Jabari

cole256

No doubt, Cole. He's something different for sure. 

• Like 1

A lot of guys come in with hype but he's one who is a legit generational talent and is worth the price of admission. As you said, if he continues to work on his handles he is KD special. I said it watching the game the other night that this kid is closest thing to KD I've seen since he was in college. Lean, tall, and can shoot...plus his defense is way ALSO an asset. Kid doesn't take a play off. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, GTNupe11 said:

A lot of guys come in with hype but he's one who is a legit generational talent and is worth the price of admission. As you said, if he continues to work on his handles he is KD special. I said it watching the game the other night that this kid is closest thing to KD I've seen since he was in college. Lean, tall, and can shoot...plus his defense is way ALSO an asset. Kid doesn't take a play off. 

I also thought Michael Porter had a chance but I knew his back issues would be a problem. Porter plays a little calm though. He don't get that fire or killer in him. I see it in jabari though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cole256 said:

I've been holding back waiting......I didn't want to jump the gun. But seriously his skill set......he has KD potential. I'm not saying he is or even will be but he's the closest thing to Kevin Durant in a while. His game, he'll be better in the pros than he is now. 

If his handle continues to improve....I'm telling you this is something very special here. Please don't hold future guys and compare them to this guy. This is a unicorn. We were lucky to have him. 

Oh yea as I mentioned in a game thread.  Has the look and skillset of a KD with an intensity and moxy of a Jordan. Agreed he's his own guy but those are who come to mind when I see him. His mid range is so good already. 

1 hour ago, GTNupe11 said:

This. And don't think it doesn't matter. wde

He's soooooo smooth.  If you were not watching the name on the jersey you would swear you were watching a NBA 5th year all star.  He makes everything look effortless.  And that is pure talent.  The ceiling is crazy to think about.  

• Like 1

Even though I am of the opinion it’s gonna be a photo finish between him and Paolo, dude is definitely a first overall talent. I believe Kevin O’Connor said he was a year younger than Chet and 6 months younger than PB. Something to that effect, and something that should factor in 

I see a little bit of many players in Jabari. KD is who he is most similar to. But saw a couple of mid-range fall away jumpers that reminded me of the big German Dirk.  Most players with his skill set are all about the O but he plays great D. He will pick up guards out front, defend foward's and can guard a center. He has a sweet jumper that extends easily to 3 point range and is strong going to the basket.  His upside is great as Cole and others have said needs to work on his handle as that is an area that he needs to improve and hopefully add some muscle without loosing his quickness and jumping ability.

And, he is a great teammate.   After scoring his career (what 15 games) high, he publicly says, and meant it, that Dylan was the most important player on the court.   Team before me.  This kid is the real deal.

• Like 2

You don't see guys like this in college too often these days. Talent like his goes overseas or to a bigger school. Hell, he could've gone to his father's alma mater. The guy loves being a college player and the experience, and hopefully stories like his will help not just Auburn, but other schools get elite players to come play college ball instead of going to the G-League and playing in front of crowds of 200 people. 

• Like 1

He is smoother than KD. The talent is there is get to KD level. That's so high high praise. I wish we could have seen him with Cooper this year. Too bad the Hawks will not have a top 2 pick to make it happen in the NBA.

• Like 1

I love cole's phrase that Jabari is a unicorn! Just like Cam was a unicorn. This basketball season could actually be special like FB in 2010 (without the eligibility drama). THAT'S why this season is so much fun! Just knowing what MIGHT happen adds a huge excitement factor!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Even though I am of the opinion it’s gonna be a photo finish between him and Paolo, dude is definitely a first overall talent. I believe Kevin O’Connor said he was a year younger than Chet and 6 months younger than PB. Something to that effect, and something that should factor in 

I see Paolo as a better shooting and dribbling Blake Griffin (at least at this stage). Jabari has the ability to make an impact like Jayson Tatum did early on in his career. Not sure I see that immediate impact for Paolo but who knows...dude definitely has the physical attributes to hang in the NBA. 

2 hours ago, GTNupe11 said:

I see Paolo as a better shooting and dribbling Blake Griffin (at least at this stage). Jabari has the ability to make an impact like Jayson Tatum did early on in his career. Not sure I see that immediate impact for Paolo but who knows...dude definitely has the physical attributes to hang in the NBA. 

I know from perusing the Miami game that there’s a facilitator possibility down the road for the guy (kinda like Griffin briefly had), and if Banchero does show the athleticism/dominant inside presence/handle at 6’10 PLUS a secondary playmaker for some team, that’s first overall no doubt. 

I still think, between the three, Jabari has the most readily translatable skill in his catch and shoot ability. He’s going to be drafted #1 because he has the most upside, but that’s just what I see out of them 

Jabari's "Bucket List" included winning a National Championship. That means he's obviously coming back if Auburn doesn't win it all this year.

• Haha 1

I read a quote from Jabari a few days ago that really impressed me.  He said something to the effect of "Having a great time with my teammates and loving Auburn".

He's playing to win.  He's a winner for sure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tgrogan21 said:

Jabari's "Bucket List" included winning a National Championship. That means he's obviously coming back if Auburn doesn't win it all this year.

Dude would get a statue built that sophomore season if he chose to take it 

• Like 1

Smoother than kd? I don't think that's possible. I'm just saying he has the potential to even dream he could be that though. I don't know if I'm expressing myself. To even dream to even THINK you can be like him is out of grasp for 99% of people. 

That's speaking to the talent we have. I actually don't think we market him enough. I just think Auburn is filled with such corny people up top that we don't know how to capitalize off stuff like this.

It's because most of our fan base is corny because you know we do everything from within. This is a guy we should showcase and reap the benefits of recruiting for years to come actually

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Dude would get a statue built that sophomore season if he chose to take it 

I know he's not coming back, I want to say that right off the bat. But I truly believe if there was a generational talent that could easily be a top 3 pick that *would* come back, it would be Jabari. The kid is so team oriented and seems like such a down-to-earth person so it wouldn't surprise me if he got a huge NIL deal to come back to win a national championship with this team (if we don't win one this year).

Just think, we have only 1 senior on the team this year and that senior *could* come back for a 5th year of eligibility due to Covid. The amount of chemistry on this team is insane and it would be even crazier if he came back with Westry and Donaldson.

Again, though. I know he's not coming back ... :P

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cole256 said:

That's speaking to the talent we have. I actually don't think we market him enough. I just think Auburn is filled with such corny people up top that we don't know how to capitalize off stuff like this.

The social media team is very hip, I’d say they keep their ear to the vibes and narratives more than anyone. But I assume you’re referring more to the businesses and brands and hot shots around town. 

6 hours ago, tgrogan21 said:

I know he's not coming back, I want to say that right off the bat. But I truly believe if there was a generational talent that could easily be a top 3 pick that *would* come back, it would be Jabari. The kid is so team oriented and seems like such a down-to-earth person so it wouldn't surprise me if he got a huge NIL deal to come back to win a national championship with this team (if we don't win one this year).

Just think, we have only 1 senior on the team this year and that senior *could* come back for a 5th year of eligibility due to Covid. The amount of chemistry on this team is insane and it would be even crazier if he came back with Westry and Donaldson.

Again, though. I know he's not coming back ... :P

yeah with Flanagan having to share a lot more this time around, and his late start, he might be interested in returning. You get him and everyone sans Jabari, I think that’s a team that just needs a 75% of a Jabari caliber guy to again be a top 10ish team. And we’re still actively recruiting so it’s not like that’s impossible. It’s gonna be a really good core for another 2-3 years tbh. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Jabari showed a few things in the UK game that you have to love. Despite struggling at times with his handle, he asserted himself as the best player on the floor multiple times. He was still too passive at times for my taste (didn't take his first shot until 5 minutes into the game), but took big ones when we needed them. The first time was when he took an iso on the wing and drove to the foul line, pump faked and drained a shot to end UK's early game run. It was his first basket of the game (second shot attempt) and sent a clear signal that he can get a bucket when we need it most. The next one was a few moments later as we started trading baskets with UK, he came off a ball screen from Kessler and UK trapped off the screen with Tshiebwe and Smith rose above both guys and buried a jumper from just inside the three point line. I think on the next possession he caught the ball on the wing jab stepped and drained a three and just like that he had 7 points in three trips down the court after our offenses struggled early on. 

The last time that jumps out is what you expect from the best player on the floor. We had controlled much of the second half, built a 10 point lead and kept UK at a distance. But with a little over two minutes to go they had cut the lead to four, Kessler was on the beach catching a breather, and you could feel the game tightening. We come down and give it to Jabari on an iso at the elbow, he's being guarded by Topin and on the pass the point defender comes to double Smith. Smith takes a single dribble away from the double team and raises up and shoots right over the top of it as smooth as you will ever see, good for two and pushes our lead back out to six. It isn't a highlight type play, not a huge dunk, etc...but it is a dagger to the other team that our best guy is better than anything you can throw at him in these big moments. The last one came with under a minute, as he drove from the right wing to the left block, got doubled, pump faked and gave a dish to Kessler for an uncontested dunk. 

He also had key defensive stops and rebounds, but we saw a flash today of a guy who knows how to make the big shots in the big moments. Enjoy the show while we have him. 

• Like 2
  • Love 2

48 minutes ago, JwgreDeux said:

Jabari showed a few things in the UK game that you have to love. Despite struggling at times with his handle, he asserted himself as the best player on the floor multiple times. He was still too passive at times for my taste (didn't take his first shot until 5 minutes into the game), but took big ones when we needed them. The first time was when he took an iso on the wing and drove to the foul line, pump faked and drained a shot to end UK's early game run. It was his first basket of the game (second shot attempt) and sent a clear signal that he can get a bucket when we need it most. The next one was a few moments later as we started trading baskets with UK, he came off a ball screen from Kessler and UK trapped off the screen with Tshiebwe and Smith rose above both guys and buried a jumper from just inside the three point line. I think on the next possession he caught the ball on the wing jab stepped and drained a three and just like that he had 7 points in three trips down the court after our offenses struggled early on. 

The last time that jumps out is what you expect from the best player on the floor. We had controlled much of the second half, built a 10 point lead and kept UK at a distance. But with a little over two minutes to go they had cut the lead to four, Kessler was on the beach catching a breather, and you could feel the game tightening. We come down and give it to Jabari on an iso at the elbow, he's being guarded by Topin and on the pass the point defender comes to double Smith. Smith takes a single dribble away from the double team and raises up and shoots right over the top of it as smooth as you will ever see, good for two and pushes our lead back out to six. It isn't a highlight type play, not a huge dunk, etc...but it is a dagger to the other team that our best guy is better than anything you can throw at him in these big moments. The last one came with under a minute, as he drove from the right wing to the left block, got doubled, pump faked and gave a dish to Kessler for an uncontested dunk. 

He also had key defensive stops and rebounds, but we saw a flash today of a guy who knows how to make the big shots in the big moments. Enjoy the show while we have him. 

He doesn’t even need a move per se, but if that dribbling in traffic becomes even league average (for a small forward, not for a 6’10+ player 🤣), it’s over. Dudes mechanics and knowledge of when to put up a shot and how to create space is second to none in this draft 

The ultimate possession this team can run, Flanigan/Green driving off a Kessler screen, him rolling to the rim, Jabari in the driver’s corner ready to shoot if help comes, that is indefensible. I do not think there is a single team that can defend that play