CBS projection for Auburn and team summary

Budapesttiger

I automatically write off any review that includes the assessment that we have an issues with depth at running back without Dyer.

Why?

To me depth means you've got experienced players behind your starters.  Our depth is inexperienced in the SEC, wouldn't you agree?  They have all the talent and heart in the world, but they haven't been baptized in the SEC fire yet.

I think bama has issues with depth at RB, LSU has none.

With the level of talent we have, back there, I'm not all all worried about game experience.  Dyer didn't need experience to blow up the Freshman rushing record.  Lattimore didn't need experience to carry SC on his back.  Not only that, but Grant and Blakeley have been practicing with SEC squads for over a year and even have experience with other teams.  The only one with absolutely no experience is Jovon and he may red shirt.

We've got 5 running backs that could start for any team in the country and be successful.  There is no way that is a lack of depth.

I automatically write off any review that includes the assessment that we have an issues with depth at running back without Dyer.

Why?

To me depth means you've got experienced players behind your starters.  Our depth is inexperienced in the SEC, wouldn't you agree?  They have all the talent and heart in the world, but they haven't been baptized in the SEC fire yet.

With the level of talent we have, back there, I'm not all all worried about game experience.  Dyer didn't need experience to blow up the Freshman rushing record.  Lattimore didn't need experience to carry SC on his back.  Not only that, but Grant and Blakeley have been practicing with SEC squads for over a year and even have experience with other teams.  The only one with absolutely no experience is Jovon and he may red shirt.

We've got 5 running backs that could start for any team in the country and be successful.  There is no way that is a lack of depth.

We've got tons of talent, I admitted that. 

To quote another AU poster on here a few days ago: 

"Whoever wins the main every down back (OMac doesn't qualify) has had less than 25ish carries in his career at best, the other 2 have zero carries."

I'm a Doubting Thomas by nature - can't help it.  I got to see it with my own eyes to believe it.  And after the dreadful showing last year, I'll have to see an awful lot to feel comfortable again. :-[

Talent of running back does not worry me. I think we have the talent regardless of playing time. The question is what kind of blocking they get to help make them good.

Talent of running back does not worry me. I think we have the talent regardless of playing time. The question is what kind of blocking they get to help make them good.

Oline production will be key for this offense.

People think we'll be mediocre because there's no objective reason to think otherwise. 

19 returning starters, a better defensive coordinator, a better secondary coach, a head coach who led the team to a national championship two seasons ago...

I understand what you're getting at, DCA, but there are plenty of objective reasons to think Auburn is going to be better than mediocre.

People think we'll be mediocre because there's no objective reason to think otherwise. 

19 returning starters, a better defensive coordinator, a better secondary coach, a head coach who led the team to a national championship two seasons ago...

I understand what you're getting at, DCA, but there are plenty of objective reasons to think Auburn is going to be better than mediocre.

Mediocre ain't what it used to be though.  At least not for the top SEC teams.

In the SEC today, 6-6 is poor - below that is piss poor (Ole Miss poor) :-X

7-5 is above average and 8-4 is mediocre

9-3 is good -   10-2 is real good  

11-1 or 12-0 is great and can get you to the BCSNC game i.e. 2012.

I just want to see a team that has their fight and confidence back.  Coaches that drive them into the ground during practice and demand that the players give their very best.  I want to see a team that freakin improves every single week.

I don't ever want to hear an AU player say that he didn't have to study the playbook last year because the scheme was too simple when the dang team ended up with the #78 ranked defense in the country and near the bottom in our conference. :banghead:

Guys, it's the question at QB- unknown starter for the fourth year- no one is going to rank us high with an unproven QB.

Let's prove it on the field.

It's a lot more than that.  UAT had an unknown starter at QB last year, LSU has one this year and both were projected in the top 5 for '11 & '12 seasons. 

Guys, it's the question at QB- unknown starter for the fourth year- no one is going to rank us high with an unproven QB.

It's a lot more than that.  UAT had an unknown starter at QB last year, LSU has one this year and both were ranked in the top 5 for '11 & '12 seasons. 

Like it or not until CGC proves he can win more than 8 a year without Superman everyone is going to question our team, I don't agree with it but that is the perception.

I am just ready for our players to get out there on the field this fall and play football the way we know we can play football. I'm ready for our team to go out and play with intensity and prove everyone wrong. I think our guys will show that we are ready for anyone that is on the other side of the LOS and we should be given the respect we deserve. Sept. 1st CANNOT get here soon enough. WDE

It's a lot more than that.  UAT had an unknown starter at QB last year, LSU has one this year and both were ranked in the top 5 for '11 & '12 seasons. 

Like it or not until CGC proves he can win more than 8 a year without Superman everyone is going to question our team, I don't agree with it but that is the perception.

You are correct sir.

The stakes are higher now than they've ever been in this conference.  To get respect you gotta produce better than 8-4.  No matter what some coaches achieve (crystal balls), they still have to prove themselves every year.   i.e. Les Miles' fans wanted his arse gone only a couple of years ago for going 8-4 in '08 and 9-3 in '09, after winning the BCSNC in '07.   :dunno:

I wouldn't lose much sleep over national or regional prognosticators. They spend about as much time looking at Auburn as they do at any other team (with the exception of those handful of perennial powerhouses from the past decade.) Most predictions have us somewhere around where we were last year. Without really analyzing the talent and coaching improvements we have gone through, it is hard to make any better guesses.

I will say, even though I expect Auburn to improve from last year by 1-2 wins, the SEC, and particularly the West are a bit difficult to guess. I can see any team losing 3 games, which is a bit of a departure from recent seasons. Every team has a number of vulnerabilities that won't be a simple fix.

All this to say, who cares what CBS or any other group says? Our boys are gonna play with a lot of heart this year, and will hopefully prove all the "experts" wrong.

I am just ready for our players to get out there on the field this fall and play football the way we know we can play football. I'm ready for our team to go out and play with intensity and prove everyone wrong. I think our guys will show that we are ready for anyone that is on the other side of the LOS and we should be given the respect we deserve. Sept. 1st CANNOT get here soon enough. WDE

I'd venture say no one wants Sept 1st to get here more than our Tigers!  WDE! :tdau:

Mediocre ain't what it used to be though.  At least not for the top SEC teams.

In the SEC today, 6-6 is poor - below that is piss poor (Ole Miss poor) :-X

7-5 is above average and 8-4 is mediocre

9-3 is good -   10-2 is real good  

11-1 or 12-0 is great and can get you to the BCSNC game i.e. 2012.

I just want to see a team that has their fight and confidence back.  Coaches that drive them into the ground during practice and demand that the players give their very best.  I want to see a team that freakin improves every single week.

I don't ever want to hear an AU player say that he didn't have to study the playbook last year because the scheme was too simple when the dang team ended up with the #78 ranked defense in the country and near the bottom in our conference. :banghead:

Didn't U of Ala go like 10-3 (5-3) in 2010, and still finish in the top-10 nationally?

We live in an ugly neighborhood. Prognosticators won't recognize us 'til we move back in. Once we do....

The number of returning starters, which does depend on how you count, is very encouraging.  I like our coaches, but "better" coaching is not objective evidence.  Yet.

Why?

When we (our defense) knock Mettenberger into next week and LSU has no serviceable backup, they WILL have issues!

Archived