Eagle Question

rophle

Is there an observatory to view the eagles now? I know the nest was tore down years ago, just wondering if there was somewhere you can see them at now.

Thanks.

The Raptor Center is in the process updating their facilities. There is a new welcome center in the amphitheater area for the scheduled visitors and planned programs.

Spirit, Nova and Tiger are housed next to the other "permanent" birds of prey (which are a hoot too) and the Hospital is across the field from the "permanent" collection. Don't think these birds are kept for no reason - they are maintained because they will not survive in the wild and/or will be sent to other protected avain centers across the country.

The Raptor Center is one of the hidden gems of this university which is widely recognized within their circles as one of the premier facilities available.

As for just dropping in - this is a working facility with duties to perform beyond the show and tell. I will check with the team who manages the center and see what their procedure is for general visitation.

They do a really great job and if you haven't gone to one of their release programs - they are worth the time. There was an owl release just last week at the Forestry Preserve on north College Street.

I'll update later today . . .

And this is why I love Auburn so much. The majority of the country knows about our athletics programs and the success thereof, but most don't realize exactly how good the quality of education is at Auburn. The vet college, the engineering program, the architecture program, the business school, the college of science and math...all are recognized as being among the best in the country. Stealthy is absolutely right that the Raptor Rehabilitation Center is a hidden gem, but the reason it's hidden is that there is a great deal else going on at the University in The Loveliest Village on the Plains.

I have another unrelated eagle question. Does anyone know what happen to the eagle statue that was in front of the coliseum? Do they plan on moving it somewhere else and if not, can I have it?

I have another unrelated eagle question. Does anyone know what happen to the eagle statue that was in front of the coliseum? Do they plan on moving it somewhere else and if not, can I have it?

Sorry I already have it.

Sorry I already have it.

Last I saw it, it was hidden by the woods, near the old track on Biggio (not kidding at all). I'm abroad and not on Auburn's campus this semester, so I can't confirm that it is still there. But it was at one point in time.

Is there an observatory to view the eagles now? I know the nest was tore down years ago, just wondering if there was somewhere you can see them at now.

Thanks.

I remember when I was in school and a freshman taking a bunch of the "U" core classes at Haley Center, the eagle's cage was right there on the concourse so I got to walk by and see it hanging out doing its thing daily. That was nice. Can't remember why it was moved - if there was a specific event - that prompted the safety concerns for the eagle (just 1 at the time).

The eagle and stand are dismantled and sitting behind concession stand at the old track.  I saw it this week.  I considered taking it.  It is really heavy.  I remember watching them set it there a while ago.  The used a crane to lower it behind the building.

Thanks.

I remember when I was in school and a freshman taking a bunch of the "U" core classes at Haley Center, the eagle's cage was right there on the concourse so I got to walk by and see it hanging out doing its thing daily. That was nice. Can't remember why it was moved - if there was a specific event - that prompted the safety concerns for the eagle (just 1 at the time).

I remember participating in Science Club events on campus in the 90s, and we always made sure to stop by the cage and view the eagles.

The Raptor Center is in the process updating their facilities. There is a new welcome center in the amphitheater area for the scheduled visitors and planned programs.

Spirit, Nova and Tiger are housed next to the other "permanent" birds of prey (which are a hoot too) and the Hospital is across the field from the "permanent" collection. Don't think these birds are kept for no reason - they are maintained because they will not survive in the wild and/or will be sent to other protected avain centers across the country.

The Raptor Center is one of the hidden gems of this university which is widely recognized within their circles as one of the premier facilities available.

As for just dropping in - this is a working facility with duties to perform beyond the show and tell. I will check with the team who manages the center and see what their procedure is for general visitation.

They do a really great job and if you haven't gone to one of their release programs - they are worth the time. There was an owl release just last week at the Forestry Preserve on north College Street.

I'll update later today . . .

Thanks for the info, always wanted to take a tour. I donate some money every year to the AU raptor center because they do one heck of a job need some support.

If you in town on Friday afternoon for a home game, you can be "up close and personal" with Owls, Falcons, Hawks and those famous Eagles.  4 PM at the Raptor Center's outdoor facility just off Shug Parkway near the West Samford intersection.

During the show they claim to see 300 birds a year!

Fun fact:  Spirit can't live in the wild because he flew into a patio door when he was young and damaged his beak (sound more recently familiar??).  You will notice his upper beak doesn't hook, he cannot rip meat. 

Several years ago while attending Auburn, I worked for a phone company and we went out to install a new phone at the raptor center. They were nice enough to offer to give the guy I was working with and me  a tour after we were finished. It was neat to see the vulture they had trained to go back into its cage when they said "kennel up."  They also showed us the eagle that performed at that time (forget which one). They keep a large camera lens pointed at the cage so it will get used to it, since, to the bird, it looks like a large eye. [insert "the more you know" shooting star]

Fun fact:  Spirit can't live in the wild because he flew into a patio door when he was young and damaged his beak (sound more recently familiar??).  You will notice his upper beak doesn't hook, he cannot rip meat. 

Yes,  I hear they get Alicia Silverstone to pre-chew Spirit's meat and spit it into his mouth. 

Yes,  I hear they get Alicia Silverstone to pre-chew Spirit's meat and spit it into his mouth. 

Okay, maybe I'm just dense, but I don't understand the reference there...

she chews up her kid's food and then feeds it to him/her.

Really? Okay, that's not weird...

I too was a student at a time when you could see the eagle just about every day.  One of the things I thought was cool was that the eagle was always named tiger and the previous eagles were buried in the aviary with a headstone designating their grave.  If I'm not mistaken Auburn's aviary was the second largest outdoor type in the country second only to the one at the San Diego zoo.  On game day of home games you could actually pet the eagle and get your picture made with him/her.  I have numerous pictures of my kids doing just that.  I miss those traditions.  I think all eagles are beautiful to watch fly/soar/glide but I don't enjoy it as much when the bald eagle flies as the golden eagle because the bald eagle is not our true mascot. 

The Federal governmentmade them move the eagles.  war eagle VI had a talon disease too that prompted the move

http://www.auburn.edu/student_info/plainsman/archives/042000/042000fwareagle.html

Then they quit flying the eagles for a year.  Auburn and the government then accused the raptor center of not properly caring for the eagles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_Eagle

Apparently all is well now. 

Archived