JOX Opening Drive...

On the Opening Drive this morning, the story of interest was Cam Newton refusing to sign a couple of AU memoriabilia for some Carolina fans.  Does anyone know why he would refuse to sign his autograph on AU gear??  Jay was saying it could be in this memoriabilia contract with GTSM not to sign certain things.  I really hope Cam has no ill will towards AU.  If someone know more about this, please enlighten.   

That type of thing happens more than you'd think.  When I was at the Pro Am Day for the Regions Tradition this year I tried to get Bo to sign my AU hat but he said he could only sign items with a Regions logo on it.

I was at practice today in S'burg with grandson who had a Panthers shirt and wearing an AU hat....as Cam was passing by signing stuff, my grandson put out the shirt and Cam just passed it by...and never acknowledged my "War Eagle" to him.  I was two feet from him and he never looked up.    Elsewhere, Ziemba, Adams and Pugh responded to my War Eagles in kind and gave Jon their autograph.    Might be something going on between AU and Cam that we don't know about.   

Cam was mobbed by kids and was genial to them and signed a good number of shirts, hats, balls, etc but left before the place became a mob scene.  Can't tell much from an early practice but I he looked pretty good and hit some nice passes.

Guys, we got our National Championship. Cam was with us for what, roughly 13 months? I don't expect him to share the same compassion as a typical Auburn fan. For crying out loud, the guy has been to three schools in 3 years. He has had to prove himself at each level...should everyone from Florida, Blinn College, and Auburn expect a passionate Go Gators, Go Blinn whatever, amd War Eagle? I don't....Oh, Cam didn't speak to me...is he having a falling out with Auburn...let me read between the lines. Wear your heart on a sleeve and see what happens...just saying.     

Based on what Chizik wrote about him in his book, you'd think he'd respond differently.  He basically devoted a third of All In to Cam and had nothing but good things to say about him.

Maybe he's just a little overwhelmed, busy and has a lot on his mind.  He's got to learn to be an NFL QB and then expected to be the face of the franchise.  If he passes by without seeing or hearing you then you shouldn't take it personally and defintely shouldn't jump to conclusions about a rift between he and Auburn.

yeaau.

I'm a grown man and he's a 21 year old kid .  Every other Panther player who passed by at least made a comment to Jon and he thanked them for the autograph.    Cam can be rude or whatever....it's up to him.  My comment was made because someone earlier had a similar observation.

My point was.....on a number of boards we write about "War Eagle" moments and I've experienced a lot of them over the years all over the US.   The other AU guys responded cheerfully with a War Eagle which was what most AU fans would do.   When I told Darvin that we would miss him this season, he responded with a polite "thanks".  

You are right...Cam is not an AU grad and only spent a year on campus.  He helped bring a national championship and got every award imaginable.   Perhaps Auburn was just a "business deal" for him and that's fine with me.  If so, both of us came out winners.   It will be interesting however to see if he shows up on campus to finish his degree in the years to come like Bo and other heros from the past.  If not, that's his loss. JMO

Maybe he's just a little overwhelmed, busy and has a lot on his mind.  He's got to learn to be an NFL QB and then expected to be the face of the franchise.  If he passes by without seeing or hearing you then you shouldn't take it personally and defintely shouldn't jump to conclusions about a rift between he and Auburn.

He should know by now what it's like to be the face of a team.  He was the most popular person in the entire state of Alabama for several months.  That aspect of learning to be a football player should be pretty much behind him by now.

Onto not responding with, "War Eagle"...there's always the chance that he simply didn't hear you.  Or heard you, but it didn't register at the moment.  Whenever I'm in the middle of doing many things at once, I tend to move into a mode of selective hearing.  Or even if I'm just sitting there reading a book, someone can be carrying on a conversation in the same room and I couldn't tell you a single thing that was discussed.  "In one ear, out the other", as they say.

He should know by now what it's like to be the face of a team.  He was the most popular person in the entire state of Alabama for several months.  That aspect of learning to be a football player should be pretty much behind him by now.

Onto not responding with, "War Eagle"...there's always the chance that he simply didn't hear you.  Or heard you, but it didn't register at the moment.  Whenever I'm in the middle of doing many things at once, I tend to move into a mode of selective hearing.  "In one ear, out the other", as they say.

I agree. I do the same thing sometimes when things get wild. I can only imagine how wild it gets for him.

I hate his grandson had a bad moment, but it happens everyday when it comes to fans.

We men are not multitaskers. We can only focus on one thing at a time. There are exceptions to every rule though. My wife thinks I ignore her sometimes when I am busy doing something. I just can't focus on two things at one time. May have been the case with Cam. He may have been overwhelmed by the amount of people out there.

We men are not multitaskers. We can only focus on one thing at a time. There are exceptions to every rule though. My wife thinks I ignore her sometimes when I am busy doing something. I just can't focus on two things at one time. May have been the case with Cam. He may have been overwhelmed by the amount of people out there.

Oh god, please do not group us all together with you.  :banghead:

;)

read plenty of articles about guys that have observed Cam since he left AU, and all have been positive about the way he responded to AU folks and war eagles.  I'm sure it was just one of those moments where he had 50 people wanting him to sign things or look this way for a picture and he can't please everyone.  Hate it that your grandson had a bad moment with Cam.

On the Opening Drive this morning, the story of interest was Cam Newton refusing to sign a couple of AU memoriabilia for some Carolina fans.  Does anyone know why he would refuse to sign his autograph on AU gear??  Jay was saying it could be in this memoriabilia contract with GTSM not to sign certain things.  I really hope Cam has no ill will towards AU.  If someone know more about this, please enlighten.   

I bet Cam in his 1 year at Auburn has signed more stuff and said "War Eagle" 10x more than Spanky has yelled "Raw Tahd" in his 5 years at the Crapstain. I wonder why the clowns on the OD don't discuss this.

Didn't a reporter at one of Saban's first pressers ask him to say "Roh Tahd", and he said "no"?

Can't say that I recall. I do know that I count on one hand the times I've seen him say those words since he has been there though.

I bet Cam in his 1 year at Auburn has signed more stuff and said "War Eagle" 10x more than Spanky has yelled "Raw Tahd" in his 5 years at the Crapstain. I wonder why the clowns on the OD don't discuss this.

Saban is a rat-faced b*st*rd! >:(

Didn't a reporter at one of Saban's first pressers ask him to say "Roh Tahd", and he said "no"?

Saban is a rat-faced b*st*rd! >:(

Maybe so but I wouldn't blame him for not saying that horrible phrase.

Archived