Okay - I want to make a Statement here

chuck

One of our rivals (and the media's) favorite thing to do these days is to get on Auburn fans about how upset we were with CTT last year - and how we are off his back this year.

(note - yes, I realize there were many folks here who never even got on CTT's back last year - so I duly recognize this)

Back to my point. Let's look at the CTT years at Auburn.

1999 (5-6) big wins over LSU and UGA - big losses to Ole Miss and Alabama

-For the most part, this is a HUGE improvement over the mess that Bowden had left behind - CTT also brought in Daniel Cobb, Ronney Daniels, Ronnie Brown, Jason Campbell and Rudi Johnson this year - good news for a team losing Ben Leard and unable to amount any form of running attack for 2 years straight.

2000 (9-4) big wins over LSU, UGA, bama - big losses to MSU, FloridaX2, and Michigan in the Citrus Bowl. Again, a big improvement from the previous year - 4 more wins, SEC CC Game, New Years Day Bowl - and lo and behold, a running game - CTT signs a great class, including Carnell Williams.

2001 (7-5) big wins over #1 Florida, UGA - big losses to Syracuse, LSU, bama, and UNC (and someone else I can't remember). The first year we grow concerned - the offense doesn't improve a whole lot - primary proof in the bama and UNC Games. CTT responds by firing long time assistants John Lovett and Noel Mazzone - and making two FANTASTIC hires in Bobby Petrino and Gene Chizik. Ben Obomanu, Tre Smith, Brandon Cox, and Devin Aromashadu are signed - amongst others

2002 (9-4) big wins over LSU, bama, and Penn State - big losses to Arkansas, USC, UGA, and Florida. After early season failures - victories over a 10 win bama and favored PSU give reason for much optimism. Brandon Jacobs is signed. However, some concern is raised when after 1 year - Bobby Petrino is hired as head coach of Louisville. This is when CTT makes his fatal move.

Up to this point - we have seen mostly improvement out of CTT. His teams get better, and he is recruiting well. The post 2002 signing class is probably one of the weaker classes on paper - sure we signed Jacobs - but we missed out on a lot of local talent (Chad Jackson, Jason Swain, JeMarcus Russell, etc.). CTT goes and promotes good buddy Hugh Nall as OC and brings in HS QB coach (and good buddy) Steve Emsfinger.

2003 - HUGE preseason expectations - HUGE failure (8-5) big wins over Arkansas, UT, bama, and Wisconsin - huge losses to LSU, UGA, Ole Miss, USC, and Georgia Tech. We are DOMINATED by LSU, UGA, and USC. Our offense - complete with a 5* Jr. QB, 2 5* Jr. RB's, 2 4* RB's and a 5 and 4* WR is inept for most of the season. We don't score a TD for two games. We run the ball 5 times in the first half against UGA. JC (God Bless Him) spends most of the season looking like a deer in the headlights.

People - he DESERVED the heat he got. Up until this point, CTT earned his keep by recruiting well and letting his coaches do the heavy work. However, if he is going to do this - he MUST sign Great classes and hire great coordinators. He failed miserably here. He often showed disinterest on the sidelines and made statements that said absolutely no sense (maybe his neck problems were an issue here).

I am ok with a head coach as long as I can see improvements - however, this was such a miserable step back - I didn't know where we coudl go. Let's face it, the 2004 recruiting class reflected our failures in 2003 - and I think most of us feared a steamrolling effect. Going out and hiring someone like Petrino, and Keeping Chizik - would have revitilized our offense, program and recruiting.

Meanwhile, CTT continued to irritate folks by saying games against USC and GT were 'preseason' and not holding himself accountable for team failures.

Then CTT goes out and hires Borges - which was (at least to me) a complete mystery hire. But, my oh my, what a fantastic hire it was.

Now, we have gone back and forth as to WHY Borges was hired - no need to get into that here.

However, we see the results. Borges currently looks like a genius, doing what Mazzone, Petrino, Nall, and Emsfinger all failed to do - make JC look like a 5* QB. He also is using Carnell is Ronnie in the best way possible (a combined 1,355 yards rushing, 14 rushing TD's, 206 yards receiving, 1 receiving TD - to bad you can't give out a joint Heisman). CTT is taking responsiblity - he blamed himself for Carnell's fumbled punt against LSU, he blamed himself for the onside kick being a bad call against Arkansas, he blamed himself for the early insertion of our backups against UK. He is also getting these players fired up for EVERY SINGLE GAME - when our let down game is a 42-10 victory over an SEC opponent and scoring 21 in the 1st quarter - the man is doing something right. Meanwhile - Chizik is being Chizik. He said our defense would never be embarassed like it was against Arkansas in 2002 again - and he is right.

Personally, I think the night flight to Louisville was a wake-up call to CTT. I also think that the lack of neck pain from last year also helps. You can see him on the sideline SO much more active in the game then he was in previous years - and the players notice also.

Were we wrong (at least those of us who wanted him gone) to want CTT fired after last - no

Do I wish I can take back that wish, and that the flight to Louisville never happend - no

Am I happy with CTT and our coaching staff now - absolutely

Do I believe we have one of the top 3 coaching staffs in the SEC - yes

Will I be worried the next time CTT has to hire a coordinator - without question.

So - I hope this adequately explains the Auburn fans thought process to our rivals here on this board.

Good night!

Hear. Hear. I am happy now also. And I too believe that the wakeup call was heard. Now we are seeing AU football the way its supposed to be. And its nice to have a totally focused staff.

I am happy with the deal so far. I like CTT. He is a great part of the Auburn Family.

Next year will be a test, since it will be the showcasing of the poor recruiting classes in comparison to the first couple. I think the 2004-2005 class will be great due to the season that we are having. But as long as the Auburn program is on stable ground, then I am happy.

War Eagle! :au::big::cheer::au:

Meanwhile, CTT continued to irritate folks by saying games against USC and GT were 'preseason' and not holding himself accountable for team failures.

114492[/snapback]

Fair write up, but I strongly disagree with the not holding himself accountable for failures. After the Ga Tech game on his review show he said this one is on the coach's and that includes me. I also posted a article going into the Arkansas game where they pulled the qoute about him taking full blame for the last loss to Arkansas.

http://www.aunation.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=11859

i think it's a fair review, but i also think parts of it are really skewed. like the fact that EVERY loss we sustain post '99 is listed as a "big" or "huge" loss? if that's so, why aren't all the wins? or at least all the confernce wins? i'm sorry, the ole miss game last year was a painful loss, but it wasn't a huge one. we wouldn't have made atlanta win or lose. we didn't really lose anything in that game. or the michigan loss? we lost on two dropped balls (one by reggie worthy in the endzone, another by ronney daniels in the redzone) in the fourth. it was a feel good game. if you came away from that game saying that was a huge loss, i have no idea what game you were watching. or even the florida/uga losses in '02. granted either puts us in atlanta, but neither were blowouts and both were lost on flukes (well duval sucks so i guess that could've been anticipated).

AND i think you've pulled a bama in the overall assesment. you've completely under estimated the depth of the problems within the program when tubby took over. the 2000 season was a fluke. i don't think the team took a step back in 2001 b/c i don't think we were really as good as we looked in 2000. rudi was a total shock. to you, to the coaches, to the nation, hell to the nfl last year.

we were on a steady incline from the moment he took over until last year. coaches have down years. i promise you if tubby stays for another 6 years we'll have another year were we totally disappoint. heck bobby bowden still has those years. it was a combination of bad things. the coordinator hire was a poor one (most of tubbs coaches have worked out... he brought mazzone and lovett from ole miss where the schemes had worked), higher expectations than were realistic, loss of confidence against usc, the bad drop against ole miss. there were just a lot of little things that added up. he didn't deserve to be fired for his first down year. i'm sorry. i didn't think so then, and i still don't now. he just needed to replace nall and he did. great job, and he's brought a lot of class to the program.

chuck,

We have a history on this board that goes back a few years. But this post of your's has me scratching my head. You say:

... So - I hope this adequately explains the Auburn fans thought process to our rivals here on this board.  ...

And you give your reason for speaking out as:

One of our rivals (and the media's) favorite thing to do these days is to get on Auburn fans about how upset we were with CTT last year - and how we are off his back this year.

(note - yes, I realize there were many folks here who never even got on CTT's back last year - so I duly recognize this)  ...

And then (I guess,) to prove that our rivals (and the media) are wrong to harbor such a perception, you say this:

... Were we wrong (at least those of us who wanted him gone) to want CTT fired after last - no

Do I wish I can take back that wish, and that the flight to Louisville never happend - no

Am I happy with CTT and our coaching staff now - absolutely

Do I believe we have one of the top 3 coaching staffs in the SEC - yes

Will I be worried the next time CTT has to hire a coordinator - without question.  ...

:blink: Color me confused because some of your answers above contradict themselves almost as worse than any bammie could. (Note I said almost -- I could never call a fellow AU man a bammie.)

(1) You're unapologetic about wanting CTT fired last December yet, you are happy with CTT & the coaching staff now - 'absolutely.' How does that happen without first holding a huge banquet feast of crow?

(2) You believe we have one of the top coaching staffs in the SEC, yet you are worried about CTT hiring the next coordinator -- 'without question.' This, despite CTT being responsible for assembling this current staff & hiring the present DC & OC. The Borges OC hire was roundly criticized at the time by many a fan. Now, I hear they're selling 'Borges is Gorgeous' bumper stickers around campus. 20/20 hindsight? Can you say fickle fans?

I think everyone needs to step back a little and reasses just what it is exactly we want in a HC. If it's solely to oversee a football factory with lots of (small) student -- (large) ATHLETES just so that we can ensure annual 10-win seasons and be invited to bowl games ... count me out. Despite the wins during the Bowden years, I was extremely put off to read about all the off-season troubles happening with the football players he recruited. By comparison, the quality of recruits CTT is bringing to AU is not even close -- athletically, academically and on a personal morality basis as well. I want to see the scholarship athletes we recruit graduate and play on the field.

mcgufcm brought up a very good point about the disastorous state of the program when CTT took over. We need to give credit where credit is due. The turnaround of the AU program since 1999 is due to the efforts of CTT. There has been a seismic cultural shift since he arrived -- for the better. I see no benefit in constantly rehashing the mistake made by CTT in promoting Nall to OC last year. We know what happened. Everyone recognizes it as such, including CTT. But why focus on the failure of the Nall promotion and ignore the success stories of the Petrino, Chizik & Borges hires?

How's brother Saban doing this year? He's following a championship season and loaded with talent.

Is Georgia playing up to expectations? Florida?

We are playing in a tough conference against great coaches and players. The ball bounces this way and you're a genius, that way and what an idiot you are. It's unrealistic to think you can win 'em all every year. CTT's results were better than expected for his first few years. Things didn't improve, instead they slipped a bit.

Aren't we the Auburn "family?" What do you tell members of your family when they have a bad day or a bad year? "Hell son, if I were you I'd just get in the old Ford and drive her off a cliff." No. You provide support, encouragement and hope. We had a contract with CTT for several years. We should have expressed disappointment in his results but told him we were still behind him and to do what it takes to make us champions. I'm not so sure the result would have been different from what we got. Of course we wouldn't have embarrassed the university.

I'd like to have one head coach for twenty-five years. I can't expect that during that time, we won't have down years. I can expect on average to be one of the top teams in the SEC which would make us one of the top teams in the country. I'm impressed that CTT bothered to stay on as our head coach. I am more impressed that for two years in a row, NFL talent has stayed to play there senior years at Auburn. CTT is a lot like Auburn, and we need to appreciate him in good or bad years.

Chuck, great synopsis of CTT's career at AU, but I must also voice my opinion. I realized FULLY that Tuberville was not the problem last year. YES, he made a pitiful OC hire last year with Hugh Nall. But, hindsight is 20/20. It's easy to second guess him on a message board. Its much harder to go "balls-out" for one of your friends who (by the way, experts all agreed he was ready) says he's ready to be an OC. I think any AU fan that can see past their nose realized that firing CTT meant...

Early entry in the NFL for Carlos, Ronnie or Carnell, and many more.

Loss of Gene Chizik at DC.

ZERO recruiting buildup in the state.

Keeping CTT meant a new OC and getting to keep all of the above mentioned. Best of both worlds in my opinion. CTT was never the problem. Yes, he made a mistake, and he almost paid dearly for it. But, now he has made up for it by producing one of the greatest hires he could come up with.

I have and always will support CTT for head coach as long as he WANTS to be here.

Chuck,

You failed to mention in your analysis the great work this staff and players have done in the class room and for charity. The character of the program is better than anytime in the post "Shug" era. CTT also did not buy players to win, something that was going on before he was hired.

I have stated these things to CTT's defense last year and to his credit this year.

I also firmly believe that those who wanted CTT fired last year were WRONG! The reason was for a lack of wins. That is the poorest way to evaluate a program, but the only one which many "casual" fans know.

How much grace does CTT get next year when we are going to lose at least 4 games with our new and inexperienced OFF Backfield? (Rem LSU this year?) Not to mention that recruiting was hurt by the trip.

"The Trip" itself goes against everything that Auburn stands for. To defend it, those involved, and to say it was good in any manner is offensive and calls into question one's ethics. To credit CTT with responding courageously to the adversity he faced with gives credit where credit is due. I am sure that is what you meant.

I think your responses are all fair and warrant a response on my part:

1) mcgufcm - your point about big losses is absolutely right - I just started listing who the losses were.

2) mcgufcm - as far as the 2000 year being a fluke - I see where you are going with that and pretty much agree. I did not want CTT Fired after the 2001 season, even though it was disappointing - but I was worried about the OC position. I also fully agree that the team that CTT took over was in such disarray that 2000 was quite an accomplishment.

3) Texan4Auburn - point taken - but I do think there were far too many times where responsibility was pushed aside. The fact that failures in the USC and GT games last year were blamed on 'execution' and I keep thinking back to times that CTT laid blame on kickers (both at Ole Miss and Auburn) stay burned in my head because they left such a bitter taste in my mouth. HC's should ALWAYS take the blame in public - these are still kids they are coaching. All of that being said - CTT is doing an phenominal job in this department in 2004 and deserves praise.

4) AULoggerhead - okay - this one is going to be more tricky . . My frustration is that media and rivals portray the Auburn fan as this - we were losing last year so we wanted CTT fired - but now we are winning, so we love CTT. I don't think its nearly that simple. My point was that decisions that CTT made, combined with his style produced horrible results last year - in addition - based on his recruiting results (on paper) we were starting to move backwards - THAT is what the concern was.

5) As for the unapologetic about wanting CTT fired - there is a thread that I went back and forth with some folks on a few weeks ago which I think adequately explains in on my part:

http://www.aunation.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=11456&hl=

My point is (also relating to your 2nd point) - I do believe I was right about CTT needing to be fired, but the success of the Borges hire makes things right. Unfortuneately, I think Borges was hired for the wrong reasons. Therefore, I will be concerned when its time for CTT to hire a new cordinator. Will he take the time necessary and make hires like Petrino and Chizik, or will be put loyalty to his friends over Auburn and make hires like Emfsinger and Nall?

That all being said - with CTT heading the staff and leading the recruiting charge - Borges running hte offense, and Chizik running the defense - I am thrilled with our coaching staff.

6) Legal Eagle - yes, down years are expected - next year for example. But I do not expect down years to be when we return two senior NFL Linebackers, 2 junior NFL Running Backs, 2-3 NFL D Lineman, and a junior QB.

7) AURainman - I think we are probably going to have to just agree to disagree. I think CTT is completely to blame for last season's failures - because I feel that the Nallsminger fiasco is completely to blame. That was CTT's call - and if he is going to be a "CEO" coach - he better hire good VP's. I do agree about those drop off's - but I was willing to accept a weak 2004 season for long term progress (again - I felt the program was going downhill overall - not just one down year).

I hope that clarifies any confusing points there . .. many thanks for the non-inflammatory thought out responses . .

7)  AURainman - I think we are probably going to have to just agree to disagree.  I think CTT is completely to blame for last season's failures - because I feel that the Nallsminger fiasco is completely to blame.  That was CTT's call - and if he is going to be a "CEO" coach - he better hire good VP's.  I do agree about those drop off's - but I was willing to accept a weak 2004 season for long term progress (again - I felt the program was going downhill overall - not just one down year).

114595[/snapback]

I have never denied that Tuberville is to blame. I just think that he should be commended for realizing his mistake and trying to correct it. We were stuck at a crossroads at year's end, and I thought firing Tuberville would be the wrong decision. Tuberville made a MASSIVE mistake, but we ALL realize that in hindsight. There are many who realized it beforehand, but few were as vocal at that point as I assume you were. I think we can agree to AGREE that CTT made a mistake, I just refuse to make hindsight judgements on what had to have been a tough call. Second-guessing makes us all look like geniuses.

irnimrod - I will never question the level of player ethics that CTT Brings to our program - truly this has been a stellar part of the program since his arrival.

However, as I have said before - a performance like last year combined with good kids is not acceptable, just as winning a NC with a bunch of thugs is not acceptable either. As Auburn people, we deserve both.

However, as I have said before - a performance like last year combined with good kids is not acceptable, just as winning a NC with a bunch of thugs is not acceptable either.  As Auburn people, we deserve both.

114778[/snapback]

Chuck, I have to say I am happy you said the part about the thugs. I worry that some Auburn fans have a "win at all costs" attitude. I never want us to travel down that road.

I agree with you on special teams Chuck, our kickers in the FG area have not performed up to expectations or been consistent. Though sometimes it is execution to be fair. This year has had a rash of poor kickers and I wonder if part of that has to do with the limitations that have been put on practice by the NCAA, and if we aren't spending enough of our time on it. Which would be the fault of the coaching staff.

I also agree that even if it is poor execution that the coach should shoulder more of the blame than the player.

Archived