Do you think any Freshman WR...

ProdigalSon1981

Will make an impact this year? Ricardo louis,JaQuay Williams,Sammie Coates,Jaylon Denson,Uzomah,Ricky Parks or Darrion Hutcherson. I know Uzomah,Parks and Hutcherson are listed as TE's Im just including them. Does the current WR set stand strong? My guess is Coates has the best chance for immediate playing time.Just guessing Blake,Reed,Bray and Coates will be starting depending on formation. Your thoughts? :believe:

I can really see Coates and Williams playing a key role this year. The rest will probably red shirt except Uzomah is a sophmore, and I see Hutcherson as a DE.

Uzomah is a sophomore. He played on special teams last year.

Yes, Coates has the best chance of any freshman to make a significant impact, but that goes hand in hand with the fact that he is the only redshirt in the bunch. Of the true freshman receivers, I'd say the one most likely to make an impact on offense is Hutch because of his size. He'd make a great target near the goal line.

I can really see Coates and Williams playing a key role this year. The rest will probably red shirt except Uzomah is a sophmore, and I see Hutcherson as a DE.

I don't expect to see Jaquay or Ricardo on anything but special teams for at least the first half of the season. We haven't had a true freshman receiver make a big impact on offense since Chizik got here. Closest thing to it is Bray last year; he did have 17 catches, but considering that he had under a hundred yards receiving, that's still not a huge impact.

Im just assuming Coates beats out Benton?

That may or may not happen; time will tell. Both have phenomenal talent.

I think you're right about that.

Coates seems to have the best chance to make an impact this year,imo. I think Louis and Williams are EXTREMELY talented but it'll be hard for a true freshman to make a huge impact. I think Hutch and Parks redshirt and Hutch eventually changes positions. Could be way off with all of these but that's my best guess.

I'm also excited about all the news we've heard about Coates. And it sounds like I may be in the minority but I think we'll hear from Jaquay a good bit--I remember seeing videos of him at summer camps where he just worked the DBs. And Ricky Parks continues to seem like one of the forgotten players of this class, but I think we may see him have some moments late in the season like Lutz did his freshman year.

Denson also played and did not use his red shirt unless I am sadly mistaken.

Denson also played and did not use his red shirt unless I am sadly mistaken.

It didn't even register that you'd included him, tbh.

Yes, Coates has the best chance of any freshman to make a significant impact, but that goes hand in hand with the fact that he is the only redshirt in the bunch. Of the true freshman receivers, I'd say the one most likely to make an impact on offense is Hutch because of his size. He'd make a great target near the goal line.

Played on Offense too. Threw a couple of passes. I think he might've been like 1 for 3 or something.

I think Uzomah moving to TE this year will allow him to break out. If he picks up the line blocking he could be a special TE.

Except he's not a freshman. :tease:

I think Uzomah definitely can break out, but it will be difficult to do so with Lutzie and Fulse already ahead of him in the pecking order. It does seem we will be utilizing tight ends more often this year, though, so who knows?

I think Uzomah moving to TE this year will allow him to break out. If he picks up the line blocking he could be a special TE.

Except he's not a freshman. :tease:

I think Uzomah definitely can break out, but it will be difficult to do so with Lutzie and Fulse already ahead of him in the pecking order. It does seem we will be utilizing tight ends more often this year, though, so who knows?

Haha duh!! I knew that! I guess I just saw his name in the thread and got confused. But yes as far as freshmen Ill go Ricardo Louis. He looked like a man amongst boys in his highlights

My D-Lo ship has sailed. Give Sammie a chance. Yes, both have phenomenal talent, but which of the two does it actually translate to the field of play.

If we're talking about true FR, I think Parks has a chance. Just going by the video I saw, Parks seems to have great blend of size, strength and speed. Of course, he will have alot to learn, but who knows?

My D-Lo ship has sailed. Give Sammie a chance. Yes, both have phenomenal talent, but which of the two does it actually translate to the field of play.

Dude, I've been on the Sammie Coates bandwagon since he first committed, because I was blown away by his combination of speed and height. Now that he's had a year in the program and has put on 25 lbs so he's not such a scarecrow, I absolutely think he gets a chance.

I'm just saying that while D-Lo hasn't lived up to his potential by now, and because of that the odds are kinda stacked against him, but that doesn't mean he can't have a great year. I'm not counting on it, but I recognize the possibility.

Amen to that Red.  We would be blessed for D-Lo to have a breakout year.  That really bodes well for us!!! Coates however could just be a game changer in the making!!!    :wareagle:    :tdau:

I agree completely.  I am off the benton wagon.  I would love him to prove me wrong, but a bust so far.  Only reason i know he is on the team is because stories about him in the news.  I also like D Hutcherson.  If he can catch at all and hits the weight room, he will be the TE the next 3 years.  He dominates blockers.  If he can catch at all, it means trouble.

People all seem to be so down on Benton but without him last year we lose to Florida and possibly south c. That barely makes us bowl eligible.Then  the general consensus is everybody loves Sanders but he's just as much of a bust as Benton is but nobody says that.I don't get it. I of course want guys playing to their potential as soon as possible but I want give up on anybody if it's just one great season I'll take it. Can't really fault a wr play from last year anyway,all the qbs that played made no more than two reads.Blackmon could have been the no.2 guy and he wouldn't have had more than 25 catches

People all seem to be so down on Benton but without him last year we lose to Florida and possibly south c. That barely makes us bowl eligible.Then  the general consensus is everybody loves Sanders but he's just as much of a bust as Benton is but nobody says that.I don't get it. I of course want guys playing to their potential as soon as possible but I want give up on anybody if it's just one great season I'll take it. Can't really fault a wr play from last year anyway,all the qbs that played made no more than two reads.Blackmon could have been the no.2 guy and he wouldn't have had more than 25 catches

Craig Sanders is a bust? What? Have you been watching? He's stuck behind a starter from the national championship team and an absolute freak athlete who had almost twice as many sacks as the entire rest of the defensive line did last year. He has been a force on special teams since the day he got here, making a name for himself doing exactly that on the national championship team (remember that fumble on the kickoff against Oregon? That happened because Craig busted his tail getting down there). And you think he's a bust? Really?

BTW, for the record, even from his backup role, Sanders still made 4.5 tackles for loss. That's good enough for fifth on the team, behind Lemonier, Eguae, Eltoro, and Bates.

Another thing: Craig has done EVERYTHING the coaches have asked him to, and he's done it with a smile on his face. He has put on an incredible amount of weight with very little to no effect on his speed and agility, so much so that he plays defensive tackle on passing downs to get another rusher in there.

Archived