Next Play-by-Play Broadcaster (Update 8/12: Andy Burcham)

tigeraddikt

17 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

I equate it to the time I watched an AU game with Jeff Blake while Emory was playing WR.  I was definitely watching as a fan, while he was watching from the perspective of an ex-NFL QB.  Just a very different outlook than what I had while watching that game.

What were some notable things Jeff Blake was saying? I hope this wasn't in 2012 lol

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, Tiger said:

What were some notable things Jeff Blake was saying? I hope this wasn't in 2012 lol

I think it was the 2011 Clemson game if I recall correctly.  He was predicting both teams plays largely based on formations.  Kept mentioning how Clemson was daring us to throw it 10 yards over the middle and how we weren't even attempting to take advantage of it.  I think he also said something about receivers not being physical enough at the line that day to get off of coverage, but hard to remember since it was 8 years ago now.  It was really cool to sit with him though.

Just now, Brad_ATX said:

I think it was the 2011 Clemson game if I recall correctly.  He was predicting both teams plays largely based on formations.  Kept mentioning how Clemson was daring us to throw it 10 yards over the middle and how we weren't even attempting to take advantage of it.  I think he also said something about receivers not being physical enough at the line that day to get off of coverage, but hard to remember since it was 8 years ago now.  It was really cool to sit with him though.

I'm glad to see at least one thing hasn't changed in 8 years :slapfh:

I just want an Auburn grad to be the next announcer.  Outside of that I trust whoever they hire.

22 hours ago, triangletiger said:

I hear Beth Mowens is going to be our next play-by-play announcer.  😆

Beth Mowens is an actual announcer? I thought she was just an overdubbed voice they put on ESPNU and ESPN2 to get everyone to switch to the game on ESPN.

On 6/3/2019 at 3:42 PM, augolf1716 said:

I believe he did not 100% sure but I also kinda blank out those Barfield years 

A lot of us are guilty of blanking out those years....

On 7/30/2019 at 3:33 PM, triangletiger said:

I hear Beth Mowens is going to be our next play-by-play announcer.  😆

I just threw up in my mouth a little bit!

10 minutes ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

It’s Andy Burcham. Congrats Andy!

Not sure about that. Bill Cameron said on his radio show yesterday an announcement will not be made til mid August. Also someone on the show said it's trending right now for Paul Ellen to do football & Andy to do basketball.

34 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Not sure about that. Bill Cameron said on his radio show yesterday an announcement will not be made til mid August. Also someone on the show said it's trending right now for Paul Ellen to do football & Andy to do basketball.

Andy will do football and Brad will do basketball. Brad will take over football when Andy retires. 

14 minutes ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

Andy will do football and Brad will do basketball. Brad will take over football when Andy retires. 

OK. Can you loosely tell us where you’re getting this from? After all, the rules of the site are if you can’t post a link at least give a bibliography of the connection involved with the info.

7 minutes ago, ellitor said:

OK. Can you loosely tell us where you’re getting this from? After all, the rules of the site are if you can’t post a link at least give a bibliography of the connection involved with the info.

There are rules on this site? Interesting. When are they going to start being enforced?

You can read one of my prior posts in this thread. That should give you some insight to my type of connection to this subject. You of all people should understand I will not be revealing his/her name. 

1 minute ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

You can read one of my prior posts in this thread. That should give you some insight to my type of connection to this subject.

Link the post you are referencing please. I'm not about to read 6 pages looking for it.

You of all people should understand I will not be revealing his/her name. 

I said loose bibliography. That means state the general connection without revealing any names. Could be as simple as I know someone who works for the AU Sports Network.

Andy Burcham seems like a logical choice since he’s been doing other sports at Auburn for awhile.  Paul Ellen has a great radio voice but I’m not familiar with any play by play he’s done before.  

1 minute ago, Win4AU said:

Andy Burcham seems like a logical choice since he’s been doing other sports at Auburn for awhile.  Paul Ellen has a great radio voice but I’m not familiar with any play by play he’s done before.  

Paul is good on basketball & the best voice we have on baseball IMO. If it's between the 2 I prefer Paul for football TBH.

32 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Link the post you are referencing please. I'm not about to read 6 pages looking for it.

I said loose bibliography. That means state the general connection without revealing any names. Could be as simple as I know someone who works for the AU Sports Network.

He said he knows someone in local sports radio, for what it's worth. Granted, I have no idea where "local" is. 

22 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

He said he knows someone in local sports radio, for what it's worth. Granted, I have no idea where "local" is. 

Thanks barnacle! That’s at least something.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

https://www.aufamily.com/forums/topic/167192-next-play-by-play-broadcaster/?do=findComment&comment=3086560

I’m not going to reveal the station as that would be a dead giveaway. 

59 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Andy used to call Auburn football PPVs with Rod doing color. Andy has also done Spring games too. Paul has done the 2nd halves of Spring games. 

4 minutes ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

https://www.aufamily.com/forums/topic/167192-next-play-by-play-broadcaster/?do=findComment&comment=3086560

I’m not going to reveal the station as that would be a dead giveaway. 

And you know I wouldn’t ask you to. Relax.

1 minute ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

Andy used to call Auburn football PPVs with Rod doing color. Andy has also done Spring games too. 

Yep! And that brings me to my other thought. I like Andy better on TV then on radio. Loved watching the old CSS games with him and Cole Cubelic on the call in the early 2000s.

Archived