Who's Out There???

YaBoyMaxWeezy

What about yabo dabo do....I know he is a bammer....but those kids flat out play for the man and he is a Hell of a recruiter....firey coach who shows how much he loves what he does....younger guy who can identify with college kids....I think he could do some scary good stuff with the talent we have on the plains...I know it won't be popular here but he has proven he can compete in the sec....

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also Charlie Strong is (19-13) as a head coach, not sure why there is so much hype on him

Given the disaster he picked up at Louisville 19-13 is a good record.

Pete Carroll is the kind of name that would make a difference. That's thinking big and that's the kind of thing Auburn needs to do now. Again, no more of this crap trying to luck out finding a great coach out of nowhere. I think it's high time Auburn hire a HC that has been great everywhere in college at least he went. It's time Auburn brought in a huge name and took the fight to another level!

Pete Carroll is the kind of name that would make a difference. That's thinking big and that's the kind of thing Auburn needs to do now. Again, no more of this crap trying to luck out finding a great coach out of nowhere. I think it's high time Auburn hire a HC that has been great everywhere in college at least he went. It's time Auburn brought in a huge name and took the fight to another level!

That "huge name" will get us put on probation and get out while the gettins good. We can do better.

On second thought Dana Holgorsen would be a great pick. He would be perfect for Kiehl Frazier and turn him from a flop to Geno Smith Part 2

If I can't have Gundy, I'll take his former OC of Dana Holgorsen. However, I think Jonathan Wallace would really excel under him more than Kiehl.

NO WAY would I ever want Pete Carroll at Auburn. If we did that, we might as well call the NCAA and let them set up shop close by, because it won't be long before we would be in trouble with him. NO thanks...

If I can't have Gundy, I'll take his former OC of Dana Holgorsen. However, I think Jonathan Wallace would really excel under him more than Kiehl.

Absolutely NOT to Gundy or Holgorsen. Gundy is a pretty decent coach but I don't think his personality fits very well at Auburn. Perhaps he could, who knows. Holgorsen? No thanks. We are already complaining every week about the defense. It would be worse under Holgorsen. Just look at WVU. Not at all interested in Holgorsen.

Where was Pat Dye when Auburn hired him? Tuberville?

Somebody joked about Utah State's coach, but that's a damn fine suggestion. Auburn's best chance is to find someone who is winning where it's not so easy to win. (Charlie Strong is also a great idea, and he sure as hell is qualified. Louisville has turned around in two seasons.)

Bama's score with Saban is rare. An NC coach is almost never available when he's still good. Holgorsen has to figure he has a good set-up right now at WVU. We need to look at the WAC, the Sun Belt, and the MAC, and see who's doing great work.

I'd swallow that 7.5 mil buyout, we gonna have to fire him sooner or later, might as well be sooner while Petrino has no current job.

NWIH! I won't support that move at all!

I will. If they dropped chiz and his boys at the end of the year. I will send my paycheck to the alumni assoc.

Selling your soul to bring that ass hat would be suicide. Just ask the Falcons and Hogs.

I understand your not wanting to hire Petrino, morally. But as a coach I think there are very few better. Where was Louisville and Arkansas before Petrino?

Charlie Strong? Wasn't he a D Cord before Louisville and didn't he succeed with Petrino's recruits?

Patterson and Peterson? Not leaving

Do not want an up and coming, unproven head coach anymore PERIOD! No more experiments.

Let's look at Arkansas this year without Petrino. The exact same team as last year but much different results. He built Ark and L'ville with 3 star recruits imagine what he could do with what is at Auburn. I am sure he has leaarned from his mistakes, I remember getting my second chance and I learned and haven't looked back. I just see this as a good fit when I look beyond my holier than thou train of thought. Just sayin

Yes but what is Petrino's record against Alabama and LSU?

CGC record against Georgia, LSU, and Alabma?

3-6 heading into this year. It is now up to 3-7 and highly likely to move to 3-9.

I truly hope it is 5-7 by the end of this year but I am just not seeing the possibility.

Several good candidates have been mentioned in this thread.

Pete Carroll is a proven big-time college football coach. He would be an incredible hire.

Dana Holgorsen would also be a great pick. With him and VanGorder, we could be like Florida in the 90s with Spurrier and Stoops.

Guys, it's been said. The new HC won't be the HC for an NFL team, for Boise, TCU, OKState, WVU, or some other program that's just doing terrific.

The new HC will have to come from below the Auburn level. Chizik was a coordinator. Tuberville went from Colorado St to Ole Miss. Bowden was 1-AA. Dye was at Wyoming. Barfied was... who cares? Look around the SEC. Saban hires are rare, but Saban was unhappy. Muschamp was an assistant. Richt was an assistant. Spurrier was hanging around. Petrino was unhappy. The only big-time SEC coach who had been coaching at another BCS program is Miles -- and LSU was a huge step up from OKState. (A bigger step than is the case now.)

Get real, people.

Guys, it's been said. The new HC won't be the HC for an NFL team, for Boise, TCU, OKState, WVU, or some other program that's just doing terrific.

The new HC will have to come from below the Auburn level. Chizik was a coordinator. Tuberville went from Colorado St to Ole Miss. Bowden was 1-AA. Dye was at Wyoming. Barfied was... who cares? Look around the SEC. Saban hires are rare, but Saban was unhappy. Muschamp was an assistant. Richt was an assistant. Spurrier was hanging around. Petrino was unhappy. The only big-time SEC coach who had been coaching at another BCS program is Miles -- and LSU was a huge step up from OKState. (A bigger step than is the case now.)

Get real, people.

I'm just going to agree to disagree with you. I'm tired of that kind of hire. Charlie Strong is also a big time hire and I'd be thrilled with his hire. I think we can get a big time coach. I don't see why not. I, however, do consider some of the assistants big time names. As I have said earlier, I think Kirby Smart would be a fantastic hire. There are plenty of productive people out there who would get the job done. We just have to be willing to get them. I'd love to at least go after Peterson at Boise St. I don't see the problem with trying. The attitude that they won't come out here anyway if they're a big name just seems so defeating in my mind.

How much $ do we have? well I'll put it this way. If we can pay Tuberville 6.1 million to hit the road, then I'm pretty sure we can pay Chizik his buyout. We might even be able to get it down a million 6.5 or 6 million.

I agree on Strong. I suppose I didn't think of the Big East as a BCS conference! And I'm game for trying Boise and TCU -- but those guys have turned down Auburn-level opportunities. I think we're far more likely to succeed with someone who's winning at a lower level of FBS football.

Who's doing great right now?

Meyer... available because he was out of coaching

Fisher... hired from an assistant

Dabo (hate to say it)... assistant

Saban... worked his way up to LSU, then unhappy

Spurrier... left Florida, failed in NFL

Petrino (was)... Louisville

Gundy... I have no idea

Patterson... assistant

Kelly (Oregon)... assistant

Kelly (ND)... MAC, then Cincy

Bielema... assistant

Hoke.... SDState

Almost without exception, highly successful coaches in big-time programs are either assistants or coaching at a lower level before their hires.

I would hope that the powers that be would give Chris Petersen a call and flat out ask him what it would take for him to leave Boise State and come to Auburn. If we would do what uat did when they hired saban, I have no doubt we'd get THE BEST head coach out there. I'd also want them to give Gary Patterson a call and ask him the same things.

Get real, people.

I'm just going to agree to disagree with you. I'm tired of that kind of hire. Charlie Strong is also a big time hire and I'd be thrilled with his hire. I think we can get a big time coach. I don't see why not. I, however, do consider some of the assistants big time names. As I have said earlier, I think Kirby Smart would be a fantastic hire. There are plenty of productive people out there who would get the job done. We just have to be willing to get them. I'd love to at least go after Peterson at Boise St. I don't see the problem with trying. The attitude that they won't come out here anyway if they're a big name just seems so defeating in my mind.

I'm not sold yet on Charlie Strong. No doubt he was a top coordinator in the country when he became head coach at Louisville. But, so far he's turned in two 7-6 seasons there. He does have Louisville 5-0 right now this year, so perhaps he is developing those players and they are improving the caliber of players they have there. I think I need to see more from him before I consider him qualified to be a HC in the SEC.

Kirby Smart? No way would I want him. All people did when Chizik was hired from Iowa State is bitch about his record. Now, your suggesting we go after someone that has never been a head coach anywhere and let his first HC job be in the SEC?? NO thanks. I realize florida did this with Muschamp, but I'm still of the opinion that Muschamp won't last at Florida more than 5 years.

I do agree that we need to change the attitude about who we go after. One thing we can guarantee, is that they won't come if they aren't asked. I would love to have Chris Peterson here at Auburn. Put a fat contract in front of him and make him say no. After he does, wait a few days and put it in front of him again. He's one out there that I believe has the personality to fit at Auburn and is a damn fine football coach. That would definitely be a BIG TIME HIRE.

already asked Patterson. he said no. Someone that can coach and no one is mentioning, David Cutcliff. Also, the coach at Stanford. He is from the school of pound the rock, throw to your tight ends and air out long passes to Wide Receivers. He plays in a tough conference and does pretty well from a competitive standpoint, with his hands tied with the restrictions to get into Stanford. He should be first on the list, the rest aren't coming, and I'm not sure if he would. Cutcliff would, but you have to do your home work as an AD to find the diamond in the ruff. Chip Kelly was a nobody. Our AD is willing to put in the effort.

This has been a pretty entertaining thread so far. Some great posts and some very silly posts.

First of all, I think we can be great again with Chizik as head coach. He's my first choice for head coach in 2013 and beyond. Surrounded with the right people, he is the man. BVG looks to be making progres, but CSL is AWFUL. He is clearly dragging this program down. (Bash away if you disagree, maybe I've missed something).

But, if we were indeed looking for a new head coach, what are we looking for? Well, let's ask - What are we trying to do as a football program? It pains me to say it, but what we are trying to do is- Compete with and beat Alabama. And right now, we are light years behind them. (Disclaimer- I'm not a Bammer, I'm an AU alum '04).

Saying that, my top 3 options for HC would be:

1. Charlie Strong - this dude would do great things at AU

2. Chris Peterson - why is he not leaving Boise? His derp QB who won all those games against the WHACK is gone.

3. Pete Carroll - sounds crazy, I know. But he did build a juggernaut at SC.

And yes, HC at AU is a very prestigious job. I guess that's just my opinion, but you can't convince me it is not.

Assuming it's someone at a "lesser" school, you're not likely to get a better record than Charlie Strong. Why? They get hired as soon as the program turns around.

Brady Hoke at Ball State is an extreme example, but he went 4-8, 2-9, 4-7, 5-7, 7-6, 12-1. At SDSU, 4-8, 9-4.

Archived