umpiring

Seriously guys, not using this as an excuse for the loss today, but can a strike zone can be anymore inconsistent. How can anybody for either team adjust to an up and down strike zone? At what level are umpires expected to be consistent? If u call a low zone, stay there for God's sake...no one would care as long as it remained the same for 9 innings. When the pitchers have no idea of the expectation of the zone, no adjustments are possible and you end up leaving balls on a "tee" to be hit hard. Watched game 2 of the Bama series on the internet and i dont think i've seen such inconsistency as any level to include little league. I wish college ball offered a form of the K zone like you see on major league telecast. Would love to see some sort of evaluation process for the umpires, im sure there is one behind the scenes but these clowns continue to work big games to include Hoover. No excuses for losses, but it makes if difficult on both teams to make the needed adjustments and things dont seem to be getting better. I attended the game today, and observed the zone to be up and down, in and out. Also, noticed these so-called professionals to be out of position several times. Again, want to emphasize that its no excuse for a loss, but the best umpiring is done when no one in the park notices them.

Having lived through a son and a daughter who both pitched all the way through Junior College, I have seen my share of moving strike zones.  Not only is it frustrating to the pitchers (and their dads) it is frustrating for the hitters also.  They don't know what the ump will call either.  I always told the umpires, I don't care what your strike zone is just be consistent from the first pitch to the last and for both teams.  You can call it from the toes to the nose from batters bax to batters box or you can call it from the top of the leg to the waist inside the white part of the plate, just be consistent with it.  It is hard to find one who can do that.  My Brother in Law is an NCAA umpire.  No, he wasn't in Auburn today.  But he has called some Auburn games.  He actually does a pretty good job of calling balls and strikes. 

One word... HORRIBLE!  I have been to just about every home game this year (and a few road games) and have seen this junk first hand all season long.  I am absolutely sick of umpiring continually factoring in the outcome of games in this league. 

There has to be some way to hold these idiots accountable and/or figure a way to up the talent level in this league.

I was listening to Sunday's game on WJOX in Bham, and the bama announcer kept commenting on how poor the calls were.  He kept saying that it was working in bama's favor so he wouldn't complain, but he didn't understand the inconsistency.

I was listening to Sunday's game on WJOX in Bham, and the bama announcer kept commenting on how poor the calls were.  He kept saying that it was working in bama's favor so he wouldn't complain, but he didn't understand the inconsistency.

It was so bad that it cost us 2 runs in the 9th.  Now the error didn't help, but obvious strikes weren't called, and then the first base ump, for lack of a better term, just flat out wasn't paying attention.  It was horrible.

Archived