Jonathan Wallace

Kiser

2nd hand info, but what else is there to talk about today? Haven't seen this mentioned, but someone from work said he talked to a coach who told him they are planning on moving Wallace to WR. Haven't seen this info anywhere else on here, so TIFWIW.

Guest JNieder51188

this is what i've been thinking since signing day. he's a good athlete and we have a lot of QBs in the mix with him, KF, CM, ZP, and the kid from hoover. seems like a logical move

I would imagine he stays with the QBs for 2012 just to provide depth in the event of injuries and such. If he doesn't look to crack the top 3 then he goes to WR or safety or whatever. But, who knows maybe he proves the rankings wrong and explodes onto the scene.

I've heard both receiver and safety, but I agree that that will likely be somewhere down the line. Depending on how the coaches want to play it, I would imagine that either he will be the scout team QB and Zeke play third string or vice versa. Probably both will redshirt this year, anyway, so it won't matter much which is which.

However, it could be that the two are competing for the third string QB spot, in which case I suspect Wallace will be moved to his permanent position in relatively short order.

I've heard both receiver and safety, but I agree that that will likely be somewhere down the line. Depending on how the coaches want to play it, I would imagine that either he will be the scout team QB and Zeke play third string or vice versa. Probably both will redshirt this year, anyway, so it won't matter much which is which.

However, it could be that the two are competing for the third string QB spot, in which case I suspect Wallace will be moved to his permanent position in relatively short order.

hadnt thought about it in this light ... if pike looks to really have the potential (i.e. head screwed on straight) then it might be better for him to play on the scout team, in lieu of 3rd string.  He would get more "QB reps" on the scout team than sitting there on the 3rd string.  Although he would not be necessarily learning the Auburn offense, i get the impression he needs work on college QB skills first then the AU playbook next?  just a thought for the long term best results for pike ... if wallace turns into a player, then all the better.  i would rather have more legit guys fighting for the job than less.

hadnt thought about it in this light ... if pike looks to really have the potential (i.e. head screwed on straight) then it might be better for him to play on the scout team, in lieu of 3rd string.  He would get more "QB reps" on the scout team than sitting there on the 3rd string.  Although he would not be necessarily learning the Auburn offense, i get the impression he needs work on college QB skills first then the AU playbook next?  just a thought for the long term best results for pike ... if wallace turns into a player, then all the better.  i would rather have more legit guys fighting for the job than less.

Well, first off, I do want to point out that I think Wallace has plenty of potential, regardless of where he winds up (though, personally, I'd like to see him on defense...he's smart enough to be the signal caller from safety).

Second, I do really think Pike would benefit greatly from playing on the scout team because he'd get to see how much he is no longer in a small pond; our first team defense would be sure to introduce him to big time talent. And you're right: he needs to hone his abilities in a more competitive situation than playing third string, where he basically goes through the motions and holds a clipboard.

Wallace was recruited to play QB. I can't find anything on the recruiting sites that said he was brought in as an athlete. Wallace was hand-picked by Loeffler, his 1st QB recruit here at Auburn. I disagree with that he's to small to play QB. UGA has Aaron Murray listed at 6'1" and i do not believe he is that tall, but he is the best QB in the SEC in my opinion. Wallace video highlights are great, and i believe he gets a fair shot at QB.

Wallace was recruited to play QB. I can't find anything on the recruiting sites that said he was brought in as an athlete. Wallace was hand-picked by Loeffler, his 1st QB recruit here at Auburn. I disagree with that he's to small to play QB. UGA has Aaron Murray listed at 6'1" and i do not believe he is that tall, but he is the best QB in the SEC in my opinion. Wallace video highlights are great, and i believe he gets a fair shot at QB.

I personally think Tyler Wilson, the QB from Arky is the best. Aaron Murray has his moments.

He's not too small to play QB, no, but he's not exactly the ideal size, either.

But the thing about him being "hand picked by Loeffler" is a bit much. He didn't have much left to pick from. I don't mean to take anything away from Jonathan, but his best offer before Auburn was Central Florida.

Now, I do think he'll get a fair shot, and maybe he'll surprise me...but I think it's more likely that he's going to get back there, see what his competition is like, and realize why the coaches want to move him to another position (which I think they probably do).

What is he up against? I have to disagree with you here Red. The QB position is as cloudy right now as it was all last season. No one stepped forward and took control of the job. We have a new OC who will correctly sort things out and put us in the best position to win and it starts with finding the right QB for job. Star ratings go out the window when the kids arrive on campus, and then they have to prove themselves all over again.

Guest jrljr

I honestly believe this young man will make a name for himself here. He could have gone elsewhere to be the BMOC but he CHOSE to come to The Plains instead.  WDE Mr. Wallace!!!  :we:

What is he up against? I have to disagree with you here Red. The QB position is as cloudy right now as it was all last season. No one stepped forward and took control of the job. We have a new OC who will correctly sort things out and put us in the best position to win and it starts with finding the right QB for job. Star ratings go out the window when the kids arrive on campus, and then they have to prove themselves all over again.

What is he up against? Well, Clint was Mr. Football in the state of Alabama (which Wallace wasn't), Kiehl won three state championships, three state championship MVPs, and USA Today Player of the Year, and Zeke was not only invited to the Elite 11 camp along with 30 or so other formidable QBs, but was named to that Elite 11 list (the number of such QBs who have gone on to the NFL is staggering).

Forget about star ratings and look at offer lists. Pike was offered by 2/3 of the SEC and several other BCS programs. Wallace's biggest offers appear to be Central Florida and Southern Miss.

Now, I'm not saying that Wallace doesn't have a chance to surprise everyone, but I think it's a pretty big stretch to put Wallace ahead of any of our other QBs, much less all of them.

You're right that no one stepped forward and took the job last year. Two reasons for that, IMO: the offensive line never let anyone get into rhythm, and Kiehl Frazier was a true freshman still getting accustomed to living in the dorms, not to mention keeping up with SEC defensive shifts. Experience matters at QB more than any other position on the field...which is why if either Pike OR Wallace starts this year, it means we're in for a long season.

Guest jrljr

What is he up against? Well, Clint was Mr. Football in the state of Alabama (which Wallace wasn't), Kiehl won three state championships, three state championship MVPs, and USA Today Player of the Year, and Zeke was not only invited to the Elite 11 camp along with 30 or so other formidable QBs, but was named to that Elite 11 list (the number of such QBs who have gone on to the NFL is staggering).

Forget about star ratings and look at offer lists. Pike was offered by 2/3 of the SEC and several other BCS programs. Wallace's biggest offers appear to be Central Florida and Southern Miss.

Now, I'm not saying that Wallace doesn't have a chance to surprise everyone, but I think it's a pretty big stretch to put Wallace ahead of any of our other QBs, much less all of them.

You're right that no one stepped forward and took the job last year. Two reasons for that, IMO: the offensive line never let anyone get into rhythm, and Kiehl Frazier was a true freshman still getting accustomed to living in the dorms, not to mention keeping up with SEC defensive shifts. Experience matters at QB more than any other position on the field...which is why if either Pike OR Wallace starts this year, it means we're in for a long season.

I agree Red. IMO if anyone other than KF starts (unless ZP is lights out) we could be in trouble, at least early on. I honestly believe ZP redshirts & CM is #2. Neither JW or ZP should see the field unless injuries become a contributing factor.

KF did not have a shot to take the job, he threw like 4 passes all year, and got minimal reps in the fall, specifically after BT was named starter/ It was basically a two horse race between BT and CM. If KF had the opportunity to compete in spring workouts I think he would have been the starter (JMHO) I seriously doubt Wallace will show up in August and beat out CM, ZP, or KF, particularly after these guys have had an entire spring and summer workouts unde their belt. 

I agree Red. IMO if anyone other than KF starts (unless ZP is lights out) we could be in trouble, at least early on. I honestly believe ZP redshirts & CM is #2. Neither JW or ZP should see the field unless injuries become a contributing factor.

Zeke is too raw. All the talent in the world, but needs work both mechanically and (more importantly) between the ears. If he puts it all together, he can be a great one, but he won't be there this year. Between the two, Wallace would probably actually make the better QB for this season because he has more experience at the position, and much as I may seem to be down on him, he does have the athletic capability to play...it's just that his skill set would likely be better used elsewhere, considering the other talent we have at QB.

I would like to throw one thing out there: Clint Moseley is not a slouch. He lacks the mobility that Kiehl has, and he has yet to demonstrate the quick feet necessary for an immobile QB to move in the pocket and avoid the rush...but he hadn't seen significant action until the second half of last season, and the offensive line was such that he didn't have much chance. I do think Kiehl will win the QB battle, but I don't at all put it past Clint. Remember, at the beginning of fall practices, it will be the fourth round of fall practice for Moseley, and regardless of his shortcomings, the guy has all the tools necessary to be successful.

It's just that the only advantage he has over Frazier is experience, and I think that gap has closed enough that it won't be enough to keep Kiehl off the field. Clint WILL be the backup in this case, though. Matter of fact, he'll almost certainly be the backup for the next two years if Kiehl wins the job. But time will tell.

I have a feeling that Wallace will stay at QB will eventually outshine some of his higher rated counterparts.

i agree.  He only moves later if he can't get on the field otherwise.

Actually, you guys remember that comment from one of the beat writers that Zeke could move to DE or Jonathan could move to safety? Maybe that's indicative that this year will be the battleground between them for who will be the QB of their class, and the loser of the battle moves to defense before next spring? It's possible, I suppose.

But I don't see either one of them getting many game reps at QB for the next three years, because I don't think either one is on Kiehl Frazier's level.

Guest shadoww

does it not make u sleep well to know that even before the spring game, the hand picked wallace by loeffler is slated for safety or wide reciever, by more than 1 coach.

does it not make u sleep well to know that even before the spring game, the hand picked wallace by loeffler is slated for safety or wide reciever, by more than 1 coach.

Out of curiosity, where are you getting that he has been slated by any coach to play safety or receiver? I wasn't aware that they shared such plans with the general public...

Pretty amazing that the coaches would be saying this when they haven't even gotten him on the field as of yet for a real evaluation of what he can do...

And yes I do sleep very well knowing that this athlete will help AU win a lot of games over the next 4 to 5 years...

[shadow=red,left] <<< crickets >>> [/shadow]

Archived