2013 3* WR De'Runnya Wilson

ellitor

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Free from AUC

3-star WR De'Runnya Wilson from Wenonah in Birmingham, Ala., named Auburn his leader following an unofficial visit Sunday. He spent a lot of time with Gus Malzahn and Dameyune Craig. Full story coming soon.

Definitely been surprised we haven't targeted more WR's considering we lost JaQuay and we have no proven receivers

are we even trying with JaQuay anymore

Free from AUC

3-star WR De'Runnya Wilson from Wenonah in Birmingham, Ala., named Auburn his leader following an unofficial visit Sunday. He spent a lot of time with Gus Malzahn and Dameyune Craig. Full story coming soon.

Definitely been surprised we haven't targeted more WR's considering we lost JaQuay and we have no proven receivers

JaQuay signed a LOI with Texas A&M.

Free from AUC

JaQuay signed a LOI with Texas A&M.

Okay i wasn't aware

Free from AUC

Seems like I heard the coaches weren't as impressed with him as the previous staff was. And while we don't have any proven receivers, let us not forget that Malzahn has coached every single receiver on scholarship except for Louis, so he probably has an idea how much he can get out of them even if they aren't proven to this point.

Free from AUC

There are still a lot of good wide-outs on the board. Auburn has offered several. Time for CGM and CDC to start doing work!

http://auburn.rivals.com/quicklist.asp?Position=9&sport=1&school=7

What role are we trying to fill with Wilson? He seems to be a devastating blocker for a WR, but he looks a little awkward in his route running, and I don't know if I saw him catch the ball away from his body more than maybe once.

What role are we trying to fill with Wilson? He seems to be a devastating blocker for a WR, but he looks a little awkward in his route running, and I don't know if I saw him catch the ball away from his body more than maybe once.

He's very raw, which can be a good thing. Coaching him up should be easy. Gus loves blocking WRs. If he can learn to use those looong arms he could be the next Megatron. IMO

He's very raw, which can be a good thing. Coaching him up should be easy. Gus loves blocking WRs. If he can learn to use those looong arms he could be the next Megatron. IMO

Well, he compares in shear size. Calvin was a 5 star coming out of high school and highly recruited.

I agree with the need for blocking WR's, they have a big role in Gus' offense. And, someone that is 6'6" is an attractive target...this kid is huge!

Megatron ran a 4.33 at the combine and has crazy receiving skills. I don't think we are talking about the same type of receiver. If we get him, we need to hope he turns into an Anthony Mix guy. I think that is his upside.

Having a big physical WR to block down is important to Gus in his "Buck Schweeps"

De'Runnya has many things he needs to improve on to be a consistent player. His measurables are worth taking a shot on as long as you don't have an immediate need for him. He needs a redshirt year to get get stronger. He could easily play at 230Lbs and possibly get faster. Here's how I view him from his highlights...

Hands - Not SEC caliber (could get better with a year of coaching)

Foot speed - Below SEC caliber (strength and sprinting coaching could help)

Vertical jump- Upper SEC caliber

Blocking - SEC caliber (could be a dominate slot wr blocker)

Route running - mid high school level

I can not tell about much of his intangibles or his football IQ from his highlights but as I mentioned he needs a redshirt for sure. He needs to greatly improve his route running and his foot speed. If he wants to play in the SEC for a football school then basketball might have to be on the back burner for him. I can see him being redshirted putting on weight to get to 230lbs and if he doesn't improve foot speed over the course of the redshirt they will put more weight on him to get him around 255 and be a split TE in the slot. He can server a very important role in that if he can develp the technique to be an excellent open field blocker. I can see him possibly in that role around his redshirt junior year. Redshirt sophmore year can see him as a special teamer if he has the work ethic to get after it.

He isn't going to come in and be the man from day one. Look at DGB at Mizzou, he didn't blow everyone away despite being 6'6 running a 4.4 with an absurd vertical and good hands.

Wilson is a project player at best but he is going to be absurd when the project is completed

They were trying to put DGB more at TE early in the season rather than WR. Look at guys like Julio and AJ Green. They were 2 instant impact guys. I think a young guy in the right system at the right time can excel. Heck look at Johnny Manziel for instance. Showers was supposed to be the stud QB for A&M and when JM was named the starter in the spring everyone was shocked but he went and won the Heisman.

If this young fella is raw, he could be a candidate for a number of positions. If he actually filled out a 6' 6" frame he could be a TE. I know nothing about this kid, but I remember former players like Ratliff and Dansby came to school recruited to one position and morphed into something else. Could this also explain our hesitancy to re riot a TE?

If this young fella is raw, he could be a candidate for a number of positions. If he actually filled out a 6' 6" frame he could be a TE. I know nothing about this kid, but I remember former players like Ratliff and Dansby came to school recruited to one position and morphed into something else. Could this also explain our hesitancy to re riot a TE?

I honestly think we keep him at WR. It has been a long time since we have had a big go up and get it type of guy. I think if you pair him up with sammie and switch it up with louis and bray in the slot it could be very dangerous.

I honestly think we keep him at WR. It has been a long time since we have had a big go up and get it type of guy. I think if you pair him up with sammie and switch it up with louis and bray in the slot it could be very dangerous.

...and Melvin Ray. I think he makes an impact this year.

Im crossing my fingers lol. Isn't this supposed to be Deangelo Benton's breakout year also? :P

I do think Ray has a lot more upside than DB though or at least I hope.

I hate to hijack this idea, but I am glad you mentioned Ray. I think he could be a bit of a wild card this year. Kid has excellent athletic ability. With an off season of work and this offense, I think he is in a position to surprise some people.

I hate to hijack this idea, but I am glad you mentioned Ray. I think he could be a bit of a wild card this year. Kid has excellent athletic ability. With an off season of work and this offense, I think he is in a position to surprise some people.

I think that a lot of these guys, with the right coaching, can surprise people this year. We haven't had legit "coaching" in awhile.

Im crossing my fingers lol. Isn't this supposed to be Deangelo Benton's breakout year also? :P

I do think Ray has a lot more upside than DB though or at least I hope.

LOL @ the breakout year comment. Melvin Ray will only be a redshirt Sophomore though. ;D

Melvin Ray has soft hands and almost swallows the ball when he catches it with those big hands. Ray and Louis could be a heck of a dual threat in the game at the same time. I think both of them will have a good year with Gus's system. Both are tall and physically developed WRs.

If I am not mistaken Calvin Johnson was a 3* when he commited to GaTech. So this kid has raw talent and we have one of the best staffs in the country now. Bring him in and see what happens. Could be Optimus Prime cuz he would be playing for the good guys.

If I am not mistaken Calvin Johnson was a 3* when he commited to GaTech. So this kid has raw talent and we have one of the best staffs in the country now. Bring him in and see what happens. Could be Optimus Prime cuz he would be playing for the good guys.

+1

Archived