Honorable Mentions - Kent State

AUght2win

Another thread devoted to the less-obvious noteworthy performances.

1. Jay Jay Wilson - this guy was hyped all offseason. Waited his turn and made a nice impact in his first real action. 3 catches, including one really difficult ball in heavy traffic. Got wide open for a TD but Bo missed him. Looking forward to seeing him used more and more.

2. Kam Martin - Auburn had three guys rush for over 100 yards last night. Kam wasn't one of them, but he had the highest YPC average with 7 carries for 71 yards and a TD. He looked really explosive and decisivd last night. Was a great change of pace from Boobie. Making a real play for the #2 back. 

3. Big Kat - he looks to be getting better and better. Didn't overpursue much last night and grabbed a sack. Kept the QB contained when he rolled his way. 

Sal Cannella! He has improved some with ball security over the years...

Definitely agree with JayJay Wilson. He could be an immense weapon AT TE. Although we don't use those,  but I digress.  I'd like to give a big shout out for little pack of dynamite Shaun Shivers. I like his competitive spirit! 

1 hour ago, nixtosanders94 said:

ESPN announcing crew...Usually terrible but this one was alright. 

I thought one was weak early, but they really grew on me throughout the game.

Derrick Hall, and Jaren Handy both looked good. 

Hall actually started, or was in on the first series. Looked really solid watching him live. Unfortunately, he was injured in the 4th quarter. Hope it's not serious. Handy was a man possessed once he got in. High on both these guys.

1 hour ago, AUFriction said:

Anthony Schwartz. Didn’t record a lot of stats, but made a clutch third down catch with a cast on his hand.

Yes he actually bobbled it. I think it bounces of his cast but he stayed with it even as he was being tackled. Impressive young man

3 hours ago, ToraGirl said:

Sal Cannella! He has improved some with ball security over the years...

Yes! Sal is much improved in his hands and route running, but I am more impressed with his perimeter blocking improvement. We need to get him targets in the redzone!

1 hour ago, Sizzle said:

Truesdell. He held it down without Derrick Brown the whole game. Got another sack. McCreary continues to make plays too

Man...he is the surprise of the season thus far. Excellent job.

5 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

Derrick Hall, and Jaren Handy both looked good. 

Hall actually started, or was in on the first series. Looked really solid watching him live. Unfortunately, he was injured in the 4th quarter. Hope it's not serious. Handy was a man possessed once he got in. High on both these guys.

Yes Derick looks like he will be an impact player one day and I was so stoked to see J-Hand out there. He looked good. I definitely see him being and inside guy over the years. He seems to have some grit too.

other honorable mentions for me-

Bailey Sharp-stepped in for Tega and did a good job. I would also throw in the entire back up OFF Line.

13 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I am more impressed with his perimeter blocking improvement.

I am guessing this is why he's getting more passes thrown his way. He was an equally good route runner and pass catcher last year. 

14 hours ago, Sizzle said:

Truesdell. He held it down without Derrick Brown the whole game. Got another sack. McCreary continues to make plays too

100%. Beasts, both of them.

14 hours ago, nixtosanders94 said:

ESPN announcing crew...Usually terrible but this one was alright. 

Great call.

Shivers proved why he is a better back. Hits the hole, uses his blockers, can make it through the small creases that are made, and has the speed to break any of them. JMO

Sal made a difficult catch. I believe he has received a rep as not having the best hands. Also Sharp it seems. I thought he was playing bad but others noted he did well so maybe I was just hung up on a couple of plays

Mine goes to Bailey Sharp for his phenomenal play at left tackle! Not sure if that’s in the spirit of the thread, but I wanted to give him props.

9 hours ago, cole256 said:

Also Sharp it seems. I thought he was playing bad but others noted he did well so maybe I was just hung up on a couple of plays

I thought all in all he played better than I personally expected. He graded out pretty good. 

9 hours ago, bigbird said:

Shivers proved why he is a better back. Hits the hole, uses his blockers, can make it through the small creases that are made, and has the speed to break any of them. JMO

I agree. The only thing I can't seem to figure out...some runs...he looks like a tank. Then there is that run where he hits a crease and you think Oh My this kid has just one man to beat....and it seems like that guy dive four feet and swipes his leg and Worm takes a hard tumble. For a guy that runs so hard and tough, sometimes that one guy bringing him down with what looks to be so easily, just baffles me. I know that will get better with reps though. He is a beast. I don't have faith in Boobee to break a long one. Every time worm touches it I think "This is it! He is going yard!"

9 hours ago, bigbird said:

I think KM and SS are both better for this offense, and based on Boobee's pass protection Sat night, probably should get more of a shot.We need more TDs from outside of the red zone.

I agree. The only thing I can't seem to figure out...some runs...he looks like a tank. Then there is that run where he hits a crease and you think Oh My this kid has just one man to beat....and it seems like that guy dive four feet and swipes his leg and Worm takes a hard tumble. For a guy that runs so hard and tough, sometimes that one guy bringing him down with what looks to be so easily, just baffles me. I know that will get better with reps though. He is a beast. I don't have faith in Boobee to break a long one. Every time worm touches it I think "This is it! He is going yard!"

I do think it's a learning thing. 

Every back has things to work on but only a privileged very few actually get the opportunity to work on those things. Is what it is I guess. 

The faster your legs are moving, the easier it is to get tripped up.  He's short and fast, so those legs are really moving.

Archived