The Shivers Kickoff Return Play

twilli13

Can all these pansy asses shut up about the damn fumble? Ole Miss is gonna cry about this for the rest of the year. Just like Arkansas. In both instances, their teams didn't deserve to win the games...not saying we did, but they sure as hell didn't. Both teams would have won on lucky ass freak plays. Also, the holding call on the Tank kickoff touchdown was also questionable. If Ole Miss wanted to win, they should've stopped us that last drive and then scored. But they didn't...because they are Ole Miss. We suck, but they suck worse. So STFU Ole and Arkansas. Quit crying.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, WalkingCarpet said:

If that call went against us we would be howling about it for weeks. 

Undoutably so....but we would be hailed as crybaby pansies. However, the rest of the SEC seems to join in on the hate Auburn train when s*** like this happens. It happened with the Arkansas thing and will happen with this. Watch. 

Starting a thread for this seems extremely counter-productive.   Also, it wasn't a fumble, it was technically a muff.  There's a difference.

The officials actually got the Shivers call right. Any ball on a kickoff that goes into the end zone and is not in a player’s possession Is automatically a touchback. 

So it doesn’t matter if it hit Shivers’ pinky or not. Apparently Worm was well coached enough to know this rule which is why he stopped chasing the ball once it went into the end zone. 

It looked inconclusive to me by the camera angles they showed.  I don’t see how you could find conclusive evidence to overturn the call on the field. 

2 minutes ago, Auskip said:

The officials actually got the Shivers call right. Any ball on a kickoff that goes into the end zone and is not in a player’s possession Is automatically a touchback. 

So it doesn’t matter if it hit Shivers’ pinky or not. Apparently Worm was well coached enough to know this rule which is why he stopped chasing the ball once it went into the end zone. 

I've been wondering about that but idk for sure what the rule is.

4 minutes ago, Auskip said:

^can someone smart verify this rule?

7 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

Well @WarTiger is a ref and he said it was a muff, so it’s a muff and Shivers should have fallen on it. But there is ZERO possibility for the ref to see that in the run of play. It’s like those CBB replays where a guy knocks it away from someone and it grazes a finger going out of bounds and in 100% of cases before replay enter, it would go to the team who’s finger barely grazed the ball going out. 

13 minutes ago, WarTiger said:

Starting a thread for this seems extremely counter-productive.   Also, it wasn't a fumble, it was technically a muff.  There's a difference.

Muff or fumble, it was touched by Shivers pinky (which, by anatomical inference IS Shivers, also) and recovered in the end zone by OM. Missed call. End of story.

BTW, don’t worry, it won’t be on the review show along with any other Ole Miss positive plays.

1 minute ago, jared52 said:

Well @WarTiger is a ref and he said it was a muff, so it’s a muff and Shivers should have fallen on it. But there is ZERO possibility for the ref to see that in the run of play. It’s like those CBB replays where a guy knocks it away from someone and it grazes a finger going out of bounds and in 100% of cases before replay enter, it would go to the team who’s finger barely grazed the ball going out. 

They reviewed it in the replay booth and still got it wrong.

14 minutes ago, Auskip said:

I looked this up in the official NCAA rulebook on their site.

Ball Dead in End Zone
ARTICLE 7. a. When a free kick untouched by Team B touches the ground 
on or behind Team B’s goal line, the ball becomes dead and belongs to Team B.
b. If the result of the free kick is a touchback (Rule 8-6) for Team B, they will 
put the ball in play at their 25-yard line.

Emphasis mine, if the ball is touched by the receiving team it is a live ball regardless where it comes to rest. 

12 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

I was asking that at the time it happened, but once you touch it, I *think* it’s still live and has to be covered in the end zone. Untouched, of course, and it would be dead once it crosses into the end zone. 

20 minutes ago, around4ever said:

It looked inconclusive to me by the camera angles they showed.  I don’t see how you could find conclusive evidence to overturn the call on the field. 

That’s only because it wasn’t an Ole Miss pinky, no?

36 minutes ago, WarTiger said:

Lol....because message boards are the model for productivity in life huh? And man, gosh, I'm so lucky have you to come in and correct me on it technically being a muff. Thanks so much for that clarity. 

Regardless of Jordan Rogers crying I don't believe anyone could be 100% certain if he touched it. Maybe he moved his fingers a little to avoid touching when it took a funny hop. If you could tell the the ball movement was changed maybe a reversal would be in order.

Shows up better in motion, but this pretty much proves it was touched. All the fingers except the pinky remain in the same position. I wasn’t fast enough to capture a screenshot immediately after the contact was made, but the pinky snapped back to its original position after the ball passed by. The pinky finger doesn’t naturally spring away from the ring finger, and snap back involuntarily. And I don’t think Shivers was practicing his Chism-bop math during the return.

He touched it. Embrace it. Admit it. Own it, Auburn folk. 

4941359F-4363-4FD0-A8C8-2C736A30CAB8.jpeg

74C6A5FF-FDCD-4219-92FB-A9D4857ACA45.jpeg

Archived