Nip Watch 2021 !!!

WarTim

Cut my yard early this morning in Amory MS. Actually was a bit cool at 7 AM up until about 8:30. Can't wait for cooler temps. I'm not a Summer loving person.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The HIGH in west ga today was 81

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

@toddcDON'T OPEN THIS THREAD

I don’t do the nip thread. Someone started it last year at the wrong time and kinda screwed it up. Summer will be back soon so it’s way too early anyway. Not sure why you tagged me anyway.

Edited by toddc
  • Facepalm 2

33 minutes ago, toddc said:

I don’t do the nip thread. Someone started it last year at the wrong time and kinda screwed it up. Summer will be back soon so it’s way too early anyway. Not sure why you tagged me anyway.

You're lots of fun.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

You're lots of fun.

What are you talking about? I must’ve missed something. I thought you were talking about the nip pic that is teased when it gets close. That’s what I meant that I don’t put that up. Otherwise I’m lost.

Edited by toddc

Local high school had the football team on the practice field, and the band in the lot behind them.  Ah, football is close. 

• Like 3

Dropped my daughter off for freshman orientation at the high school.  The band practicing was the first thing I noticed.   The nip for me.  

• Like 3

With all the new articles about fall camp, this got pushed to the 5th page! Another reason the nip is near lol.  But I have another sign ...

20210809_170512.jpg

20210809_170522.jpg

• Love 2

22 hours ago, AUBwins said:

With all the new articles about fall camp, this got pushed to the 5th page! Another reason the nip is near lol.  But I have another sign ...

20210809_170512.jpg

20210809_170522.jpg

My tulip populars have been dropping leaves for weeks - mainly from the heat. ;D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, homersapien said:

My tulip populars have been dropping leaves for weeks - mainly from the heat. ;D

I have 2 large tulip poplars too, and they do the same. Looks like fall, even in summer. The heat I guess...

4 hours ago, homersapien said:

Yes, very dry and hot for about a week did them in.  Can't wait to see the leaves turn across the Bluegrass come end of September. Actually have a trip planned for PigForg in October if the stupid virus lets up.

• Like 1

I love dogwoods. Not only are they great-looking trees (is there anything more glorious than a patch of dogwoods in full bloom in Spring?), but they remind me of the South. I grew up with one one outside my grandparent's house, and outside my parent's house, and now...outside my own house, a patch of my own.

We lost one this time last year. It just up and died, so I'm in this hyper-vigilant state with them. I glanced out my window a couple evenings ago and noticed some brown leaves, and some others that were orange. I raced outside to look. As I stood there, making small talk with the neighbor (yes, mom-n-em' are doing good. Yes, the dogs are getting along. Sure has been hot!), a glint of color caught my eye to my right. Dogwood trees, down the street, tips of the branches becoming fireworks of red and yellow. To my left? more trees, dogwoods in deep ochre. Not dying, after all - just the first signs of the leaves starting to change.

Right as I glanced around, a breeze kicked up. Cooler. A little drier than it has been. That first little whisper that in other years would carry the sounds of a practicing marching band. It may have been quiet, but it touched my cheek and then was gone.

As I said my goodbyes to my neighbor and walked back inside the house, I paused at the dogwood nearest the driveway and ran my hands through the leaves just starting to show bits of burgundy. Is it Fall yet? no, not quite.

But it's close.

Edited by Auctoritas
  • Like 1
  • Love 5

10 hours ago, Auctoritas said:

I love dogwoods. Not only are they great-looking trees (is there anything more glorious than a patch of dogwoods in full bloom in Spring?), but they remind me of the South. I grew up with one one outside my grandparent's house, and outside my parent's house, and now...outside my own house, a patch of my own.

We lost one this time last year. It just up and died, so I'm in this hyper-vigilant state with them. I glanced out my window a couple evenings ago and noticed some brown leaves, and some others that were orange. I raced outside to look. As I stood there, making small talk with the neighbor (yes, mom-n-em' are doing good. Yes, the dogs are getting along. Sure has been hot!), a glint of color caught my eye to my right. Dogwood trees, down the street, tips of the branches becoming fireworks of red and yellow. To my left? more trees, dogwoods in deep ochre. Not dying, after all - just the first signs of the leaves starting to change.

Right as I glanced around, a breeze kicked up. Cooler. A little drier than it has been. That first little whisper that in other years would carry the sounds of a practicing marching band. It may have been quiet, but it touched my cheek and then was gone.

As I said my goodbyes to my neighbor and walked back inside the house, I paused at the dogwood nearest the driveway and ran my hands through the leaves just starting to show bits of burgundy. Is it Fall yet? no, not quite.

But it's close.

We absolutely need a picture to go along with this poetry!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Auctoritas said:

But it's close.

Beautiful description and writing.

• Like 2