Notebook:

toddc

14 hours ago, Maverick.AU said:

for the first time in years it feels like the players are having fun and really starting to buy into a culture.

Did Gus even have a culture? I couldn't describe it if he did.

• Like 1

The players were having fun with Gus...it was mostly the fans who weren't having fun....

• Like 1

13 hours ago, tigerman1186 said:

The players were having fun with Gus...it was mostly the fans who weren't having fun....

If they were having fun losing 4 or more games every year, we recruited the wrong type of players.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, tigerman1186 said:

Harsin made a good comment after he was hired that being great was a sacrifice but the “fun” was everything that came with that and the journey. The previous bunch was fine with having fun and being average, and that was the problem.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

Football 3/29/2021 4:12:00 PM By: Jeff Shearer

Anders' encore: Carlson returns for senior season to 'prove myself again'

Iron sharpens iron and Carlson sharpens Carlson. The sibling rivalry between Anders and Daniel helps both excel while giving Auburn an eight-season run of placekicking excellence.

Anders Carlson kicks during Auburn's 2021 spring practice

Story Links

AUBURN, Ala. – With all the football and academic success he's achieved on the Plains, Anders Carlson could have entered the 2021 NFL Draft and joined his older brother in the pros.

"I gave it a little bit of thought after the bowl game," said Carlson, who graduated summa cum laude in professional flight on Dec. 12, 2020, the same day he kicked a field goal in Auburn's 24-10 win at Mississippi State.

With NFL revenues reduced by attendance restrictions, Carlson concluded that waiting until 2022 made the most economic sense. Additionally, he asked himself, why be in a hurry to depart a place he thoroughly enjoys?

"Looked at the landscape," Carlson said. "I think the pandemic is a big effect to the NFL right now.

"In my personal decision, it was pretty easy. I love Auburn. I had to come back for my fourth year of playing for sure. I wanted to prove myself one more year."

Nov 21, 2020; Auburn AL, USA; Anders Carlson (26) during the game between Auburn and Tennesee at Jordan Hare Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Shanna Lockwood/AU Athletics

Anders' decision to return assures Auburn of an eight-season run of Carlson placekicking excellence. From 2014-17, Daniel Carlson became the SEC's all-time scoring leader with 480 points, giving his younger brother a challenging target for which to aim, something Anders attempted literally during Auburn's open practice at Jordan-Hare Stadium on March 20.

"I told my long snapper to put the ball 18 yards, right hash," said Anders, describing a moment Auburn fans shared widely on social media. "I kicked one and when I looked up at my target as I was finishing, I saw Daniel up there and it was about two yards short.

"It wasn't a perfect ball either, so I said, 'Let's get one more, same spot,' and that's the one I hit to him. I think I commented on Instagram that I was testing his hands, because we know I'm the better athlete so we had to see what he had that day."
Daniel, however, holds the ultimate ace, a touchdown run on a perfectly executed fake field goal vs. Arkansas State in 2016.

"[Holder Tyler] Stovall set him up pretty well, though," said Anders, conceding nothing while pointing out his own versatility vis-à-vis a 3-yard reception in the 2018 Iron Bowl. "It wasn't really him. He just caught it and ran. I've caught a pass in my career." 

Daniel Carlson (38) runs for a touchdown. Auburn football vs Arkansas State on Saturday, Sept. 10, 2016 in Auburn, Ala.

Sibling rivalry aside, the Brothers Carlson benefit from their bond, whether they're spending time away from football or practicing together before Daniel returns for his fourth NFL season with the Las Vegas Raiders.

"It's that awesome brother connection we've got," Anders said. "After the bowl game and after his season, it was really just hanging out and growing together again, getting close. Playing some tennis every once in a while."

Iron sharpens iron and Carlson sharpens Carlson. In 2020, the kicking buddies and practice partners combined to convert a staggering 92.9 percent of their field goal attempts, with Anders hitting 20 of 22 for Auburn and Daniel drilling 33 of 35 for the Raiders.

"Talking through some mindset things," Anders said. "Passing along books to read. It's like a built-in best friend who you can always go to for advice, for kicking. It's been helpful a lot. We get competitive when we're kicking but it's all in good fun. I think it really helps push us to the limits."

Anders earned All-America honors last season. His 90.9 field goal percentage bested Daniel's top season at Auburn, a valuable evidentiary example in their ongoing battle for bragging rights.

"I was proud of the season I had last year," Anders said. "I had some goals and I was right there where I wanted to be. One or two kicks the other way and I think I could have been the top guy in the nation.

"For me, it's not really about last year. I'm going to carry the positives and confidence into this year and really seek after that goal again. I've got to prove myself again."

Game-winner: Anders Carlson celebrates his field goal in Auburn's 30-28 victory vs. Arkansas in 2020

Jeff Shearer is a Senior Writer at AuburnTigers.com. Follow him on Twitter: @jeff_shearer

Edited by toddc
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Maverick.AU said:

Harsin made a good comment after he was hired that being great was a sacrifice but the “fun” was everything that came with that and the journey. The previous bunch was fine with having fun and being average, and that was the problem.

I often said this was our problem with the O-line.

15 hours ago, Maverick.AU said:

Exactly. Like dancing around when they came close to being .500. It all starts with the head coach.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, auburnphan said:

2 hours ago, auburnphan said:

On 3/29/2021 at 11:40 AM, oracle79 said:

If they were having fun losing 4 or more games every year, we recruited the wrong type of players.

I was supportive of moving on from Malzahn,  but to propose that he, the other coaches, and players were somehow acceptable of anything but winning each game just doesn’t represent the truth at all.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hank2020 said:

I was supportive of moving on from Malzahn,  but to propose that he, the other coaches, and players were somehow acceptable of anything but winning each game just doesn’t represent the truth at all.

Well when you are rationalizing 6 wins as solid, it is hard to give someone the benefit of a doubt 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hank2020 said:

On the one hand, I agree with you.

On the other hand, he never did anything to fix it. 

2 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

My point was that when we recruited offensive lineman we were not recruiting guys who wanted to be great at their position, but just guys who enjoyed playing the game.  The work it takes to be an NFL lineman is not for everyone and identifying it in a teenager is hard and isn't always there until later.  It also becomes an identity within the group.  We did not have it at Auburn for quite some time.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

My point was that when we recruited offensive lineman we were not recruiting guys who wanted to be great at their position, but just guys who enjoyed playing the game.  The work it takes to be an NFL lineman is not for everyone and identifying it in a teenager is hard and isn't always there until later.  It also becomes an identity within the group.  We did not have it at Auburn for quite some time.

That seems like a different statement than “ The previous bunch was fine with having fun and being average, and that was the problem.” They may not wind up being NFL caliber players and may never play past College. Many do not.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Well when you are rationalizing 6 wins as solid, it is hard to give someone the benefit of a doubt 

That was just coach speak, even if it was a poor comment. Behind the scenes, he always seemed to be just as intense and wanting to win as any coach. 

I don't think for a moment that Malzahn and staff were happy and acceptable of 4+ losses. Coaches don't become even close to successful if they do...HE just couldn't find the answer to the rut he put his program in, along w/ some stubborness in his personality regarding his offense helped cause it for sure.

A coach who wants to keep his job, even if he consistently can't win 9+ in this highly competitive league, will say stuff, and be defensive from what reality is when his job is in jeopardy.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, steeleagle said:

That was just coach speak, even if it was a poor comment. Behind the scenes, he always seemed to be just as intense and wanting to win as any coach. 

I don't think for a moment that Malzahn and staff were happy and acceptable of 4+ losses. Coaches don't become even close to successful if they do...HE just couldn't find the answer to the rut he put his program in, along w/ some stubborness in his personality regarding his offense helped cause it for sure.

A coach who wants to keep his job, even if he consistently can't win 9+ in this highly competitive league, will say stuff, and be defensive from what reality is when his job is in jeopardy.

If he really wasn't okay with some of this stuff; then why was he so obsessed with being in control to the detriment of his own job? If you care about winning as much as you claim he did, wouldn’t you have want to put your pride to the side and learn how to adapt? Change up your philosophy. If you are that stubborn, you are not in the business of winning. You are definitely in the business of doing things your way , whether you fail or not. 

If somebody loves their job that much , wouldn’t they do whatever it took to keep it? To call something like that coach speak when you know your ass is on the line is just plain stupid, man. It is idiotic . Honestly, to try to rationalize some of the actions of this individual makes smart people look foolish. It’s no different than when fans try to be apologetic for the foolish actions of Publix figures.

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

7 minutes ago, DAG said:

If he really wasn't okay with some of this stuff; then why was he so obsessed with being in control to the detriment of his own job? If you care about winning as much as you claim he did, wouldn’t you have want to put your pride to the side and learn how to adapt? Change up your philosophy. If you are that stubborn, you are not in the business of winning. You are definitely in the business of doing things your way , whether you fail or not. 

If somebody loves their job that much , wouldn’t they do whatever it took to keep it? To call something like that coach speak when you know your ass is on the line is just plain stupid, man. It is idiotic . Honestly, to try to rationalize some of the actions of this individual makes smart people look foolish. It’s no different than when fans try to be apologetic for the foolish actions of Publix figures.

When you HAVE A philosophy, and remember he brought his philosophy he created from the HS ranks into college, wrote a book on it, was successful, but unfortunately his offensive architect got stuck in the SEC, where coaches and the NCAA found ways to defend his philosophy, with better defense, and rule changes. 

And Malzahn had only one philosophy IMO, and to change to another type of offense, meant he had to scrap his offensive philosophy, and he didn't want to or was not comfortable in doing it. He felt he could tweak it, and make it work again.

It was like Dye back in the 80's. He was not an offensive guy, but he liked the wishbone bc he liked power run football. But as teams adjusted and figured the wishbone out, Dye realized he needed to change that philosophy, so he went to a more pro offense. But it was never HIS philosophy so it was much easier for him to find the right coach, because his forte was defense never offense.

4 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

When you HAVE A philosophy, and remember he brought his philosophy he created from the HS ranks into college, wrote a book on it, was successful, but unfortunately his offensive architect got stuck in the SEC, where coaches and the NCAA found ways to defend his philosophy, with better defense, and rule changes. 

And Malzahn had only one philosophy IMO, and to change to another type of offense, meant he had to scrap his offensive philosophy, and he didn't want to or was not comfortable in doing it. He felt he could tweak it, and make it work again.

It was like Dye back in the 80's. He was not an offensive guy, but he liked the wishbone bc he liked power run football. But as teams adjusted and figured the wishbone out, Dye realized he needed to change that philosophy, so he went to a more pro offense. But it was never HIS philosophy so it was much easier for him to find the right coach, because his forte was defense never offense.

Okay I hear all that but you never responded to my content . You are again try to explain why Gus refused to adapt . So I am going to ask again. If he cared so much about winning and his job, why would he not even try to bring someone with more experience to learn from ? Heck why would we not even seek out advice? Based on what I’ve read and heard from articles and insiders, he refused to do any of that. The greats are always learning and growing and taking from others. 

Sounds like he cares more about winning HIS WAY. I don’t consider that to be on equal footing. 

Edited by DAG

Why did 8 wins became the norm and 6 wins were thought of as "solid"? A statement by one of the team leaders 1 or 2 days after Gus was fired revealed a lot about the culture. He said, "There is more to a football team than winning and losing football games. Gus cares about us." I was surprised to be honest. The coaches had allowed a type of culture to develop with the players where the "caring coach" was MORE important than winning. It's not.

Not if you want to be an upper tier program. Sure, Gus is a decent guy and all. But there are a lot of caring coaches out there and some of them win 10 games a year. The players need to understand that this is a business and the business is winning. Some players don't even care if the coach "cares" about them. They just want to win while they are there and get the coaching to get better themselves.

Edited by IronMan70
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

When guys are all smiles and joking around after losing to sub par teams/dancing on the bench while trailing multiple scores in a bowl game. That’s gives off a major major impression that you are ok with being average, and losing. Much like a portion of our fanbase. That mentality starts with the HC.

There’s a major difference in hating to lose and doing everything you can to get better and “ aw shucks, we’ll get em the next time”. That is exactly the energy that Gus led teams gave off

Edited by Maverick.AU
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, steeleagle said:

HE just couldn't find the answer to the rut he put his program in, along w/ some stubborness in his personality regarding his offense helped cause it for sure.

16 hours ago, DAG said:

If he really wasn't okay with some of this stuff; then why was he so obsessed with being in control to the detriment of his own job? If you care about winning as much as you claim he did, wouldn’t you have want to put your pride to the side and learn how to adapt?

I see a lot to agree with in what both of you are saying. But the two quotes above kinda seem like two sides of the same coin. Actually, they're almost saying the same thing. 

He couldn't find the answer because he didn't try to find the answer. So, to DAG's point, what was it that he really cared about? 

I'm sure it made him mad when he lost, but it didn't make him mad enough to change. Hard not to call that complacency. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I see a lot to agree with in what both of you are saying. But the two quotes above kinda seem like two sides of the same coin. Actually, they're almost saying the same thing. 

He couldn't find the answer because he didn't try to find the answer. So, to DAG's point, what was it that he really cared about? 

I'm sure it made him mad when he lost, but it didn't make him mad enough to change. Hard not to call that complacency. 

Sorry, I believe that a coach who makes 7mil a year, is under pressure enough to NOT be complacent. I think that is just stubbornness. He had built roots in Auburn and knew if he didn't improve he would be gone. Maybe he thought he had top level support to work it out, but he kept having average results.

And the players laughing and scratching at a bowl game that had nothing to do with winning any kind of championship, doesn't reflect to me how they worked hard during the off season and during the regular season.

while I think it's easy now to bring those moments in to support 'complacency', I believe Gus was just too stubborn from his base offensive knowledge base to make it work and too uncomfortable to make drastic changes. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, steeleagle said:

He had built roots in Auburn and knew if he didn't improve he would be gone.

That's a good point about his roots. 

And the players laughing and scratching at a bowl game

I don't really read too much into that stuff, or even think about it. 

For me it's all about what he did to evolve and get better, which was very little. It's certainly up for debate as to whether that indicates any comfort with losing. I have my thoughts, but I'm certainly not qualified to defend them in a debate.

This is one of those moments where I'm just glad we're not saying these things about our current coach anymore. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, DAG said:

Simply put. He believed in his way. A lot of coaches are stubborn and stand by their philosophy, systems, etc. I have no problem with it personally, just be prepared for what happens when your philosophy and systems get you canned. He stood by it and it cost him one of the best jobs in the country, albeit he walked away with a nice check. I am sure Gus will look back on his Auburn career and ponder what could have been if I would have done this or that. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Sorry, I believe that a coach who makes 7mil a year, is under pressure enough to NOT be complacent. I think that is just stubbornness. He had built roots in Auburn and knew if he didn't improve he would be gone. Maybe he thought he had top level support to work it out, but he kept having average results.

And the players laughing and scratching at a bowl game that had nothing to do with winning any kind of championship, doesn't reflect to me how they worked hard during the off season and during the regular season.

while I think it's easy now to bring those moments in to support 'complacency', I believe Gus was just too stubborn from his base offensive knowledge base to make it work and too uncomfortable to make drastic changes. 

Exactly.