More UGA players suspended????

Butthead

I live in Atlanta, and this story is going around over here.  Haven't heard it 100% confirmed, but the AJC is reporting it. 

Sounds like Richt really deserved that 5-year extension to his contract for running such a tight ship!!!

http://blogs.ajc.com/uga-sports-blog/2012/03/28/report-alec-ogletree-bacarri-rambo-suspended-for-multiple-games/

I heard the pot brownie excuse.  He should have done his homework before coming up with that one, because I've heard that unless you use regularly, even smoking a couple of times wouldn't stay in your system more than a day or two.

Is Georgia going to have a secondary to put on the field the first few games of the season? It's funny reading the comment section on the espn article. I still can't understand how thUGA fans can still defend Richt. Typical response "we don't have a problem players, we just punish them unlike every other school" :-\

I heard the pot brownie excuse.  He should have done his homework before coming up with that one, because I've heard that unless you use regularly, even smoking a couple of times wouldn't stay in your system more than a day or two.

1 time it stays for a day or two....anything more then that and it can easily store in your fat cells.....but you have a valid point there

another link  http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7752169/georgia-bulldogs-bacarri-rambo-suspended-failing-drug-test-prep-coach-says

I don't know about ya'll... but I'm looking forward to The ESPN Gameday Signage this year!

"Hey Rambo...Got Giggles?".... cutouts of Rambo (stallone) in a brownie outfit (girlscout)

Somebody ought to send a 50 pound bag of potato chips and a 50 gallon drum of Nilla Wafers for those potheads that get the munchies. These kids are embarrassing Georgia. Way to be great examples.

Somebody ought to send a 50 pound bag of potato chips and a 50 gallon drum of Nilla Wafers for those potheads that get the munchies. These kids are embarrassing Georgia. Way to be great examples.

I'm a college kid, and i don't smoke, in fact i'm in the process of applying to med school, and i would greatly appreciatie a 50 gallon drum of nilla wafers. dont waste it on stoners, waste it on me, a future functioning and contributing member to our society!

And yet many people--including on this board--continue to believe Richt is classy. I'm sorry, but things like this don't happen in such volume at a program that is run with class.

A lot of the fans over here in GA are beginning to turn on Richt.  If they don't have a great season, and I mean BCS major bowl game at the minimum, the fans are not going to be happy with 5 more years of Richt.  They are tired of the embarrasment that these players are bringing to UGA. 

Personally, I am loving it.  Other than the bammers, it couldn't happen to better school!!!

War Eagle!

1 time it stays for a day or two....anything more then that and it can easily store in your fat cells.....but you have a valid point there

don't believe every thing you hear. One time and it shows up in drug tests for a minimum of 30 days. they may have to do a blood test to get it, but it's there. Usually a urin test is enough though. I have seen many Air Force kids, get busted for poping hot on a durg test for pot and they only smoked it one time. don't believe that if you do it one time you will be clean. It's just not true.

Interesting note:  I saw a pr piece on one of the local TV stations in Atlanta this morning.  They compared UGA's policy on drug use to several other schools, including us and UAT.  They said UGA was the only one on the list they had that suspended players the FIRST TIME they were caught and that obviously made their issues look worse than it was relative to programs that did not.  

Hard to argue with that.

How does a local TV station in Atlanta know any University drug policy?

As far as drugs in the system in terms of testing....the tests can be sensitive enough to find a gnat's ass in a swimming pool. If they are testing for one thing in particular it can get that much worse. But smoking/eating weed can stay in your system anywhere from 30-45 days, even if it's just one time. The kicker is whether the test is sensitive enough to detect the lower levels.

How does a local TV station in Atlanta know any University drug policy?

I would guess that the folks in the SEC discuss drug policies from time to time and UGA told the TV station folks that when they asked about the rumors.  Is their info wrong?

don't believe every thing you hear. One time and it shows up in drug tests for a minimum of 30 days. they may have to do a blood test to get it, but it's there. Usually a urin test is enough though. I have seen many Air Force kids, get busted for poping hot on a durg test for pot and they only smoked it one time. don't believe that if you do it one time you will be clean. It's just not true.

Well, depending on the nature of the test, you're usually safe unless you smoke more than once a week. They start with a general (and cheap) Immuno-Assay urine test. Detection for one time use would be a day or two. If you have above a certain trace amount, you move on to the GC/MS (Gas Chromatography/Mass Spectroscopy), which is highly sensitive and can detect very low levels, but is very expensive. The IA urine test is also woefully inaccurate, so if you fail the IA, GC/MS is the next step to filter out false positives.

http://mrsec.com/2010/12/sec-drug-policies-arent-created-equal/

School

1st Strike

2nd Strike

3rd Strike

4th Strike

5th Strike

Alabama

None

15% of games

One year

Dismissal

—

Arkansas

None

10% of games

50% of games

Dismissal

—

Auburn

None

50% of games

Dismissal

—

—

Florida

None

10% of games

20% of games

50% of games

Dismissal

Georgia

10% of games

50% of games

Dismissal

—

—

Kentucky

10% of games

50% of games

Dismissal

—

—

LSU

None

15% of games

One Year

—

—

Ole Miss

None

None

Three games

—

—

Miss. State

None

50% of games

One Year

Dismissal

—

S. Carolina

None

25% of games

Dismissal

—

—

Tennessee

None

10% of games

Dismissal

Regardless if UGA has a strict policy or not, a large amount of their players still know the rules yet still choose to break them.

The AJC had an article as well http://blogs.ajc.com/jeff-schultz-blog/2012/03/30/georgias-problems-reaffirm-ncaa-needs-uniform-drug-policy/?cxntfid=blogs_jeff_schultz_blog  One thing of interest is that it is up to schools to test them... or not.

Georgia’s problems reaffirm NCAA needs uniform drug policy

2:15 pm March 30, 2012, by Jeff Schultz

ATHENS – It’s fair to start with this: There is no excuse for doing something wrong.

There is no excuse for stealing money from a teammate’s dorm room, just because you’re short of cash. No excuse for getting into a physical altercation with a girlfriend, just because there was an argument. No excuse for getting high, just because … well, just because. No excuse for exploring the cannabis culinary arts and eating Alice B. Toklas brownies, just because you were on spring break and you were hungry and, really, honest, pinky-swear, you didn’t even know that there was marijuana in them (uh, right.)

These are some of the reasons why Georgia coach Mark Richt has been suspending or dismissing players at an alarming rate lately – eight since January. This is when nobody seems to remember how many stars were by a recruit’s name on national signing day. Funny how that works.

Richt has a problem. But only part of it has to do with the fact that too many of his players are doing really dumb things. The other has to do with a somewhat unlevel playing field.

Georgia has a fairly strict drug-and-alcohol policy for its student-athletes, relative to most other universities, particularly those in the SEC. UGA suspends players for at least one game (10 percent of schedule) after the first positive test. A second positive test mandates a suspension of at least 30 percent of the schedule (or four games) for a non-controlled substance or 50 percent (six games) for a controlled substance or DUI. A third positive results in dismissal.

An examination of schools in BCS conferences by AOL/Fanhouse in 2010 revealed Georgia and Kentucky were the only two SEC members that suspended players following the first positive drug test. Only six of 68 programs overall do so (Baylor, Cincinnati, Miami and Virginia Tech are the others).

As a comparison, Florida has among the most lenient policies, with no suspension until the second positive test and no dismissal until the fifth positive.

How often and when, if at all, an athlete is tested also is up to each university. The NCAA, in fact, allows every school to set its own policy.

This is a problem. There needs to be uniformity among athletic programs’ drug-testing policy, not just within conferences but across the country. Anything short of that creates a competitive disadvantage for some.

Among those supporting the idea for uniformity is former Florida State coach Bobby Bowden, Richt’s coaching mentor, who was in Athens on Friday for a high school coaches clinic.

Bowden had a reputation for being soft in the area of player discipline when he coached. But he acknowledges he would have to be tougher if he coached now, saying, “I would have to do a better job of educating the young men, trying to expose them to things where they would learn some moral issues that maybe they missed in their home.”

He supports Georgia’s policy, but doesn’t seem surprised Richt is having problems.

“One reason at Georgia [that] you hear so many boys getting out of line is because they’re so dog-gone restrictive,” he said. “I know a lot of schools — I don’t want to say something I shouldn’t say – but [they] don’t have to drug test. If you don’t want your boys to be caught with drugs, don’t drug-test them. And some schools do that. If you have a strict program, the way our society is, you’re going to have kids [test positive].”

Asked if he supported a universal policy, Bowden said: “Yes. That would be fair. There’s no doubt about it. … Georgia needs to do what’s best for Georgia. And you’ve got to soothe your conscience that you’re not letting bad things happen just because you don’t think somebody’s going to find out. But there’s an advantage if you’re a school that doesn’t test.”

In retirement, Bowden is able to laugh about some things he couldn’t before, such as when Florida State players were found to be receiving free athletic gear from a local sporting-goods store. Borrowing the line from his former thorn, Steve Spurrier, Bowden cracked, “You’ve all heard of Free Shoes University, haven’t you? I had a slogan on my desk: ‘This too shall pass.’”

That is all Richt can bank on right now. And maybe hope for a quieter summer.

By Jeff Schultz

A lot of the fans over here in GA are beginning to turn on Richt.  If they don't have a great season, and I mean BCS major bowl game at the minimum, the fans are not going to be happy with 5 more years of Richt.  They are tired of the embarrasment that these players are bringing to UGA. 

Personally, I am loving it. It couldn't happen to better school!!!

War Eagle!

Actually, Georgia has gotten on my nerves more than Bama in the past couple of years--losing 5 out of 6 (with that one win being overshadowed by false accusations) does that to me. I honestly want to beat the Pups more than any other team this year--if they win, they tie up the all time series record! Anyhow, I'm cautiously loving all of this as they seem to be going through what we went through last year. Here's a quiet summer in terms of discipline problems.

Archived