Auburn SEC Media Days Interviews

abw0004

All videos are well worth watching.  I was blown away on how well spoken all four of the players were and everyone seems to be on the same page.  Even Malzahn seemed a little more lively.  A little.  Well worth watching all four videos:

Gus gave some good answers and admitted he made a mistake giving up the play calling. He says he gave up playcalling based on bad advice,  but I believe it was also because he was frustrated with his offense.  

Gus is betting on himself and I like that about him.  All in or go home will make for a dramatic, if not exciting season.

Our coach and our players represented Auburn well. I enjoyed their personalities. Gus seems waaaay more relaxed than he's been in previous years. He needs to get some different cliche phrases, though. I'm getting tired of "no doubt about it". If I pick him again this year for my man-crush, he and I are going to need to have a talk about that. He's got to step up the cliche game, because right now he's mired in mediocrity.:Sing:

Marlon D is firrrrrred up man! That dude wants to win so bad, and he really got me pumped for the season to start, like right now! I see why these guys got to represent Auburn at this event.

3 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

Gus gave some good answers and admitted he made a mistake giving up the play calling. He says he gave up playcalling based on bad advice,  but I believe it was also because he was frustrated with his offense.  

Gus is betting on himself and I like that about him.  All in or go home will make for a dramatic, if not exciting season.

His program, his decision.  He shouldn't be trying to lay blame elsewhere.

20 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

I dont think it's as much laying blame as just stating what happened lol. Someone, probably Kiffin, gave Saban bad advice that Sarkisian isn't horrible, but he made the bad choice to bring him into the fold. It's not making an excuse to state you had outside influence, and the guy has ate the blame for terrible offensive performances so many times lol.

1 minute ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I dont think it's as much laying blame as just stating what happened lol. Someone, probably Kiffin, gave Saban bad advice that Sarkisian isn't horrible, but he made the bad choice to bring him into the fold. It's not making an excuse to state you had outside influence, and the guy has ate the blame for terrible offensive performances so many times lol.

Can you link to a quote where Saban laid that decision at someone else's feet?

5 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

1. Gus didn’t blame a particular person. He just said he received bad advice. 

2. Saban always points the finger. Just yesterday he blamed the ACs for having their own agendas after the LSU game  Saban will blame anybody including his players before he accepts criticism. 

13 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

He laid the whole season on selfish coaches....guess you missed that....

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

And the players

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

Yep . Hardly any credit given to Clemson also by him or his players. 

I understand people are disgruntled by Gus but can we at least be somewhat fair in our judgement or criticism. Please baby Jesus , this is all I ask. 

17 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Btw Sarkisian is BACK and currently the OC at Alabama.

Fool Saban once, shame on you, fool him twice (which will happen), shame on the media, his players, his waterboy guy, and his fans. But not him. 

3 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

Fool Saban once, shame on you, fool him twice (which will happen), shame on the media, his players, his waterboy guy, and his fans. But not him. 

That was my point, even the best minds can make bad decision when someone else’s advice, that they trust, is being factored in. Bringing Sark back is offensive suicide. 

Really not expecting much from this season and have avoided the media hoopla because of it but Marlon is making that hard for me. We know what Derrick is going to do but Marlon has to have that monster year. I know he's capable of it.

11 hours ago, dyehardfanAU said:

Not trying to sound rude, but why are you asking for a quote?  When we ask you for quotes or statistics to back up a lot of your commentary you have not once produced any.  You just ignore the request.

And coaches go to others for advice all of the time.  Usually their mentors.  Same thing happens in business.  That is what peer groups are for.  To bounce ideas off of others to come up with the best solution.  The best thing a boss or owner can ever do is have an employee under you or a peer at another company challenge your thinking and not be a "Yes-Man."  That is what makes this forum so great.  There are so many different points of view that someone else can catch something others have missed because they see it at a different angle.

12 hours ago, dyehardfanAU said:

It was said here, by a couple that are thought to be in the know, that the PTB ORDERED Gus to step back from the play calling and turn that duty over to an OC. They were "helping him". That was a couple of seasons back. So Gus was being quite politic when he called it advice, he could have called it orders.

I like it better with Gus running his own show and he sinks or swims with it, PTB be damned.

11 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

Is Sark going to be sober enough to call the plays? Dude needs help. 

11 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

1. Gus didn’t blame a particular person. He just said he received bad advice. 

2. Saban always points the finger. Just yesterday he blamed the ACs for having their own agendas after the LSU game  Saban will blame anybody including his players before he accepts criticism. 

Thanks, I missed the discussion about Saban and his AC comments.  It looks like he was roundly criticized for them.

8 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

That was my point, even the best minds can make bad decision when someone else’s advice, that they trust, is being factored in. Bringing Sark back is offensive suicide. 

That's what I swore would happen when he brought in Kiffin/Dabol/Nueissmyer/McElwain/Lockley and yet they've consistently fielded a balanced and productive offense for over a decade.  I honestly though Lane Kiffin was poison and would tank that ship in a heartbeat, we all saw what he did with thise QBs and how he evolved their scheme. 

12 hours ago, abw0004 said:

Not trying to sound rude, but why are you asking for a quote?  When we ask you for quotes or statistics to back up a lot of your commentary you have not once produced any.  You just ignore the request.

And coaches go to others for advice all of the time.  Usually their mentors.  Same thing happens in business.  That is what peer groups are for.  To bounce ideas off of others to come up with the best solution.  The best thing a boss or owner can ever do is have an employee under you or a peer at another company challenge your thinking and not be a "Yes-Man."  That is what makes this forum so great.  There are so many different points of view that someone else can catch something others have missed because they see it at a different angle.

I don’t know about him but I know as of late his posse or pack have done just that. I enjoy his content though. You got the nail on the head. The variety of discussion makes this place fun. 

11 hours ago, keesler said:

That's what I swore would happen when he brought in Kiffin/Dabol/Nueissmyer/McElwain/Lockley and yet they've consistently fielded a balanced and productive offense for over a decade.  I honestly though Lane Kiffin was poison and would tank that ship in a heartbeat, we all saw what he did with thise QBs and how he evolved their scheme. 

Kiffin's a genius at the OC position, Locksley is an example of giving a guy who hadnt yet had a chance one. He was more of an unknown than a known failure. The rest of your names are all very meh but at least they fit the scheme Saban had employed throughout the first half of his tenure. I dont know what Sark gives you in any positive regard. He wont really follow up on Locksley's fast pace run n gun style that he designed for Tua. He doesnt have any creativity merit. Hes a known quantity, and not in a good way

Archived