2022 Coaching Changes and Transfer Portal

Former Auburn commit Savanna Sikes, who played for UGA the past couple of years, is transferring to Ole Miss, and will join Jenna Lord there.

3 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Former Auburn commit Savanna Sikes, who played for UGA the past couple of years, is transferring to Ole Miss, and will join Jenna Lord there.

Ole Miss led the SEC and was second nationally in football transfer ranking. It looks like they've decided to work that side of things in football and other sports as well..

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, blakem said:

What happened to krista Harrell 

Her and her husband had their second child recently, so she might be stepping away for a bit or taking on a smaller role on the staff. She definitely seems like to be one of the player’s favorites. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Jad0003 said:

Her and her husband had their second child recently, so she might be stepping away for a bit or taking on a smaller role on the staff. She definitely seems like to be one of the player’s favorites. 

I went to camp with my sister last year and I know that the campers loved her. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, blakem said:

What happened to Krista Harrell 

Her husband took a coaching job in Florida.  I hate to see her go, but moving Coach Ken into an official capacity will help us offensively.  She'll kill it wherever she decides to contribute.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a little puzzled by this.  Is McCrary the same one who self-announced her transfer back in May?

That is a bit confusing since she was with the Vols in '20 and '21.  The following article I believe provides some clarity.

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/Article/Former-Tennessee-player-signs-joins-Auburn-softball-team-190935028/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Did Tennessee not have the option to release her?

Yes, they must have not wanted to for some reason.

The article makes it sound as though at the time she decided to transfer, you had to sit out 1 year if the transfer was within the same conference.  That has been changed.  This from a June 2021 article: 

"The NCAA announced in April that it will now allow undergraduate student-athletes across all sports to transfer one time without having to sit out a year-in-residence, as had previously been the rule for revenue sports. Despite that, individual conferences were still bound to their existing rules that prevented players from playing immediately in the event that they transfered between member institutions.

The SEC on Thursday was the latest to strike down its rule as the conference announced that the SEC Presidents and Chancellors have amended the league's policy and will now allow undergraduates to play immediately even if they transfer within the conference. "

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

This may be interesting; the previous  head coach of 11 years resigned (241 - 340) 2 months ago and then was hired as the Southern Miss coach.

Memphis is expected to name Stephanie VanBrakle Prothro as the program’s new head coach, sources confirmed to Extra Inning Softball.

VanBrakle Prothro spent the last eleven seasons as the pitching coach at Alabama, her alma mater. She was part of the coaching staff that led the Crimson Tide to the national championship in 2012, as well as six Women’s College World Series berths in total during her tenure.

Pitchers to come from under Van Brakle Prothro’s tutelage include Jackie Traina, Alexis Osorio, Sydney Littlejohn, and Montana Fouts, as well as Sarah Cornell who received SEC Pitcher of the Year honors in 2019 after transferring to the Crimson Tide from Hofstra.

Prior to beginning her lengthy tenure at Alabama, Van Brakle spent one year as the head coach at Samford and two years as head coach at Birmingham Southern. Samford was 14-40 during her single season, though Birmingham-Southern recorded a 57-14 record under her shepherding.

Memphis finished the 2022 season with a 16-38 overall record and a 2-16 showing in American Athletic Conference play.

Edited by slot canyon
  • Thanks 1

Looks like we picked up another transfer. Icess Tresvik from North Carolina A&T. She was a freshman last year who made the All Freshman team as well as Second Team All Conference. She hit 10 home runs and had 31 RBI for the year. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, wde2021 said:

Looks like we picked up another transfer. Icess Tresvik from North Carolina A&T. She was a freshman last year who made the All Freshman team as well as Second Team All Conference. She hit 10 home runs and had 31 RBI for the year. 

I didn’t even know we had room for any more transfers.

I was actually hopeful CMD could maybe pick up a power lefty arm for the pitching staff.  I understand you don't need a lot of pitchers for softball unless you have injuries. But our luck has certainly not been very good with nagging injuries.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...