AU @ Tenn Game 1

There's a lot of blame to go around for this game, but I see no way in hades that you can blame this on Paw. He did a great job of using his bench and his bullpen. He shouldn't have to motivate his team for this series, so that's on the team. Bottom line, you gotta get more runs in when you have that many runners on base. Bases loaded in the top of the 9th and one out and we can't get even one in? That's why we lost. Explain how that is coach's fault

There's a lot of blame to go around for this game, but I see no way in hades that you can blame this on Paw. He did a great job of using his bench and his bullpen. He shouldn't have to motivate his team for this series, so that's on the team. Bottom line, you gotta get more runs in when you have that many runners on base. Bases loaded in the top of the 9th and one out and we can't get even one in? That's why we lost. Explain how that is coach's fault

Good point. I don't thinking the coaching is as good as it could be, but I think people are blaming coaching too much. Paw can't go out there and throw the pitches for Jacobs, who walked 3 of the game's first 4 batters. He can't go out there and hit for Gamache, who's in an absolute funk right now w/ a .293 average and having some really poor at-bats. He can't go out there and hit for our guys w/ RISP, which is something that's been non-existent for about the last 2 months or so. The guys on this team know what's at stake, and they either want it bad enough or they don't. Simple as that.

Where I think coaching comes in is the preparation and the mentality. These guys come out flat WAYYY too often and seem to be very lackadaisical in their approach, and I think that could be a reflection of the head coach and the way they prepare during the week. I don't know. But I do know that this performance in what was an important game for these guys is unacceptable against this weak of an opponent.

But the players have to step up and start performing like they're capable of at some point.

I think a lot of Gamache's problem stems from his hamstring. It's obvious watching him try to run the bases that it's still affecting him bigtime. Maybe its time to let him sit for a few games and see if it gets any better, since he really isn't helping the team at all trying to play through it. The only thing is I can't really think of anyone who I'd rather have hitting there with Bobby still out

I strongly believe -- whether it's fair or not -- that if we somehow get swept this weekend and don't make the SEC tourney, Pawlowski will be on the hot seat. It's highly unlikely, but the head coach gets all the recognition for the success and becomes the scapegoat for the failure. It comes w/ the territory.

I'm not saying it's fair or unfair, but if we have an absolute meltdown this weekend, Pawlowski will feel some heat. Too much has gone wrong this season already.

Is there a reason KP is even playing? For him to hit one 550 once every 50 at bats. I expected him to really step it up this year. That hasn't happened at all. He has a huge hole in his swing. I've seen him make some pretty good defensive plays at times, but he's a liability with the stick.

Fradejas and Gamache have to start hitting at the top of the lineup.  I think we could see Wacker or Gonzalez starting tomorrow and hitting 1 or 2.

I'll give you Gamache he is definitely in a slump.. probably due to his injury.  But I think Fradejas has been playing very well of late.  Off night tonight to be sure but overall his play has been good.

Just my two cents.

WAR EAGLE BOYS!!  Let's pull this together!

:wareagle:

You hit the nail on the head. Coach is not the guy coming in out of the pen and walking batters. He is not the one who doesn't get off the mound to cover first on a ball to the first basemen. He is not the one who goes to the plate, with the other pitcher struggling, and swings at the first or second pitch. These kids have been coached to know how to play the game. I can assure you of that. They would not be at this level if they didn't know how to play the game. It boils down to our guys going out and executing. All of this blaming Coach because our guys rear ends tighten up and we can't execute is getting very old.

Interesting to read some of these comments.....don't think I would see the same excuses for an AU  football coach if the team was 5-5.  No one would be explaining that it's not the coachs's fault that guys drop passes, or fumble the ball or miss tackles, or let opposing pass receivers get loose.   

Both games are about fundamental skills and this year's baseball team is VERY weak on the fundamentals.  Teaching the fundamentals is the job of a coaching staff.  I'm less inclined than some to blame the players for the basic breakdowns on this team.

All we need is one win to get in SEC tournament, 2 wins to be 2nd seed, 3 wins to be considered for NCAA tournament and we look like we have nothing to play for when in reality we have everything to play for...Dang Auburn get with the damned program! :banghead: 

By far the most embarrassing loss of the year. With everything on the line to totally choke. TN was 5-22 not even the biggest o&b glasses can justify this

I have to agree :(

You hit the nail on the head. Coach is not the guy coming in out of the pen and walking batters. He is not the one who doesn't get off the mound to cover first on a ball to the first basemen. He is not the one who goes to the plate, with the other pitcher struggling, and swings at the first or second pitch. These kids have been coached to know how to play the game. I can assure you of that. They would not be at this level if they didn't know how to play the game. It boils down to our guys going out and executing. All of this blaming Coach because our guys rear ends tighten up and we can't execute is getting very old.

Totally agree^^^^^^

Well that's just the way it is. Like I said in an earlier post, whether it's fair or not, it comes with the territory of being the head coach of a major sport in Div. I college athletics. Coaches get all the praise when things go right, and they get all the blame when things go terribly bad. Fans and media are going look for somebody to blame, and that somebody is going to be the head coach...every time. Not saying it's right or wrong, but that's the reality of it. I think some of the struggles are because of the coaching, but I think more of them are because the players just aren't stepping up and playing like they're capable of.

I think blame can and should be placed all around, but the majority of it (if not all of it) is gonna go right back to Pawlowski.

Interesting to read some of these comments.....don't think I would see the same excuses for an AU  football coach if the team was 5-5.   No one would be explaining that it's not the coachs's fault that guys drop passes, or fumble the ball or miss tackles, or let opposing pass receivers get loose.   

Both games are about fundamental skills and this year's baseball team is VERY weak on the fundamentals.   Teaching the fundamentals is the job of a coaching staff.  I'm less inclined than some to blame the players for the basic breakdowns on this team.

^^THIS^^

I'm sorry but I have witnessed the same mistakes over and over again this year which means they are either not being corrected in practice or the coach can't get through to the kids. Both the players and coaches are at fault here but it's not just squarely on the players as some of you think it is. I'm very disappointed in what this team has done this year. Yes yes I know they are still in it to win the SEC west but they would do so at .500.... There's too much talent on this team and both Coach Paw and the players need to step it up

Don't be surprised if the Updyke come through the back door and wins the west because AU can't hit and we don't have any pitching. In other words, we allowed that other state team to take the west.

Some of y'all need to get a grip. We lost a ton of guys to graduation and the pros last year. We knew this team would not be as good as last years team and they are not. Don't act surprised by that. I feel fortunate to be in the hunt to win the division in what I consider to be a rebuilding year.

According to some people on this site its not the coaches job to teach the fundamentals or to motivate the team.  If this is the case what is he there for? To fill out a line up card. Lets save a lot of money and just let the guys coach themselves.

According to some people on this site its not the coaches job to teach the fundamentals or to motivate the team.  If this is the case what is he there for? To fill out a line up card. Lets save a lot of money and just let the guys coach themselves.

We are not talking about football here. These guys don't have to learn a new O or D at the college level. The game is learned at the little league and Junior Major level. The craft is then honed at the HS level. When you get to the college level you know how to play the game. It's not a Coaches fault that guys don't execute when put into positions to do so. I guarantee you that Coach has taught pitchers to cover first on ball's hit to the first baseman, this was learned at the HS level. I guarantee you kids have been taught when you see as pitcher struggling then you make him throw you a strike before you take the bat off of your shoulder, this is taught at the HS level. Coaches don't teach bull pen pitchers to come in and immediately walk players, this is taught in little league. I learned all of these things before I ever played at the college level. Our struggles are not about "philosophy". Our struggles boil down to 'execution". "Execution" boils down to the players, and it's just that simple. A manager or coaches job is to make in-game decisions. Pitching changes and things of that nature. Name one pitcher you have total confidence to come in and put out the fire for us.......... That's just one of our problems. We don't execute at the plate or on the mound. A coach or manager can show the players where the field is, but the players have to go out there and make things happen. We have to recruit better talent. Coach is in his second full season as far as recruiting goes. Give the guy a chance will you? Some of you sound like you need to reside in West Vance.

We are not talking about football here. These guys don't have to learn a new O or D at the college level. The game is learned at the little league and Junior Major level. The craft is then honed at the HS level. When you get to the college level you know how to play the game. It's not a Coaches fault that guys don't execute when put into positions to do so. I guarantee you that Coach has taught pitchers to cover first on ball's hit to the first baseman, this was learned at the HS level. I guarantee you kids have been taught when you see as pitcher struggling then you make him throw you a strike before you take the bat off of your shoulder, this is taught at the HS level. Coaches don't teach bull pen pitchers to come in and immediately walk players, this is taught in little league. I learned all of these things before I ever played at the college level. Our struggles are not about "philosophy". Our struggles boil down to 'execution". "Execution" boils down to the players, and it's just that simple. A manager or coaches job is to make in-game decisions. Pitching changes and things of that nature. Name one pitcher you have total confidence to come in and put out the fire for us.......... That's just one of our problems. We don't execute at the plate or on the mound. A coach or manager can show the players where the field is, but the players have to go out there and make things happen. We have to recruit better talent. Coach is in his second full season as far as recruiting goes. Give the guy a chance will you? Some of you sound like you need to reside in West Vance.

Fundamentals are coached at every level. In the major leagues they teach young players how to break bad habits,and how to improve their play, and it's done at the college level as well. I know this for a fact because my brother-in-law played college ball, pitched in the CWS, and played pro ball as a relief pitcher. He and I talk baseball from time to time, and I respect his knowledge of the game.

If these kids lack some finesse in certain areas, then the coaches should help them improve. I get the feeling that there's been something going on with this team, and they seem to not really care. Maybe the earlier dissention took it's toll. There's something really off about AU's baseball team this season.

I also think fans had higher expectations than was warranted with this team because of last year's success....

Archived