Reevaluating Our Schedule

Zeek

I'm reevaluating how this season might go and I'd like to discuss the state of the league. The reason for my pessimism isn't so much based off our game (saw a lot of good) but what I saw in other games.

Georgia - week 2 is too early and stupid for this match-up. But hell the last decade or so we've been awful against them (especially in Athens). They didn't look great against Arkansas but their defense still looks suffocating; considering our offense didn't look great after the scripted early drive this is a little concerning. I would say the good news is their QB sucked but the backup came in and played well. Feeling 40% confident.

Arkansas - they looked fiesty at first but we should be fine. Gus always goes hard here and Chad Morris should want to hang points on the hogs too. Feeling 95% confident. 

South Carolina - doesn't look great against Tennessee right now. Struggling to run and QB isn't great. Let's shove Boom's face in the mud and throttle them. 75% confident.

OLE MISS - one of the teams that scared me a little today. They looked competitive against Florida for a good bit. Their offense was explosive and though to stop (against a Florida defense that smothered us). We'll see how they pan out but they looked better than expected in year one of Lane. 65% confident.

LSU - no defense minus some big lucky breaks. Offense did not look good either. Took a late surge for them to even look competitive. 55% confident. 

Mississippi State - put up 600+ passing yards on LSU... our secondary will need to improve dramatically to defend this. They were down right frightening tonight. 50% confident. 

Tennessee- we have to make up for one of the worst and most stupid SEC losses we've had in recent years. They're wildly overrated and continue to steal recruits. We need to shove it so far down their throats it comes out the other side. 65% confident.

Alabama - Mac Jones will be a name forgotten soon enough but for now he's a threat. He'll get a lot of yards and points thanks to the best OL money can buy and Waddle being a freak. Hard to judge Bama when they're playing Mizzou. 55% confident.

Texas A&M - I just don't see it. Jimbo isn't doing what he should be at this point and Mond never seems to make the next step. 70% confident.

The last thing we needed was for Lane and Leach to come in to the SEC West and make two more teams competitive. 

15 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I'm reevaluating how this season might go and I'd like to discuss the state of the league. The reason for my pessimism isn't so much based off our game (saw a lot of good) but what I saw in other games.

Georgia - week 2 is too early and stupid for this match-up. But hell the last decade or so we've been awful against them (especially in Athens). They didn't look great against Arkansas but their defense still looks suffocating; considering our offense didn't look great after the scripted early drive this is a little concerning. I would say the good news is their QB sucked but the backup came in and played well. Feeling 40% confident.

Arkansas - they looked fiesty at first but we should be fine. Gus always goes hard here and Chad Morris should want to hang points on the hogs too. Feeling 95% confident. 

South Carolina - doesn't look great against Tennessee right now. Struggling to run and QB isn't great. Let's shove Boom's face in the mud and throttle them. 75% confident.

OLE MISS - one of the teams that scared me a little today. They looked competitive against Florida for a good bit. Their offense was explosive and though to stop (against a Florida defense that smothered us). We'll see how they pan out but they looked better than expected in year one of Lane. 65% confident.

LSU - no defense minus some big lucky breaks. Offense did not look good either. Took a late surge for them to even look competitive. 55% confident. 

Mississippi State - put up 600+ passing yards on LSU... our secondary will need to improve dramatically to defend this. They were down right frightening tonight. 50% confident. 

Tennessee- we have to make up for one of the worst and most stupid SEC losses we've had in recent years. They're wildly overrated and continue to steal recruits. We need to shove it so far down their throats it comes out the other side. 65% confident.

Alabama - Mac Jones will be a name forgotten soon enough but for now he's a threat. He'll get a lot of yards and points thanks to the best OL money can buy and Waddle being a freak. Hard to judge Bama when they're playing Mizzou. 55% confident.

Texas A&M - I just don't see it. Jimbo isn't doing what he should be at this point and Mond never seems to make the next step. 70% confident.

The last thing we needed was for Lane and Leach to come in to the SEC West and make two more teams competitive. 

Auburn-OL/DL needs work, could be good late but could cost some wins early. Run game was non-existent. Double-digit yards per game won’t win many games.  Bo made some good throws but also had some bad run reads; still scrambles right almost always. LB corp was disappointing, especially vs medium passing game; looked lost at times. Secondary had some busted coverages but defend the run well and cover good when in position. Receiving corp looks good. Right now, probably looking at a 6-4 season at best versus the schedule. Nothing today by Auburn was awe-inspiring.

22 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I didn't get to watch games today due to working but have seen some highlights. Mississippi St worries me a bit, QB went nuts on a depleted LSU secondary but still, 600 yards is impressive. Having no turnovers today was huge and if that's a trend this year for us then a 2 or 3 loss season could be a 1 or 2 loss season. TA&M just bothers me because of where it falls, after the Iron Bowl. 

45 minutes ago, Zeek said:

The offense looked substantially better in the second half, and Georgia looked abysmal on both sides of the ball today. Toward the end of the game, the seriously undermanned Arkansas just looked winded. Prior to that, it stayed a close game. My confidence is now around 60%. It would be higher if I didn’t think UGA is likely to make some improvement over this next week after how poorly they played today. UGA along with LSU and Tennessee are the most overrated teams at the moment. I think we expose that for UGA next week.

Also, did you watch the MSU LSU game, or did you just see the stats? LSU legitimately looked like a high school team. That had a lot more to do with MSU’s passing numbers than anything MSU did. After watching them today, I’d put my confidence beating LSU up to about 75%, and my confidence beating MSU has climbed from about 65% to 70%.

Going to be hard to forecast too far this year. The team that played in the second half can win every game this year. COVID can change a whole lot, really fast though. And it probably means multiple folks missing 2 games at a time. 

But

I really like our chances against UGA. Not a legit road game, which is really the main area that Bo struggled last year. I think it will actually play out similar to today, but I am concerned that Kirby is gaming us with JT Daniels' status. They looked ok with the 4th string QB today.

I for one am optimistic after todays game. We faced a good UK team. They have a beast of an OL, and their DEF returned 8 or 9 starters I think. Their secondary was highly ranked last year as well and our WR had plenty of success. I am not naive to the struggles we had today, but I am walking away more optimistic about this season than I was before. 

This was the least stressed I have gotten watching a game since 2014. 

I honestly think the Iron Bowl decides the West winner and I think we could go into it 8-1.  I know that is bold and I know we have a ton of work, but I feel pretty good.

The biggest questions I had were the OFF Line, the DEF line, and the Secondary. I think the secondary answered everything I need...I think DL is going to be just fine...and the OFF line showed me enough in pass pro that even if they are not great in run game that our coaches can gameplan to our strength and we can be just fine. We need to pass to open the run this year. 

What a day!!! War DAmn Eagle. 

3 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I for one am optimistic after todays game. We faced a good UK team. They have a beast of an OL, and their DEF returned 8 or 9 starters I think. Their secondary was highly ranked last year as well and our WR had plenty of success. I am not naive to the struggles we had today, but I am walking away more optimistic about this season than I was before. 

This was the least stressed I have gotten watching a game since 2014. 

I honestly think the Iron Bowl decides the West winner and I think we could go into it 8-1.  I know that is bold and I know we have a ton of work, but I feel pretty good.

The biggest questions I had were the OFF Line, the DEF line, and the Secondary. I think the secondary answered everything I need...I think DL is going to be just fine...and the OFF line showed me enough in pass pro that even if they are not great in run game that our coaches can gameplan to our strength and we can be just fine. We need to pass to open the run this year. 

What a day!!! War DAmn Eagle. 

Who do you see as the one loss? Until today, I thought we’d lose to either UGA or LSU. Both looked terrible today against arguably the two worst teams in the SEC west.

3 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

Who do you see as the one loss? Until today, I thought we’d lose to either UGA or LSU. Both looked terrible today against arguably the two worst teams in the SEC west.

Well previously....I thought we would be 7-2 with losses to LSU and UGA, but after today I think they are beatable. I actually think after seeing UGA today that it is better for us getting UGA early. I think we slip up to one of the MISS schools....the leaches...or fighting Kiffins. 

5 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Well previously....I thought we would be 7-2 with losses to LSU and UGA, but after today I think they are beatable. I actually think after seeing UGA today that it is better for us getting UGA early. I think we slip up to one of the MISS schools....the leaches...or fighting Kiffins. 

Neither one of those teams looked impressive today either. Ole Miss looked like they had absolutely no defense. Miss State, who we have after a bye week, looked like they were playing a high school team today. They seem to be this week’s overreaction story. I get that they threw for a ton of yards, but they didn’t look great doing it. Furthermore, they netted only 9 rushing yards, and gave up over 30 points to a very bad LSU offense. 

I feel like you're WAAAY underconfident. Our offense looked light-years better, and considering we were destroyed most of the game in Time of Possession, we moved the ball well. Don't forget, we failed to convert a 4th and 1 at their 10, as well as a bad snap costing us another drive. Main concern is the running game, but if Nix keeps throwing strikes over the middle, it will open up.

UGA: 60% chance we win. If we played them today, we beat them easily. They have no offense with Mathis. Not sold on the backup either, as it IS Arkansas, but he helped turn things around. I am thinking we get them next week.

LSU: 65% chance. They have no defense or QB. Is Orgeron the new Chizik? 

Arkansas: 80% chance. They have a good QB but they aren't a good football team. 

Miss State: 50% chance. This matchup will be a problem. It usually is in Starkville. Still, we have better athletes. And by that time, we will have a bit more film on Leach. 

Tennessee: 75%. They are just way overhyped as you said.

South Carolina: 75%. About even with UT, as evidenced by tonight's game. 

Ole Miss: 75%. They will score on us, but we will out boat-race 'em.

A&M: 60%. Jimbo's heart isn't in this gig. They could fool around and beat us, but only if we have a post Iron Bowl letdown.

Alabama: 35%. They look very good. But there's a long way to go. 

1 hour ago, AUFriction said:

Neither one of those teams looked impressive today either. Ole Miss looked like they had absolutely no defense. Miss State, who we have after a bye week, looked like they were playing a high school team today. They seem to be this week’s overreaction story. I get that they threw for a ton of yards, but they didn’t look great doing it. Furthermore, they netted only 9 rushing yards, and gave up over 30 points to a very bad LSU offense. 

I am not so much basing my thoughts off of either of their performances today, but more so on the proven historical data that Gus will lose a game he shouldn't.

1 hour ago, AUght2win said:

Alabama: 35%. They look very good. But there's a long way to go. 

I'm not sure how much we can read into what Alabama did today. Mizzou has been really average the last few years and coach Drink seems like a total unknown. He did well at App St last year but it was with Scott Satterfield's players. I wouldn't be shocked if they only won two or three games this year even with Vandy and Arkansas on the schedule. 

I wouldn’t read as much into the games yesterday (including opponents).  Teams returning more starters played better because Spring wasn’t as critical.  I expect us only to get better on offense as our OL continues to gel.  DL worries me a little bit depth-wise.  I am not sure if we will face a better OL and maybe DL than we just did this season.

I have always been happy we play UGA earlier and play LSU later now.  UGA is always pretty bad at the beginning of the season, and LSU’s humidity and heat at the beginning of the season In Death Valley has always given us issues.  Flipping those was a win-win for us. 

11 hours ago, WalkingCarpet said:

I'm not sure how much we can read into what Alabama did today. Mizzou has been really average the last few years and coach Drink seems like a total unknown. He did well at App St last year but it was with Scott Satterfield's players. I wouldn't be shocked if they only won two or three games this year even with Vandy and Arkansas on the schedule. 

That may be true. But Najee, Waddle, and Dylan Moses are as talented as anybody in the country.

Leach broke the all time SEC passing record in his first appearance at LSU.  So much for all the people who said he couldn't do it against SEC defenses.  Leach is gonna be trouble for years at State. Lane Kiffin will soon wear out his welcome at Ole Miss like he has everywhere else.

14 hours ago, WalkingCarpet said:

Alabama is pretty dang good. They played well on both sides of the ball, which is what you are suppose to do with inferior opponents. Compared to a lot of these other teams, they seem to be ahead of the curve. 

First game of the season, no Spring, OL/DL veterans gone, it looked about the way we thought it would but we'll take it. You know what they say about week 1 to week 2 so really looking forward to seeing how much improvement we make. This team has a lot of potential if the OL and DL improve and looking at the schedule it's possible for us to do well.

BEAT THOSE DAWGS

31 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

honestly I think some people may like to 10 game sec schedule better and it still would give you 2 out of conference games

Yes these kids are competitors . Every game matters and I have to think they love it.

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Yes these kids are competitors . Every game matters and I have to think they love it.

Actually wouldn’t mind a 10 game conference schedule. Miss playing UF and tenn regularly 

4 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

Actually wouldn’t mind a 10 game conference schedule. Miss playing UF and tenn regularly 

UF looks like a real problem this year. I knew Dan Mullen had it in him. All he needed was the talent.

12 minutes ago, DAG said:

UF looks like a real problem this year. I knew Dan Mullen had it in him. All he needed was the talent.

Dan has done his thing for sure! Playing UF will always hold something close to me. The first game I ever remember watching (as young kid like less than 7 years old ) back in the 90s we were playing UF. Uf player had a big run down the sideline. I didn’t know any better, I said (go gators),  I got popped in the back of the head and the rest is history 😂

Arkansas - win.  Auburn recommits to trying to run the ball.  Close but still the Gus Bowl

USCe- win.  Another scrappy game that could be close.  Possibly playing Auburn’s future DC after steele retires.

Ole Miss - could be tricky.  Their defense isn’t great but their offense can put points on anyone.

LSU - win.  This could be a big boost to the season.  

Miss State - win.  I think Kevin will shut down their attack.

Tennessee - loss.  Pruitt is starting to build mini Bama 2 similar to Kirby and has had Gus’s number since 13.  Also their lines are pretty good.

Alabama - loss

TaMu - it’ll be tough coming off two physical games but I’ll say win.  

Archived