Report alleging Cecil admitting to money discussions

MIGMAN

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Question is, did Auburn/Slive ask this guy to sit on the story until tonight?  Maybe this is still not new information.

What good would that do?  I don't see how that would help us a bit.  (Not trying to be rude, just trying to figure out where you're coming from with this one.)

All he has admitted is that there was money talk. It doesn't say that Cecil Newton solicited it.

Exactly. I read it the same as some people and thought Cecil admitted to asking for money. It doesn't say that. It says........ Cecil Newton, has admitted having conversations with an ex-Mississippi State University player about the possibility of under-the-table money if Cam Newton signed to play football at Mississippi State, though he's steadfastly maintained that no money ever changed hands and said no official at Mississippi State ever made such an offer......That could mean Kenny Rogers approached him about getting money for Cam. Bottom line, IF Cecil says he was the one who asked, Cam will not be playing tomorrow.

Even if this was true, It doesn't mean that Rogers didn't bring it up and that was when Cecil turned on MSU. Also if the source is claiming it was with Rogers he is not an MSU official so it wouldn't be like he was talking to MSU.

Question is, did Auburn/Slive ask this guy to sit on the story until tonight?  Maybe this is still not new information.

What good would that do?  I don't see how that would help us a bit.  (Not trying to be rude, just trying to figure out where you're coming from with this one.)

If Cecil has been cooperating fully with the NCAA, maybe they already knew this.  If Auburn/Slive thought this was about to get out anyway, why not at least get an alumnus to break it.

I can't wait for the movie... I wish I had some popcorn... this is better than any drama or mystery you could write.

isn't that the truth????  this has been like the daily Cam Soap Opera!!! The Days of Cam Newton....The Young and the Solicited.....As The Tiger Turns.....puhleez!!!!

Mark Winne is a very respected investigative journalist here in Atlanta.  He doesn't do trash.  Through his TV station I am sure he has many local relationships here in ATL to get that information. Other family?  We don't know who is source is.  However, it is still just information not facts.  Actually this can still be consistent with the fact that Rogers approached Cecil Newton and he blew the whistle to the ncaa.    

I can't wait for the movie... I wish I had some popcorn... this is better than any drama or mystery you could write.

isn't that the truth????  this has been like the daily Cam Soap Opera!!! The Days of Cam Newton....The Young and the Solicited.....As The Tiger Turns.....puhleez!!!!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

if this is true, why would Cecil go public with this to a small atlanta tv station for it to break to the local media, and why on the night before one of the biggest games of the season?  Doesn't make much sense, but i wont sleep well tonight.  :(

Does anybody else not see where Cecil has lied too? I mean, his initial statement was something in the tune of "If someone solicited payment, they did it without our knowledge" or something like that?

If this report is true then Auburn had to give Cecil the green light to tell this, which means his eligibility is ok.

Is that why the writer, is an Auburn man, emphasized????

What about this theory:  Supposedly Cam or his dad made a statement in a phone conversation "the money was too much".

Maybe he meant that MSU offering money was too much and that they did not want to be a part of that.  

I wonder if Thanks Giving Dinner is gonna be a lil tense at the Newton house this year.... If this is true, I'm very disappointed in Cecil...

If this report is true then Auburn had to give Cecil the green light to tell this, which means his eligibility is ok.

Not necessarily. This has the FBI involved. It is wayyyyyyyyyyy bigger than Auburn University at this point. Maybe Cecil was afraid it was going to leak and he wanted to be the one to get this out there. Like i said. It's very vague. It does not say Cecil "solicted" the money. Just that money was talked about.

I have a ? I had to read this really fast because I'm at work. I know it said that money came up but did it say the he (newton) ask for money. Or did mr. Kenny offer him money. Sorry if it has already been ask.

I have a ? I had to read this really fast because I'm at work. I know it said that money came up but did it say the he (newton) ask for money. Or did mr. Kenny offer him money. Sorry if it has already been ask.

No

Great point.

Rogers is painting the picture of him sitting on the side and just being along for the ride. There is no doubt in my mind that Rogers orchestrated this whole thing. Just because Rogers approached Cecil about money doesn't mean that Cecil had any knowledge of payment being solicited from MSU.

What about this theory:  Supposedly Cam made a statement in a phone conversation "the money was too much".

Maybe he meant that MSU offering money was too much and that they did not want to be a part of that.  

A good lawyer could "spin" that in so many different meanings. I totally agree with you. MSU's AD said they had nothing on any other school.

What about this theory:  Supposedly Cam made a statement in a phone conversation "the money was too much".

But it said Cam didn't know about the conversation.

Exclusive: Cam Newton's Dad Admits Money Talks, Says Source

Cecil Newton Stresses Son's Hands Are Clean

Posted: 9:38 pm EST November 12, 2010

Updated: 10:18 pm EST November 12, 2010

ATLANTA -- While Auburn University quarterback Cameron Newton has had to overcome more than tacklers in his well-chronicled, redemptive run to college football stardom, his dad has been scrambling in recent days to explain his own actions.

A source close to the situation exclusively told Channel 2 Action News investigative reporter Mark Winne that the player's father, Cecil Newton, has admitted having conversations with an ex-Mississippi State University player about the possibility of under-the-table money if Cam Newton signed to play football at Mississippi State, though he's steadfastly maintained that no money ever changed hands and said no official at Mississippi State ever made such an offer.

According to Winne’s source, Cecil Newton said his son’s hands are clean, and has made it clear that Cam Newton himself and his mother knew nothing about the money discussions, nor did Auburn University, with whom the Westlake High School grad from College Park eventually signed with out of junior college.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have a news tip? E-mail mark.winne@wsbtv.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Winne’s source, who acknowledged sympathies on the Newton side of things, said the player and both parents have demonstrated a willingness to cooperate with the NCAA, beyond even the financial records turned over by the family, and from churches Cecil Newton oversees.

Watch Winne's exclusive report on the Channel 2 Action News Nightbeat at 11 p.m.

(Editor's Note: Channel 2 Action News investigative reporter Mark Winne believes it important to disclose that he attended Auburn University, and has remained active primarily through the College of Liberal Arts.)

Guys and gals,

(1) I do not see quotes

(2) It does not indicate which side did the solicitation.  <- With that said, remember at the start of all of this Cam's dad went on record (paraphrase) saying that if someone was acting on CN's part it was not within Cecil or his sons knowledge.

Archived