enjoyed from RB and JF. 

Have always believed that to be the case. He is a horrible PBP guy. Love radio sports broadcasts. Baseball being my favorite through radio.

I was forced to enjoy the NCG via radio in Mexico Beach last season due to cable outage from Michael. Eli is horrible. Rarely gives the score, clock time, etc...He does have the ability to call a 3 yard bammer loss as though they gained 40 yards.Very tough to get the picture IMO.

4 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Great stuff. Broken chair call

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMKzo_5ZIVc

LOL!  I remember they made radio commercials out of that broken chair.

...note, he even PROVED his knowledge of dawg fans by pointing out how there was "going to be property destroyed tonight"!  HA!!!

Archived