Sobering thought

AURainman

When I attended the Vanderbilt game on Saturday, I received a set of the Auburn Basketball trading cards. Yawn. Anywho, on the back of those cards, there was either...

A. ...a listing of the player's background from High School, Prep School, or Junior College for first year players

or

B. ...a listing of player stats if they had played for Auburn last year.

Of the 15 cards I received, only SIX had stats listed. Meaning only SIX had ever set foot on a court wearing Auburn jerseys.

Rasheem Barrett (one year)

Quantez Robertson (one year)

Korvotney Barber (one year)

Josh Dollard (one year)

Frank Tolbert (two years)

Some white dude (one year)--The white dude's stats read an average of 0.6 minutes/game.

I realized how young this team was, but it took seeing it laid before me to REALLY grasp how dire the situation has been.

So, all other players (Quan Prowell, Archie Miaway, Lucas Hargrove, Matt Heramb, Kelvin Lewis) are playing their first season under Lebo.

Frank Tolbert is the only guy who's tenure has lasted as long as Lebo's.

Anyone who calls Lebo out on lack of success has NO idea what's going on here.

When I attended the Vanderbilt game on Saturday, I received a set of the Auburn Basketball trading cards. Yawn. Anywho, on the back of those cards, there was either...

A. ...a listing of the player's background from High School, Prep School, or Junior College for first year players

or

Of the 15 cards I received, only SIX had stats listed. Meaning only SIX had ever set foot on a court wearing Auburn jerseys.

Josh Dollard (one year)

Some white dude (one year)--The white dude's stats read an average of 0.6 minutes/game.

I realized how young this team was, but it took seeing it laid before me to REALLY grasp how dire the situation has been.

So, all other players (Quan Prowell, Archie Miaway, Lucas Hargrove, Matt Heramb, Kelvin Lewis) are playing their first season under Lebo.

WE are very lucky to have Lebo here! I mean LUCKY! Most of the people who make comments are the ones who never attend the games and just read the papers in the mornings. Oh well.

You won't win many games shooting 27.5% like AU did against Kentucky! Not when the other team is hitting 57%! Some nights you hit 'em, some nights you don't. Usually a couple of guys have a hot hand but not last night! I'm hoping that Lebo has run-off those that didn't want to play as a team and is left with some good, young, raw talent that he can mold into a good team next year. Reading some of the articles in the paper today, I don't think most of them had experienced anything like what they saw at Kentucky. They'll get better!

The sad part is that they could be very good this year IMO had the kid (can't remember his name) hadn't transferred to FSU. A pure shooter looks to be the biggest piece of the puzzle missing, as they have several athletic guys who can run and jump with the best of 'em.

I'm glad Douglas is not here. He was a ball hog. One of my FSU friends wished he wasn't because of that same reason. Yeah he can put it in but he doesn't pass much. Very much a "ME" player

or

Josh Dollard (one year)

I'm usually not a black cloud kind of person, but a basketball team should not be that young in the third season of a new coach no matter WHAT the situation was before he got there.

My rule of thumb is that football takes three seasons. You can pretty much tell what kind of coach you've got in the third year of his tenure. With basketball, it's two. In most cases a good coach can turn a program around in a year. (See Tennessee and Bruce Pearl). This is his third year. Unless the NBA has been at your door plucking first rounders (see North Carolina) then there's no reason to have nine of 15 in an Auburn uniform for the first time.

Not trying to be a cynic, but he's going to have to show me something. He's going to have to show me something tangible, not just coach speak about "youth, struggles, doing it the right way, blah, blah, blah, youth, blah, blah, blah, young, trying, difficult league, blah, blah, blah." I'd like to be on his bandwagon. I'd like to be on board and excited about Auburn basketball. It used to be fun. I got on it when Lebo was hired. I'm standing on the side of the road now, wondering if somebody's going to pump up all the tires so it can get going again. I wouldn't mind getting back on, but at the moment I'm pretty ambivalent about the whole thing. He's going to have to show me that the kids he's recruiting can actually compete in this league. And that means beating some of these teams occasionally. Like LSU. Like Alabama (no excuse for the continued losses to them). Like Florida. Like Kentucky.

And I don't want to hear the "youth" thing again. About half the "youth" is good enough to play in the NBA these days. If you can recruit, you can go from last to first in a season. One or two kids can make that big an impact. Where are those kids?

Just saying...

I think Lebo inherited a special situation however. The shelves were really left bare and what was left there was soured. Remember he had defections for Indiana. He lost a great freshman who was not satisfied being a star. And to those I say don't let the door hit you on the way out. I think he's building the right way. I think he did a good job to clean house of those not willing to work or abide by the rules. We beat Vandy, should have beat LSU, and we showed our youth against KY. We had growing pains with Tubs, and we have them with Lebo, but I think he'll do ok. Remember, its gonna be hard to dominate at Auburn. We just don't have the tradition or the facilities at this time to recruit a lot of big time players.

or

Josh Dollard (one year)

I'm usually not a black cloud kind of person, but a basketball team should not be that young in the third season of a new coach no matter WHAT the situation was before he got there.

My rule of thumb is that football takes three seasons. You can pretty much tell what kind of coach you've got in the third year of his tenure. With basketball, it's two. In most cases a good coach can turn a program around in a year. (See Tennessee and Bruce Pearl). This is his third year. Unless the NBA has been at your door plucking first rounders (see North Carolina) then there's no reason to have nine of 15 in an Auburn uniform for the first time.

Not trying to be a cynic, but he's going to have to show me something. He's going to have to show me something tangible, not just coach speak about "youth, struggles, doing it the right way, blah, blah, blah, youth, blah, blah, blah, young, trying, difficult league, blah, blah, blah." I'd like to be on his bandwagon. I'd like to be on board and excited about Auburn basketball. It used to be fun. I got on it when Lebo was hired. I'm standing on the side of the road now, wondering if somebody's going to pump up all the tires so it can get going again. I wouldn't mind getting back on, but at the moment I'm pretty ambivalent about the whole thing. He's going to have to show me that the kids he's recruiting can actually compete in this league. And that means beating some of these teams occasionally. Like LSU. Like Alabama (no excuse for the continued losses to them). Like Florida. Like Kentucky.

And I don't want to hear the "youth" thing again. About half the "youth" is good enough to play in the NBA these days. If you can recruit, you can go from last to first in a season. One or two kids can make that big an impact. Where are those kids?

Just saying...

"Youth." :poke::roflol:B)

Just saying...

When Lebo took over:

Cliff Ellis' planned roster included 8 seniors, 1 sophomore, and 2 freshmen. No Juniors.

Of those 8 seniors 2 transferred (as frickin' seniors, unheard of)

Of those 8 seniors 1 didn't qualify academically (Bradon Robinson)

Of those 8 seniors 3 were Junior College players in their second season.

That 1 sophomore transferred.

Those two freshmen were Toney Douglas and Frank Tolbert. (Toney Douglas transferred after one year).

So, the makeup of Lebo's first Auburn team was 5 seniors + 2 freshmen.

The remainder of that team available the next year was 1 freshman, Frank Tolbert, and 1 medical redshirt senior from the prior year, name escapes me.

Frank Tolbert is the energizer bunny, but wasn't meant to carry a team.

'Name escape me' was a good outside shooter, but a small guard by our standards.

So, Lebo inherited a small team, that was senior heavy.

Most of those seniors jumped ship leaving the cupboard very bare.

The new recruits have been in trouble or have transferred.

I'm not being a complete apologist. I don't understand why we can't recruit a guy over 6-10, but I'm willing to cut Lebo some slack considering our facilites are 12th of 12 in the SEC.

Just jump back on the bandwagon with me. There's plenty of elbow room.

There are not many big guys out there that didn't go the NBA already. This new rule should help with that. I mean how often do you see a guy 6'10 250 walking down the street. It's not like they are readily available

• 2 weeks later...

Just saying...

Does anybody have any ketchup? I'll need to start eating some of these words now.

All is forgiven now that you have seen the error of your ways. Save your helping of crow and add it to what you should already be doling out around your neck of the woods.

I hear his wife makes a mean possum/armadillo salmagundi.

" You'll have to excuse my rusticated friend here, unaccustomed as he is to city manners."

Archived