2013 3* WR De'Runnya Wilson

ellitor

If I am not mistaken Calvin Johnson was a 3* when he commited to GaTech. So this kid has raw talent and we have one of the best staffs in the country now. Bring him in and see what happens. Could be Optimus Prime cuz he would be playing for the good guys.

+1

Scout had him as a 5* . # 3 wr prospect

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I am not mistaken Calvin Johnson was a 3* when he commited to GaTech. So this kid has raw talent and we have one of the best staffs in the country now. Bring him in and see what happens. Could be Optimus Prime cuz he would be playing for the good guys.

+1

Scout had him as a 5* . # 3 wr prospect

Rivals had him as a 4* 37th in the nation and #6 WR

Well I lament! Point being, He wasn't #1 coming out of high school and not highly sought after so he went to GaTech. A triple option school even when he was there. So this kid has great intangibles and could be well coached.

De'Runnya has many things he needs to improve on to be a consistent player. His measurables are worth taking a shot on as long as you don't have an immediate need for him. He needs a redshirt year to get get stronger. He could easily play at 230Lbs and possibly get faster. Here's how I view him from his highlights...

Hands - Not SEC caliber (could get better with a year of coaching)

Foot speed - Below SEC caliber (strength and sprinting coaching could help)

Vertical jump- Upper SEC caliber

Blocking - SEC caliber (could be a dominate slot wr blocker)

Route running - mid high school level

I can not tell about much of his intangibles or his football IQ from his highlights but as I mentioned he needs a redshirt for sure. He needs to greatly improve his route running and his foot speed. If he wants to play in the SEC for a football school then basketball might have to be on the back burner for him. I can see him being redshirted putting on weight to get to 230lbs and if he doesn't improve foot speed over the course of the redshirt they will put more weight on him to get him around 255 and be a split TE in the slot. He can server a very important role in that if he can develp the technique to be an excellent open field blocker. I can see him possibly in that role around his redshirt junior year. Redshirt sophmore year can see him as a special teamer if he has the work ethic to get after it.

Similar observations here. Most concerning was catching the ball in his gut rather than with this hands. Surprised me a little as a basketball player, but presumably something that could be corrected by good coaching and much practice. Impressive blocking skills. Speed was average so would guess that he could potentially make a good receiving/blocking TE.

Why is there talk comparing this guy to A.J. Green and Calvin Johnson? Wilson is a project player that might develop into a serviceable WR or TE, depending. Green and Johnson are "once in a decade' type players. Wilson would have to undergo a reincarnation to reach their level.

Well I lament! Point being, He wasn't #1 coming out of high school and not highly sought after so he went to GaTech. A triple option school even when he was there. So this kid has great intangibles and could be well coached.

WHAT? they were not a triple option school then. Did you watch them play AU? I saw a great DB in Irons get beat again and again by Calvin Johnson. What are you talking about?

...Calvin Johnson played for Chan Gailey. The option didn't arrive at GT until Paul Johnson was hired in 08 or 09 (can't remember which).

You're right he wasn't #1 coming out of high school. He was nationally ranked overall #37 by rivals and as high as #15 nationally by others.

He was also rated the No. 1 player in Georgia, No. 12 in the Southeast and No. 37 in the nation by Rivals.com, the No. 7 wide receiver in the nation by SuperPrep. First-team all-state selection (Class AAAA) by the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. Finally, he was tabbed to the AJC's preseason Super 11.[3] By the time he was a junior, he was ranked as within the top 10 wide receivers and the top 100 players in the nation by almost every writer.[3]

Safe to say that every school in the nation on top of the southeast wanted Calvin Johnson.

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if the Kentucky BB game had anything to do with Mr. Wilson visiting this weekend. lol This could be good for us..

I Wish we brought all our top recruits that weekend. The arena will be rocking.

Auburn has all but stopped recruiting Wilson. It is very unlikely he will OV Auburn.

Reason?

Auburn feels good at receiver. and We are not recruiting him in Basketball. Miss St. is.

Figured...

He's had an offer since Sept 20th. I think 4 and 5* guys can play around a good bit. Players like Wilson that are projects should jump on an offer and stay committed, if that's what they want. Snooze ya' lose and Wilson has been snoozing for over four months now.

He's had an offer since Sept 20th. I think 4 and 5* guys can play around a good bit. Players like Wilson that are projects should jump on an offer and stay committed, if that's what they want. Snooze ya' lose and Wilson has been snoozing for over four months now.

Wilson has been a backup plan the entire time. He was a guy we were going to take if we flunked out on other receiver prospects. I dont believe that he would have been able to commit even had he wanted to earlier.

Wilson has been a backup plan the entire time. He was a guy we were going to take if we flunked out on other receiver prospects. I dont believe that he would have been able to commit even had he wanted to earlier.

And he actually did not get an offer til a month ago. When he did I edited the title to reflect it. That was done on Dec. 12 as seen on my OP

And he actually did not get an offer til a month ago. When he did I edited the title to reflect it. That was done on Dec. 12 as seen on my OP

I was going by your thread title "WR DeRunna Wilson.....has an offer." It's dated September 20th. That'll teach me to count on you being accurate! :)

I was going by your thread title "WR DeRunna Wilson.....has an offer." It's dated September 20th. That'll teach me to count on you being accurate! :)

Ok smart arse. lol

I am just going to throw it out there that De'Runnya was probably better at bball than most of our players so not sure why Barbee wouldn't want him

I am just going to throw it out there that De'Runnya was probably better at bball than most of our players so not sure why Barbee wouldn't want him

Apparently Wilson has a teammate Barbee likes better named Coleman.

Apparently Wilson has a teammate Barbee likes better named Coleman.

Coleman is a fantastic basketball player. Dropped like 40 something over Christmas break.

Archived