So we lose a top tier TB.

Old fan 47

3 hours ago, tbone1430 said:

Maybe he got told that Gustav’s time was up and wants to find greener pastures or wait and see who the new coach is. 

Maybe he sees two freshman who are better than he is and has decided to try some place that's hurting for RB's.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Maybe he sees two freshman who are better than he is and has decided to try some place that's hurting for RB's.

He may but he doesn't see two freshmen on this team that's better than him

2 hours ago, AUDevil said:

Is this the worst week ever in Auburn history?

BBall self imposes a post season ban

NCAA does not grant Cooper eligibility

Got waxed by Gonzaga

Laid an egg vs UCF

Football team lays an egg vs bama

Top running back recruit jumps ship

Geez I didn't think of all of that at once....

2 hours ago, AUDevil said:

Got waxed by Gonzaga

Laid an egg vs UCF

I feel like that sentiment has bubbled up a couple times this season, but this is probably about as bad as it'll get. Hell it's probably been one of the worst 12 months for Auburn athletics when you factor in not even getting a chance to avenge the Final Four run, Cameron Newton having his back against the wall and obviously some of the fatalities that occurred. 

Im a believer that the pendulum has to swing the other way eventually, but it's taking its sweet time

14 hours ago, AUDevil said:

Got waxed by Gonzaga

Laid an egg vs UCF

What I felt like you just did as I was reading this all laid out in front of me.

giphy.gif

10 minutes ago, TigerFanAU said:

That speaks volumes. Sounds like all support has been cut from Gus.

If you're referencing external program help, that happened a couple years ago.

11 hours ago, cole256 said:

He may but he doesn't see two freshmen on this team that's better than him

I'd think he see's a team struggling to be competitive against the SEC's cellar dweller's (USCe/Arky/OM) while also getting man handled on national TV vs some of their biggest rivals (uga/uat) along with a HC in this 8th year that has consistently resided on the hot seat.  

I could be wrong, but as an alumnus with 2 kids currently attending AU I wouldn't encourage my 5* son to play here under this staff.

1 minute ago, keesler said:

I'd think he see's a team struggling to be competitive against the SEC's cellar dweller's (USCe/Arky/OM) while also getting man handled on national TV vs some of their biggest rivals (uga/uat) along with a HC in this 8th year that has consistently resided on the hot seat.  

I could be wrong, but as an alumnus with 2 kids currently attending AU I wouldn't encourage my 5* son to play here under this staff.

Not on offense. No way. Now, Steele and his staff have been doing a fine job of getting guys to the next level, and in the high rounds. This year feels like a step back but the draft will tell the tale. 

As for Goodwin, exactly. He sees what we all see. Except for one guy, I guess, lol. That's just a silly goose being a silly goose. I mean, when Goodwin committed, he thought he was going to have *more* competition than what our RBs outside of Tank and Worm have shown this year. 

RBs these days aren't scared to be 1A and 1B in their own signing class, much less be worried about guys ahead of them. Crazy that anyone who spends that much time talking about football and recruiting still can't grasp this. 

Maybe he's the second coming of Emmitt Smith, but right now I can't get excited about losing 5'-8" RB. other than the optics of losing a 4 star recruit.   

Shaun Shivers is a nice change of pace back but he was swallowed whole on a few carries last week.  

Tank is 100% legit RB1 quality but outside of him, the rest of the RB room is average by SEC standards.    Nothing a true blue-chip prospect will shy away from so I don't think that's the issue.   My guess is that he signs with a school with as much or more competition at RB.    It's OL recruiting and very uneven QB play specifically, and an image of  malaise about the program in general that are scaring these kids away.    Once that sets in , it's pretty much DONE for the coaching regime and a change is all but inevitable.   It's just a matter of if the PTB can muster what it takes to do it this year or kick the can down the road another year.     There are reasonble arguments that next year MIGHT be marginally better than this year but the upside is going to be limited once recruiting starts to slide. 

1 hour ago, 1auburn1 said:

Tank is 100% legit RB1 quality but outside of him, the rest of the RB room is average by SEC standards.    Nothing a true blue-chip prospect will shy away from so I don't think that's the issue.   My guess is that he signs with a school with as much or more competition at RB.    It's OL recruiting and very uneven QB play specifically, and an image of  malaise about the program in general that are scaring these kids away.    Once that sets in , it's pretty much DONE for the coaching regime and a change is all but inevitable.   It's just a matter of if the PTB can muster what it takes to do it this year or kick the can down the road another year.     There are reasonble arguments that next year MIGHT be marginally better than this year but the upside is going to be limited once recruiting starts to slide. 

Nailed it!

This is a sad but true statement on the current status of this program.  Friends of the program (supporters/boosters?) are no longer helping AU on the recruiting trail and it's reflected in the current rankings.  Once apathy sets in with the major supporters and they begin to feel like a lot of the regular AU fans and they've gotten tired of seeing the same old song & dance with this staff, things will take a downhill dive. 

Recruiting is the life blood of any program and AU needs it more than most because of the deficiencies in development and scheming with this coaching staff.

18 hours ago, PigskinPat said:

Rivals now has us at #47. Know who’s at #3? Oregon....

tenor-4.gif

First of all, did we all just forget about being worried about LSU pushing hard for Harvey? It wasn't that long ago.

We all know LSU has no qualms about making strong @$$ offers to top ranked recruits. If I were Ahmari I'd be losing sleep too...

Does it suck? Yes. But what are we gonna do about? Unless you've got some incriminating photos of Mark Emmett lying around somewhere, I doubt anything.

Not sure why anyone is surprised lol. We've been talking about this mess for 4 years. 

3 hours ago, keesler said:

ESPECIALLY if he was a 5* QB.

17 hours ago, AUDevil said:

Based on Anthony Schwartz’s tweet you may be right.  He tweeted a picture of dominos falling.

I mean at some point some grown up in the room has to say” look guys we screwed the pooch here. We just need to accept the fact that we got taken by His and his agent. Hell Arky was never going to give Gus 49 million to start with. Let’s just pay the fiddle and fix the problem . Fire Gus now or be playing behind USC East  and Vandy in getting a new coach.” 🤔

Remember as well probably one key cog that was still holding Gus in his job was AG and company afraid that losing him would result in a temporary loss in recruiting. If we see that happen anyway then the need to keep the mistake called Gus becomes less and less. Just saying. 

21 hours ago, Old fan 47 said:

Well Armoni G has pulled his commitment. This is just the beginning. Not really shocked at anything having to do with AU anymore. 

Doesn't mean he's lost. Good chance he still winds up at AU. Besides, you can't lose what you never had. They aren't AU players until they sign on the dotted line. (And really, doesn't this topic belong in the recruiting forum?)

1 hour ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Remember as well probably one key cog that was still holding Gus in his job was AG and company afraid that losing him would result in a temporary loss in recruiting. If we see that happen anyway then the need to keep the mistake called Gus becomes less and less. Just saying. 

Gus has leveraged the health and safety of the recruiting class many times to save his butt and to get raises since he's been here.  I have no doubt that he will try that tactic again with Greene very soon.  

2 minutes ago, CleCoTiger said:

Doesn't mean he's lost. Good chance he still winds up at AU. Besides, you can't lose what you never had. They aren't AU players until they sign on the dotted line. (And really, doesn't this topic belong in the recruiting forum?)

You're right Cle.  This #37 or #47 ranked recruiting class really isn't a #37 or #47 class until they all sign on the dotted line.  There's always a possibility that Auburn could just a well end up with a top 5 class before final signing day.  🌈🎄🕎

18 minutes ago, CleCoTiger said:

No there isn't a good chance 

Listening to The Drive this afternoon and I just heard a caller lay it on the line and tell it like it is. If you listen to the podcast, its at the 90 minute mark in the show. Dude was passionate, but he brought out some points that can't be denied, and one of the most troubling was that Ole Miss, Ark, MSU and Missouri are about to pass us in relevance in the SEC. The call lasted almost 15 minutes and he made so many good points about what is happening to the football program that even a Gus lover couldn't refute what he spelled out

2 hours ago, keesler said:

You're right Cle.  This #37 or #47 ranked recruiting class really isn't a #37 or #47 class until they all sign on the dotted line.  There's always a possibility that Auburn could just a well end up with a top 5 class before final signing day.  🌈🎄🕎

I would willing to take a bet they won’t even break the top 10 this year. If the odds were good I would make it not break the top 20 in fact. 

Archived