Auburn In The NFL Thread

aujeff11

10 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

I really really want him to have a fantastic year.

I do too individually as long as the Saints win the division.

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

I do too individually as long as the Saints win the division.

Yep, and Cam win wildcard as 5 seed, and play Saints in NFC championship (I think that's possible if the 6 seed also wins 1st round)

13 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

Yep, and Cam win wildcard as 5 seed, and play Saints in NFC championship (I think that's possible if the 6 seed also wins 1st round)

If the Saints were the 1 seed they play the lower remaining seed after the wildcard round regardless of division affiliation. If the Saints are #1 & Panthers #6 they would play the week before the NFC Championship.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

If the Saints were the 1 seed they play the lower remaining seed after the wildcard round regardless of division affiliation. If the Saints are #1 & Panthers #6 they would play the week before the NFC Championship.

That's why I said the 5th seed, and the 6th seed to also win 😁

1 minute ago, AUBwins said:

That's why I said the 5th seed, and the 6th seed to also win 😁

Yeah...Reading is difficult.

• Haha 1

Just now, ellitor said:

Yeah...Reading is difficult.

Why the heck are we awake anyways trying to read these threads? Time for sleep Haha

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, aubearcat said:

That's fantastic! Happy for my Man Stids. Keep grinding. 

• Like 1

The spotlight in the Cleveland Browns’ training camp has been on quarterback Baker Mayfield as the former No. 1 draft choice prepares for his second season, wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr. as the three-time Pro Bowler comes aboard via a trade with the New York Giants and coach Freddie Kitchens as the former Alabama QB starts his first season in charge of an NFL team.

But the Browns’ ability to live up to the optimism now surrounding a franchise that didn’t win a game in the 2017 season might rest on the performance of Greg Robinson, a former Auburn standout who’ll be protecting Mayfield’s blind side. Cleveland has entrusted the health and safety of its most important player to a left tackle who didn’t measure up to his status as the second player picked in the 2014 NFL Draft -- at least, so far.

Robinson had started 42 games in his three seasons with the Rams when Los Angeles signed free agent Andrew Whitworth to take his job. Traded to the Detroit Lions for a sixth-round draft pick, an ankle injury limited Robinson to six games in 2017, and he was without a team last year until the Browns picked him up on June 19.

In the first eight games of the 2018 season, Robinson sat while undrafted rookie Desmond Harrison handled left offensive tackle.

At that point, the Browns, with a 2-5-1 record, fired coach Hue Jackson and offensive coordinator Todd Haley, elevated defensive coordinator Gregg Williams to head coach and Kitchens from running-backs coach to offensive coordinator and put Robinson in the lineup. He played every snap at left tackle the rest of the way.

Cleveland won five of its remaining eight games, and the offensive line, which had yielded 33 sacks in the first half of the season, gave up only five in the second half.

“Despite the things that I went through early on, I tried my best to just stay positive,” Robinson said, “because it’s enough that a lot of people around me are beating me up. I don’t want to beat myself up. I try my best to continue to improve each day, and that’s what’s important.”

In the offseason, the Browns didn't look for a left tackle. Instead, Cleveland signed Robinson to a one-year, $7 million contract, signaling his security in the starting lineup after nearly being out of the league.

“Honestly, it’s up to me to mess this up,” Robinson said.

He's not planning to, of course. Robinson said his willingness to study and listen had improved "100 percent" since he entered the NFL.

“I would say early on it was just more so me taking off to just my technique, depending more on my strength and my athleticism,” Robinson said. “But now I’ve tried and openly taken advice from my coaches and tried my best to incorporate the things that they’re trying to teach into my game. It’s helping me a lot, and it’s kind of slowing the game down for me.”

Mayfield praised Robinson's play as soon as the tackle entered the lineup.

“From Day 1, I felt the love,” Robinson said of the quarterback. “I didn’t know him from a can of paint, but initially I just felt like, ‘Oh, this is a guy I really want to protect, I really want to work with.’ And you spend these long days in the building with these guys, you have no choice but to bond.”

Robinson hasn’t always felt the love of those covering the Browns’ training camp, who have noted his difficulties dealing with defensive end Myles Garrett during practice. The first player picked in the 2017 NFL Draft, Garrett went to the Pro Bowl last season.

Robinson said going against Garrett's pass-rush ability daily can only help him.

“Honestly, I couldn’t ask for a better situation," Robinson said. "I feel like it’s only going to prepare me for real game, live situations. I don’t feel like I’ll get that work anywhere else. …

"If he beats me, nine times out of 10 I know what I did wrong before he tells me. I can honestly take a step, and I know when I'm beat, so I have to adjust to try to make up for what I did wrong. But we communicate a lot, and I feel like that's only going to make us better."

Kitchens told reporters he doesn't worry about Robinson getting beaten by Garrett.

“I think Myles is a pretty good player, and I think Greg is a pretty good player,” Kitchens said. “I think that’s a good competition. When Myles is in the backfield, I would say he’s supposed to be there and that’s where I want him most of the game.”

Cleveland will kick off its four-game preseason schedule at 6:30 p.m. CDT Thursday when the Washington Redskins visit FirstEnergy Stadium.

• Love 1

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I was somewhat surprised about the slot. I’d have said deep ball or bubble screens. 

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Oh, for real? Dude's gonna play real live football tonight. Hope he gets an extra series for his bday. We all know what a softie Bill B. is.

Image result for belichick gif

• Haha 2

• Like 2

Shout out Josh Vitale for pointing out Stid's td was an intermediate throw over the middle. Lol.

So can I draft Meyers in fantasy?? Kid is showing up big.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

Has Ryan got in?

Don't think so.

Should be 3 tds for Stid. What a throw on that last one. With a bit of pressure, too. He already looks more confident than he did with his first possession.

• Like 1

Damn shame we couldn't protect Stidz. Look how on point he is with protection and an offense suited for his abilities. I know it's soooo early and the Lions D is bad (plus playing without a full squad) and there was no game planning for him but damn he looks about as good as you could've wanted if you're a Pats fan

Edited by Tiger
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1