Who's Out There???

YaBoyMaxWeezy

Am I the only the one considering BVG for the HC? Kirby Smart seems to be a name that keeps popping up and for the record, I really like him too and think he'd be a great choice. Yet, another thought would be to promote him and completely revamp the offensive side of the ball. For whatever reason, this group just isn't getting it done. Gus is not a bad choice in my mind. Personally, I think the best bet keep BVG and Martinez on defense one way or the other. Kirby Smart would be an absolutely excellent hire. The way Auburn is right now though, they won't make that hire. I can't see Jacobs making that good of a choice.

BVG was the HC at Ga. Southern. It was a disaster. Some guys are just not cut out to be HC's.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just don't think any high profile coach would ever come to a place like AU. It's depressing going to the EA sports store in the airport and seeing no AU gear, most people haven't hear of us or know that we are from the state or AL, you watch SEC commercials and we get one pic, etc. all of you have noticed it and we are at rock bottom! If we want 8-5 next season, most of us would be ecstatic!

I am just curious as to how old you are Weezy? Ballpark it for me. How much Auburn football have you seen with all your vast knowledge and opinions on matters large and small? I am guessing you never even heard of George Jefferson much less Tucker Frederickson. Yeah, all true Auburn fans are upset but all this sturm and drang (look it up) over a few games. Auburn football is big and just cause you have only experienced a few years of it and are seeing a real low point the sky is not falling. Who knows about next season but count me in the presumed minority that think it will be better than 8-5 and would damn sure not be ecstatic if it was. Word.

If people want a realistic answer to likely the best solution then it is not Petersen or Patterson. They have shown many times they are not leaving their schools.The best realistic scenario IMO is Charlie Strong. Overhaul the offensive staff but keep BVG and the defensive staff/ That would give us our best chance of making a change but keeping the core of our recruiting class together WHICH WOULD BE VITALLY IMPORTANT. Plus Strong knows how to coach and recruit in the SEC.

I agree with this post

If people want a realistic answer to likely the best solution then it is not Petersen or Patterson. They have shown many times they are not leaving their schools.The best realistic scenario IMO is Charlie Strong. Overhaul the offensive staff but keep BVG and the defensive staff/ That would give us our best chance of making a change but keeping the core of our recruiting class together WHICH WOULD BE VITALLY IMPORTANT. Plus Strong knows how to coach and recruit in the SEC.

I agree ellitor about Charlie Strong. Our biggest problem will be Jay Jacobs when and if we are in the market to hire a new HC. I still believe Chizik will be the HC through 2013 unless something off of the field happens that causes him to be fired. But no matter if we are looking for a coach after this season, 2013 or 2020; if Jay Jacobs is the AD doing the hiring, we are at a huge disadvantage.

wde

UAT got top coach before they were willing to dish out lots of money and anything else he wanted. JJ doesn't want to dish out whatever it takes to bring in a REAL head coach who's a proven winner.

UAT got top coach before they were willing to dish out lots of money and anything else he wanted. JJ doesn't want to dish out whatever it takes to bring in a REAL head coach who's a proven winner.

AD Jacobs has a good coach. We've got a guy with multiple championships under his belt, and is highly respected by his players. What more do you want???

Mike Leach is my pick and here's why.

He's a big name with a different offensive scheme than most sec teams. We would recruit different players for our scheme for the most part and his system is known nationally so we'd draw national top tier offensive talent.

He'd have to build a good defense to compete year in year out in the sec but he could keep bvg and get that done and just let the guy coach his defense his way.

I agree ellitor about Charlie Strong. Our biggest problem will be Jay Jacobs when and if we are in the market to hire a new HC. I still believe Chizik will be the HC through 2013 unless something off of the field happens that causes him to be fired. But no matter if we are looking for a coach after this season, 2013 or 2020; if Jay Jacobs is the AD doing the hiring, we are at a huge disadvantage.

wde

I agree. I think Chiz will be at AU through 2013 because his buyout will drop some after next year, and the higher ups want to see what will happen next year when Chiz has experience and depth to work with. Practically everyone returns next year. If he has another bad year next year, he's a goner. Then maybe we can dream Big and throw some serious $$ at Pete Carroll when he finally gets bored with Seattle. If not, I vote for C. Strong

Folks.... Auburn is big time sec program.... Very attractive job.

Ya... but it has alot of negatives going for it atm when trying to lure someone in.

Tuberville has a losing season and is fired/resigns. Then Chizik has his first losing season in his time here and we fire him? Then combine that with the competition of the conference and the SEC west. Then you have to directly compete with what can be argued as the best program in the country 3 of the past 4 years right up the road. Then you also have to fight the states media and you're own administration.

Then you got things like house, cars, etc etc kids tuition (private/college) you are either paying for or about to pay for and the fanbase and administration won't even let me get though with a first class of my seniors. No thanks.... not in this economy. I'm sticking where I'm winning and have some security.

Like I said elsewhere, we would of run Spurrier off and called him washed up in his third season at South Carolina.

We are a attractive job but unfortunately we have alot of pitfalls whether people want to admit it or not that does not make us worth jumping ship elsewhere for.

Now if Chizik bombs next year... with groups that will consist of alot of juniors and experienced backups. Then I think we are getting safer to make the move.

If I recall correctly, we should have lost to Utah ST and Miss St if not for a on sides kick and bad play call. I am sure there are more but those are the two I remember most. We were destroyed against LSU, ARK, ALA, GA and could have easily lost to USCe and Florida. I see that as the first really bad year. this season is teetering on atrocious, honestly.

Where are we headed?

Proof is in the product and from what I see this slide goes straight to the bottom. Completely unacceptable for Auburn.

I, for one have lost faith in our Coach and so have many players IMO. I am saddened to the core about this because I really like CGC, he is a great man but a not so great head coach.

wde

I agree. I think Chiz will be at AU through 2013 because his buyout will drop some after next year, and the higher ups want to see what will happen next year when Chiz has experience and depth to work with. Practically everyone returns next year. If he has another bad year next year, he's a goner. Then maybe we can dream Big and throw some serious $$ at Pete Carroll when he finally gets bored with Seattle. If not, I vote for C. Strong

Pete Carroll. Now there is a name I haven't thought about. Interesting.

Seriously someone convince me how Charlie Strong is good enough for Auburn? His record doesn't show it. I like the West Virginia coach. I believe him plus BVG would be beautiful.

I'd swallow that 7.5 mil buyout, we gonna have to fire him sooner or later, might as well be sooner while Petrino has no current job.

NWIH! I won't support that move at all!

I will. If they dropped chiz and his boys at the end of the year. I will send my paycheck to the alumni assoc.

Selling your soul to bring that ass hat would be suicide. Just ask the Falcons and Hogs.

I understand your not wanting to hire Petrino, morally. But as a coach I think there are very few better. Where was Louisville and Arkansas before Petrino?

Charlie Strong? Wasn't he a D Cord before Louisville and didn't he succeed with Petrino's recruits?

Patterson and Peterson? Not leaving

Do not want an up and coming, unproven head coach anymore PERIOD! No more experiments.

Let's look at Arkansas this year without Petrino. The exact same team as last year but much different results. He built Ark and L'ville with 3 star recruits imagine what he could do with what is at Auburn. I am sure he has leaarned from his mistakes, I remember getting my second chance and I learned and haven't looked back. I just see this as a good fit when I look beyond my holier than thou train of thought. Just sayin

I'd swallow that 7.5 mil buyout, we gonna have to fire him sooner or later, might as well be sooner while Petrino has no current job.

I will. If they dropped chiz and his boys at the end of the year. I will send my paycheck to the alumni assoc.

Selling your soul to bring that ass hat would be suicide. Just ask the Falcons and Hogs.

I understand your not wanting to hire Petrino, morally. But as a coach I think there are very few better. Where was Louisville and Arkansas before Petrino?

Charlie Strong? Wasn't he a D Cord before Louisville and didn't he succeed with Petrino's recruits?

Do not want an up and coming, unproven head coach anymore PERIOD! No more experiments.

Let's look at Arkansas this year without Petrino. The exact same team as last year but much different results. He built Ark and L'ville with 3 star recruits imagine what he could do with what is at Auburn. I am sure he has leaarned from his mistakes, I remember getting my second chance and I learned and haven't looked back. I just see this as a good fit when I look beyond my holier than thou train of thought. Just sayin

Yes but what is Petrino's record against Alabama and LSU?

Petrino is a great coach. Not one person is denying that. It's the other things associated with him that are concerns. Mom's send their kids off to college, and in a lot of cases are a major reason why kids go where they go. How many Mom's do you think would look negatively on Petrino for what he did at Arky? I mentioned it earlier....look at his track record. Left Louisville in the lurch to take the Falcon job. Left Atlanta, in the middle of the night, before he finished his first season with them. Then did what he did at Arky to Arky. He has had three HC jobs and dumped on each one in some form or fashion. I just don't get all of the love for Petrino, looking at his track record. Everybody is entitled to their opinion. I just don't get it though.

Fire Jacobs Monday. Hire Carroll Dec. 31st.

Mike Gundy, Oklahoma State (as recommended in a previous thread.)

Lateral move, at best, for him IMO. I know people will freak for me saying that, but.........

Lateral move, at best, for him IMO. I know people will freak for me saying that, but.........

Our beat writers would love him compared to Chiz's vanilla cookie cutter interviews

Archived