Why isn't there a statue of

auburn4ever

Coach Jordan? he made Auburn football what it is today. A Winner.

He has something more impressive!

A Stadium!

Seriously, agree with above post, seems like that would have already been done!

JoePa has one, drunk coach u of updyke has one. And there's no telling how mnay other coaches have one.

Shouldn't coach Jordan have a statue as well? no question about that. Yes he should. It's a crying shame there wasn't one in front of Jordan-Hare years ago. Ralph "Shug" Jordan is Mr. Auburn.

While we're at it, let's put a statue of George Petrie out there in honor of bringing football to the school, and one of John Heisman for being the most recognizable football coach to ever coach at Auburn, and one each for Mike Donahue, Terry Bowden, and Tommy Tuberville for going undefeated (Chizik's will remain on layaway until he retires), and...

While we're at it, let's put a statue of George Petrie out there in honor of bringing football to the school, and one of John Heisman for being the most recognizable football coach to ever coach at Auburn, and one each for Mike Donahue, Terry Bowden, and Tommy Tuberville for going undefeated (Chizik's will remain on layaway until he retires), and...

I will put a Mr. Potato Head outside the stadium next time I'm in town. Bowden statue solved.

Heisman did at least get a bust I believe.

And a statue of Nick Fairley, Tracy Rocker, Carlos Rodgers, Wes Byrum kicking the game winning FG, and Wade Christopher for being the best AU player to ever touch a football.

I defenitly believe a statue of coach Jordan should be on display. I also feel it would be fitting to have a statue of coach Heisman because, correct me if I'm wrong, Auburn is the only school he coached that has a Heisman winner, or in this case, 3.

There maybe a statue or statues in the works for one or all of the above mentioned. Sometimes there is a method to the madness. :dunno:

I don't understand how Coach Tracy Rocker doesn't have a statue. There are more Heisman winners than players who have won the Lombardi and Outland trophies in the same year.

more statues wouldn't fit into the theme of what's on hand & Heisman's bust is perfect. I don't see the need for a full blown statue... he was only at AU for 5 years, left for Clemson, & Georgia Tech is the only place he won a title. Anything more would be silly IMO. his bust is like a step leading up to the big 3.

do any of you really want the outside of J-Hare to look like this??

3548617540f130c1e415.jpg

adorned with every person who made a tackle, touched the ball, or guided a player? No rhyme or reason for putting it there?

I'm sure that after the next coach passes through AU & wins a title, something special will be done. Traditions like this aren't made without careful thought & planning put into it first.

How cool would AU look blinged up like this guy on gameday??!

090616bling3.jpg

Guys, we aren't going to so statues of the coaches. I was being extremely facetious. The only reason we put statues up at all was as a commemoration of the Heisman success we've had; if nothing else, we would never put up statues of coaches because of the one in Tuscaloosa and the fact that we don't want to be seen as copying Bama. I have more issues with it than that (I actually think the three statues we have up now are pushing it a bit, though I do like them), but that's a big one right there.

Guys, we aren't going to so statues of the coaches. I was being extremely facetious. The only reason we put statues up at all was as a commemoration of the Heisman success we've had; if nothing else, we would never put up statues of coaches because of the one in Tuscaloosa and the fact that we don't want to be seen as copying Bama. I have more issues with it than that (I actually think the three statues we have up now are pushing it a bit, though I do like them), but that's a big one right there.

FTFY

FTFY

just to be clear, you weren't a factor in my statement ;)

I don't need crayons or a highlighter to sniff out sarcasm  :tease:

FTFY

red does

Personally, I'd have no problems with us staying with the Heisman theme for statues and only the head busts for coaches....think that would work without us being said to be copycats.  JMHO (just my humble opinion).

War Eagle Everyone (WEE).

:believe:  :party:                    :wedance:                    :wareagle:            :zapbama:

FTFY

red does

At least I can still distinguish color.

FTFY

No worries, I wasn't talking to you with that part, I was talking to those who seemed to be feeding off of my comment. Completely slipped my mind to use yellow font though. :laugh:

FTFY

No worries, I wasn't talking to you with that part, I was talking to those who seemed to be feeding off of my comment. Completely slipped my mind to use yellow font though. :laugh:

I was just trying to lighten the mood with my Mr. Potato Head statue comment. I guess I should have put it in yellow.

but I did see your point, where should one stop with statues.

You don't need a statue when you have this named after you... Don't forget he was the first active coach in the US to coach in a stadium that was named after him.

fb-stadium-500b.jpg

FTFY

I was just trying to lighten the mood with my Mr. Potato Head statue comment. I guess I should have put it in yellow.

but I did see your point, where should one stop with statues.

Oh, I thought that one was hysterical! Not a much more fitting way of honoring Tater Tot!

And a statue of Nick Fairley, Tracy Rocker, Carlos Rodgers, Wes Byrum kicking the game winning FG, and Wade Christopher for being the best AU player to ever touch a football.

I do like this idea, but we need to ask Wade if it's okay to cast idols of him. He might not like it too much. :laugh::thumbsup:

my opinion ...

i am not a fan of naming anything after anyone nor having statues and the like.  i would prefer auburn tiger stadium.  i love that we kept it auburn arena.  no statues, no busts ... i am a fan of less is more.  because 100 years from now, who do those famous people have something to be named after? 

my opinion ...

i am not a fan of naming anything after anyone nor having statues and the like.  i would prefer auburn tiger stadium.  i love that we kept it auburn arena.  no statues, no busts ... i am a fan of less is more.  because 100 years from now, who do those famous people have something to be named after? 

I think the stadium name, and the field name, are quite fitting. They are a reminder of how we got where we are. Cliff Hare was a player on the first football team ever at Auburn, and would become the athletics director (in job, if not in title) as well as the first president of the Southern Conference, which later became the SEC. Shug Jordan built the football program after decades of obscurity, and Pat Dye took us to the level of being a consistent national powerhouse.

I mean, I understand what you're getting at with the Auburn thing and all, but these are some of the men who have made Auburn great long before we were ever thought of. When my nieces and nephews go visit the Heisman statues, my my mom and dad can tell stories about Pat Sullivan and Terry Beasley, my brother (who was conceived during the fall of 71, my father's senior year at AU, btw) can tell stories about Bo Jackson and his mind numbing speed and athleticism, and then when they grow up and have their own kids, they can relate those same stories, not to mention their own memories of The Blessed One.

Also, I wouldn't be terribly surprised if Auburn Arena wasn't renamed at some point or other. Jordan-Hare started off as Auburn Stadium.

Archived