Anyone else hearing we are talking to

Well by 2015 Oklahoma will probably be another conference so, why schedule someone that you will have to replace anyway?

Uh. What?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Obviously some positives and negatives in scheduling a CURRENTLY elite team or a team expected to be elite when we play.

On one hand, it is exciting, great for tv and exposure, and helps in the SOS.

On the other, it is dangerous when you have to contend with a brutal SEC schedule and any SEC (especially SEC West) team doesn't need much help with the SOS most of the time.

I still remember the 1980's when we played some juggernaut FSU teams. I believe we split 5-5 over the entire time, but those games took a hell of a lot out of our team. It was the best game of the year some years, and I loved the rivalry that developed (the 1990 game was my 3rd favorite AU game I ever attended), but the games were tough and we lost a lot of em.

Also, playing Texas in 1983 cost us the national championship.

So, IMO overtime playing an elite team for us (an SEC West team) each year has more negatives than positives. The turds have somehow managed to catch big name programs in down years (or cycles) for a while now PSU, VT, FSU. It would be kinda like playing Michigan right now. Huge name, not elite currently. Personally, I am ok with Clemson though I am getting a bit tired of them. I would like us to see us play Miami. I am still very angry with them for beating us in 1984 in the kickoff classic.

Where are people hearing this?? I would love for it to happen. This is what big time programs do... play high profile teams on high profile stages. I hate the Updykes but I love what they've done with their scheduling. Virginia Tech, Penn State and Michigan (2012) as out of conference games. The rewards are greater than the risks in these type of games. They can only help recruiting, exposure, national media attention etc. Even if you lose the game, everyone knows a 1-loss SEC champion is probably going to the Title game anyways!!

I don't care who we play as long as we stop playing D1AA or whatever they are calling it now, teams there is no reason we or any D1 school for that matter should schedule them. I would like to see us in a h&h with a midwestern school like Neb. or Iowa

I would like more mid-profile game. Play A&M or OkSU. UNC, UVA. There is a median between scheduling Oklahoma and Louisiana Monroe, and we can't seem to find it.

I agree with this also. Play a northern team and play there early in the season and when it comes to Auburn, play in the later part of the year. Better climate for both games.

What about Washington. I would say Wisconsin, but we have played them. What about Indiana, CT, Colorado, or Illinois?

Well by 2015 Oklahoma will probably be another conference so, why schedule someone that you will have to replace anyway?

How does having them in another conference make any difference in us scheduling them?

Well as history shows us everytime a Conference shuffles teams thier schedules are changed to accomodate the new teams, it happened to us when the SEC added Arky and USCe, we dropped FSU and GT, Penn State dropped Pitt when they joined the Big 10, etc..

Well, I guess Oklahoma could be in the SEC then and it wouldn't matter.

If true I wonder if it is a Jerryworld game being lined up.  If not and a home and home,  certainly it would have to be in Auburn on an odd Year since our road games are so tough in odd sequenced years such as this one upcoming. 

Personally-  I like how 2016 will stack up for us considering the talent we are hauling in now.

Maybe Auburn 2015

Norman 2016

The key is to keep recruiting top 5 classes so we have the talent & depth to handle the EXTRA tough game on the schedule.

Scheduling good teams is high risk, high reward. I think the turds took a calculated risk with their schedule and the Va Tech & Clemson games helped put them in the NC hunt as they continued to win. They got them at the right time when their program was riding high (cheating) to handle the load. Now GA does the same with BSU and has had a couple down years prior so they may have egg on their face. LSU did step up with Washington, WV and now Oregon. I don't think Auburn should HAVE TO DO THIS to get respect and NC consideration, but when two past SEC National Champs are doing it that makes it harder for us not to participate. Our schedule is brutal without adding tough out of conference games and there are solid arguments for & against doing it.

On another note is it just me or do our critics seem to focus on our schedule a tad more than our competitors. Last year we had a schedule MADE FOR SUCCESS, but we were the only SEC team that did ? Is it our fault that every other year our schedule is more favorable with more home games ? We are the ONLY SEC team that has a change and all our competitors alternate with a tough as hell schedule in even years and a tough as hell schedule in odd years ? interesting!    

War Eagle !

This is my thoughts and i'm old school....I would love to see the AU vs. Tech rivalry again

Sept. 3  UTAH STATE-----Drop and add cincy

Sept. 10  MISSISSIPPI STATE

Sept. 17  at Clemson ----------Drop Clem and add Ga. Tech

Sept. 24  FLORIDA ATLANTIC -----Drop and add FSU

Oct. 1  at South Carolina

Oct. 8  at Arkansas ------Drop Ark and add Tn. vols

Oct. 15  FLORIDA

Oct. 22  at LSU

Oct. 29  OLE MISS

Nov. 12  at Georgia

Nov. 19  SAMFORD [HC] Drop and add Boise State, UAB, Tar Heels or any media darling

Nov. 26  ALABAMA

If true I wonder if it is a Jerryworld game being lined up.   If not and a home and home,  certainly it would have to be in Auburn on an odd Year since our road games are so tough in odd sequenced years such as this one upcoming. 

Personally-  I like how 2016 will stack up for us considering the talent we are hauling in now.

Maybe Auburn 2015

Norman 2016

Jerryworld would be far from a home and home. It would be two home games for OU. However, I would love that seeing as I am in Dallas.

I like seeing good matchups and I agree with a previous poster who said we should up the competition to a mid-level team. That sounds fine but  people who talk about consistently playing top 25 teams with no end might as well be ready to wait another 53 years for a championship because we will not wn with a schedule like that every year.  You have to have some creampuffs to give the team a chance to rest and get experience.  I would like a Virginia, or keep Clemson, or Maryland, Wake Forest, Michigan,  UAB, Houston, Texas A/M, Wahington, ect. but expecting the team to play our schedule plus Oklahoma, plus FSU, is too much. Look at the entire NCAA 2011 schedules and tell me how many teams that definitivly have a harder schedule.  I bet out of 119 or  120, teams which ever it is, there are less than 30 that you can honestly, without a doubt say have a harder schedule. 

I'd love to give Oklahoma a piece of that Auburn spirit, actually.  (Especially since '04).  It would definitely be a big game.  I do like the idea that someone suggested before about playing A&M.  We did play Virginia back when Dameyune Craig was the quarterback.  I kind of like playing a Clemson, upper/middle of the road ACC type though.  I think it enhances the schedule and gives us a little more credibility.  We had USF a couple years ago too which I thought was a pretty good lead in, but wound up losing that one(!).  (That was a rough game).  And even WV was a good schedule in my opinion.

Our lifetime record against Oklahoma is 0-1. They beat us 40-22 in the Sugar bowl in the early 70s.

Like Notre Dame, Michigan wants us to play us for 2 games. One at Michigan and the other one anywhere but Jordan-Hare. Maybe at Jerry Jones stadium. But them and Notre Dame just WILL NOT agree to come to Auburn because their both very afraid. I'd like to see us get a home and home deal with South Florida.

I think a series with Oklahoma and then one with Nebraska would be awesome for our program. If we start playing more teams like these, then we'll have to exspand Jordan-Hare.

I think a series with Oklahoma and then one with Nebraska would be awesome for our program. If we start playing more teams like these, then we'll have to exspand Jordan-Hare.

Oh lord it will never stop.

Oh lord it will never stop.

We can expand Jordan-Hare, and go with orange facemasks. All will be right then.  ;)

Boy I see this as a no win situation for AU....Last season we beat more top 25 teams than any other BCS team.  While it might be fun for the fans to see some of the schedules suggested in this post, give some thought to the players and the physical wear and tear these games pile up over a season. 

I'm fine with swapping Clemson for someone of similar difficulty but stacking up a schedule with 10 teams that have an even chance of beating AU is about the best way I know for us to wait another 50 years for a championship.  The SEC is a meatgrinder schedule and somewhere through the season we need a chance to bring along the younger players and let the starters take a bit of a break.....especially if the opposition is going to be playing Ga State the week before our game. 

Also, IMO, if we have a schdule like that and lose even one game, that's it for the BCS unless every other major program does the same thing.    Year in and year out Auburn's schedule is at least as challenging as any other team in the conference (or nation for that matter) and we gain nothing by dropping some of the mid-level teams and adding a bunch of top 25 teams who will demand home-away deals.  AU plays 7 home games most years and it takes that for the program to be financially sound.    By scheduling more road games  the AU program would lose at least one home game and thus bring in less money...plus, fewer Auburn fans would be able to see the team play. 

That said, I'm tired of the Clemson series too...would like to see someone like UNC or one of the Texas schools each year in a stadium with tickets split evenly...UNC at Charlotte for example.  But loading up on major BCS teams is a no win for Auburn IMO.

Archived