Offensive philosophy

vpsi333

(Slightly different than the hurry-up thread)

I’ve read where quite a few posters would like for AU to go back to the “Pro-Style” offense.  I disagree.  I hope we stay, not necessarily Spread, but, a player friendly, TV friendly, 30+ pts a game type offense.  Since the MNC is like a beauty pageant, we need to keep having ESPN highlight plays and performances.  Twice before we should have won or at least played for the MNC but didn’t, and in just 2 yrs this kind of system helped deliver our first MNC in 57 years.  This year we remained nationally ranked with 5 loses.  Our national profile is as high as it has ever been. 

“They” say that the “Pro-Style” helps players go pro, but if you look closely at the draft, that just doesn’t ring true.  In reality the NFL is slowing going to the spread, New England, Buffalo, Green Bay and New Orleans employ a lot of spread principles. 

Personally I knew the strong, weak, offset I-formations because it’s what we ran in High School,  I understood what was going on and could tell what plays were being set-up.  I could yell at the TV, was quite often able to successfully call the next play and I could openly question the play calling (like why Petrino never called any counters in 2002 vs USC when in the 2nd half their D- line started slanting strong side and we kept running caddie right at them). The spread plays seem to be called at random with no purpose other than giving playmakers the ball with space. That’s because I don’t truly understand the concepts. 

That being said, I can’t argue with recent results/success, football is changing and we’re ahead of that curve in the SEC.  The seeds of the spread have been planted and now it’s time to reap the rewards.   

Some very good points made.....I like our offense but I would change the short passing game....instead of screans more slants and using player picks

When you focus on the 40+ points offense you are setting up you defense for failure. When the defense is left on the field 30+ minutes it takes undersized players that don't get the push that larger D-linemen get. I don't care how great the strength coach is when a defense is on the field longer the offense that will burn fat and muscle. If a coach modifies that spread with the pro style you will have better chance in saving the defense. Fact we need to be able to run both a quick tempo and a slow down offense. The thing that has killed us the last three years, was when there was a need to slow down the offense and run down the clock we failed. We have to be able to manage the clock better on offense as well as the defense.

I keep hearing people make this argument and it sounds good but, it basically hinges on defensive players not being able to improve their conditioning.

Big plays on offense are then to be avoided in any case then if we switch to a "pro-style" offense (which most of the more successful NFL teams are abandoning) because it might put the D back on the field.  A switch to a more conventional offense also decreases our chances of bringing high profile WRs & QBs.  Part of the rationale of switching to some variation of the spread was to make us more appealing to higher profile "play makers."  I don't think anyone would disagree that it helps to raise the profile of the program by having top-tier recruiting classes talked about in February...do you really want the regional and national talk about Auburn football limited to August-January?

It is not about conditioning, it is about at what point when a team is still rebuilding it defense can you afford to keep them on the field. When we are (back to 3 deep strength) which will be a couple more years, it is difficult to keep the defense on the field 60 to 65 percent of the time. When you compare us to Alabama or LSU, they are fully stocked on scholarship players, we are still down at least 10 to 12 players. We have spent the last three years building the numbers on offense for Gus, it will take two or more years to get the numbers on defense. Believe me while exciting for the fans, spread offenses are a nightmare for the defense.

Talking about the NFL the average defensive or offensive line man will eat more that 20,000 calories to keep up there weight, when you take a young man out of high school that is under sized it will take 2 years to get them to the ideal weight. With the spread offense you end up with undersized players, because they spend so much time on the field. They are burning more calories that they are taking in, unlike most of us couch coaches who take in more than they burn.

The fact these young men have weights at around 6:00 in the morning all year around and then practice, with or without coaches year around. It takes time to build the defense that Auburn has been know for. Coach Chizik believes in signing players to play unlike some other coaches that sign players to gray shirt. Right or wrong we need to balance the offense and defense to win games. If we score 21 points and win so be it it is a win, style points are over rated.

When you focus on the 40+ points offense you are setting up you defense for failure. When the defense is left on the field 30+ minutes it takes undersized players that don't get the push that larger D-linemen get. I don't care how great the strength coach is when a defense is on the field longer the offense that will burn fat and muscle. If a coach modifies that spread with the pro style you will have better chance in saving the defense. Fact we need to be able to run both a quick tempo and a slow down offense. The thing that has killed us the last three years, was when there was a need to slow down the offense and run down the clock we failed. We have to be able to manage the clock better on offense as well as the defense.

OST, You make some great points in both posts but I don't think I can agree with the failing in being able to slow down the offense over the last 3 yrs. I thought we were very effective at running clock in '10, mainly due to taking advantage of worn out D lines in the 2nd half after the up tempo took its toll. More trouble this year but I thought CGM tried to adjust and we didn't see as much up tempo and it seemed we tried to help the D out by running some clock but we just didn't have enough run game to accomplish it as well this yr. Just my opinion FWIW--which is cheap.

This line of thinking fails because it doesn't take in account that our defense is and was terrible.  Luckily in 2010 we had some defensive playmakers that succeeded despite the fact the defensive philosophy sucked plus I think Cam helped a lot by keeping the score up against better offenses.

The reality of football in this age are superior qb and wr skills right out of high school. The athletes are better and smarter than ever before and the rules are slanted toward the offense to the detrimate of the defense. In my opinion,and coaches such as Dye,Stallings,Oliver,etc.., the only way to stop a great qb and passing game today is pressure. When you bring lots of pressure,you put yourself in risk-reward situations,where your d can get burned if the o guesses correctly. If you don't bring pressure,the qbs' are so good they will pick you apart and score quickly anyway.

So if you love the 3 yards and a cloud of dust O....it probably ain't gonna happen. You had better be able to score and score quick in this era of college football. And to a greater extent every year,pro football.

Just my humble opinion.

Three and out is three and out........No matter what the offensive scheme..... makes for an impossible task for the defense....

Whether its three yards and a cloud of dust or Malzahn at his best, if the offense maintains ball control and scores then the outcome will be successful......

So, the key is to have a consistently successful offense...I don't want to copy the uat or lsu plans....but we could do worse.......

Archived