2023 softball recruiting

• 2 weeks later...

Wondering which pitcher was Dean’s first call at midnight. There are a few highly ranked ones who everyone will be fighting over, but it seems the 2024 class is deeper and more talented than the 2022 and 2023 classes from a pitching perspective.

We probably need two pitchers in the class because Penta and Lowe will graduate three months earlier, leaving Widra, Tresvik, Rolfe, Tamborra, and Clemmons as players who can pitch.

Edited by Jad0003
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, blakem said:

She got her visit in fast.

An Arkansas fan explained the softball recruiting process really well on Discord. To paraphrase, most of these young women are going to college camps long before September 1st of their junior year, so they have an idea of which schools they are interested in and which ones will offer scholarships. 

Heavener had interest from every major program, but she has been an LSU lean for a while. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

First commit of the 2024 class is Jolie Adams. Ranked #11 by EIS but seems to be higher on Softball America (Again, these rankings mean nothing these days). She has been coming to camps at Auburn for a long time.

I’ve seen a few other visitors on Instagram and Twitter but no other commitments.

832DCDD0-61E3-4224-A199-38B451974A0C.jpeg

Edited by Jad0003
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

EIS is posting their rankings for the 2023 class now. It seems they have reduced the number of people ranked due to recent criticism, but it is still not a true “Top 100” ranking.

Kyla dropped a good bit in the rankings, but the commentary on her is positive, specifically her hitting ability. DB67DB7C-4B2C-4C02-8F76-F7721E15990A.jpeg

• Thanks 3

A word of caution: Be careful placing too much credence into these write-ups.  They are mostly submitted by parents.  However, the rankings are done by EIS, so those are helpful benchmarks..

2 hours ago, RedDirtFan said:

A word of caution: Be careful placing too much credence into these write-ups.  They are mostly submitted by parents.  However, the rankings are done by EIS, so those are helpful benchmarks..

Yes - I didn’t mention this time around, but it is very important to remember. Club, high school, and, to your point, even parents can submit nominations, and I think club coaches make recommendations on ranking. Coaches can use as a tool to promote their teams, attract better players, and highlight uncommitted players. 

• Like 1

Happy to help!

To be honest, I’m not really sure what to make of the 2023 and 2024 classes. As I said above, the rankings have lost a lot of credibility over the years due to the number of players included and the sources of information. 

With that being said, a number of our players were ranked in the “Top 20” of their classes - Penta, Lowe, Bryant, Lisenby, Peralta, Blaine, Ellis, Widra, Rolfe, and Elkins. Every other player on the roster was ranked in “Top 150” except Packer and Tresvik. I think our coaches do a good job of evaluating talent and finding under the radar players, but I’d love to see more “Top 10” players to compete with the the softball powerhouses who are signing multiple “Top 10” players. 

Edited by Jad0003
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Jad0003 said:

Happy to help!

To be honest, I’m not really sure what to make of the 2023 and 2024 classes. As I said above, the rankings have lost a lot of credibility over the years due to the number of players included and the sources of information. 

With that being said, most of our starters were ranked in the “Top 20” of their classes - Penta, Lowe, Bryant, Lisenby, Peralta, Blaine, Ellis, and now, Widra. Every other player on the roster was ranked in “Top 150” except Packer and Tresvik. I think our coaches do a good job of evaluating talent and finding under the radar players, but I’d love to see more “Top 10” players to compete with the the softball powerhouses who are signing multiple “Top 10” players. 

Yeah it seems like Florida is cleaning house in top talent in the 23-24 classes.

Extra Inning Softball 2023 Top 50 Signing Classes...

University
Class Rankings
Florida 1
Oklahoma 2
Florida State 3
Texas 4
LSU 5
Michigan 6
Washington 7
UCLA 8
Arizona 9
Mississippi State 10
Kentucky 11
Virginia Tech 12
Oregon 13
Missouri 14
Tennessee 15
Central Florida 16
Ohio State 17
Nebraska 18
North Carolina 19
Clemson 20
Oklahoma State 21
Virginia 22
Purdue 23
Texas A&M 24
Auburn 25
Boston College 26
Alabama 27
Northwestern 28
Pitt 29
Georgia Tech 30
Stanford 31
Arkansas 32
Arizona State 33
Georgia 34
Alabama-Birmingham 35
Penn State 36
Texas Tech 37
South Carolina 38
Central Michigan 39
Jacksonville State 40
James Madison 41
South Florida 42
San Diego 43
Oregon State 44
Utah 45
Minnesota 46
Cal – Berkeley 47
Liberty 48
Illinois 49
Louisville 50
Schools “On the Bubble” of the Top 50
  • Iowa
  • Syracuse
  • East Carolina
  • Sam Houston State
  • Samford
  • UNLV
  • Eastern Kentucky
  • Loyola Marymount
  • Maryland
  • Abilene Christian
  • Houston
  • North Carolina State
  • Princeton
  • McNeese State
  • Kansas

6 hours ago, blakem said:

Yeah it seems like Florida is cleaning house in top talent in the 23-24 classes.

Florida is recruiting exceptionally well in the 2023 and 2024 classes. Oklahoma, UCLA, FSU, Georgia, Tennessee, and LSU are also recruiting very well in these classes.

One thing to consider is the last classes affected by COVID will graduate after the 2024 season, so a lot of teams are going HARD in the 2024 recruiting class to replenish their rosters for the 2025 season. On the flip side, we graduate Lowe, Penta, Bryant, Packer, Cox, and McCrary after the 2024 season, but assuming no transfers, we will have 10 seniors, 4 juniors, 6 sophomores, and (as of now) 2 freshman on the roster for the 2025 season. Dean will need a large incoming class after the 2025 season, whether through the portal or recruiting. 

Edited by Jad0003
  • Like 1

Am I correct in thinking that the 2023 class has now signed?  Last year's news release for this event was on 11/10, but haven't seen one yet this year.  the 2023 class includes Martin, Clemons, Penta, Stroud, and Tamborra?  My old brain needs a lot of reminders.

I haven't seen the comprehensive report, but the official page has announced 3 on twitter.  I don't think it's over...Some HS schedules can vary on when they have the ceremony for all Spring sports.  I searched the Tamborra and Martin as well, couldn't find Martin on Social Media, but shared Tamborra's personal announcements below as well:

• Thanks 1