Men vs. Kentucky Game Thread

WarTiger

Not handling the big stage at all tonite....we are better than this...missing open jumpers...this is probably our best chance to beat Ky in years and need to take advantage of it.

Earlier in the season I would have agreed with you but KY has gotten better.

Their talent level has always exceeded ours...but our seniors should have stepped up tonite....as I said, missing open jumpers, espec. early...has nothing to do with how good Ky is. Ky will get their points...they have guys that can make open shots. Clinic here...

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we all expected a better performance tonight than what we've seen. This is not the same team we saw play the last 3-4 games.

They look like their legs are not under them. Not a good sign when playing a team like Kentucky. Needed to hit all those 3's early in the game but it just was not meant to be. (YET!!!)

This is awful. Some nights the shots just don't fall but tonight it's also been extremely sloppy all-around.

Even a bad UK team is better than all but a couple SEC teams. Only two really decent teams are UK and UF..

The good news for AU is that the rest of the league is also so bad that we will win some games against the other bottom feeders. As a league, the SEC is really headed south in basketball.

I think we all expected a better performance tonight than what we've seen. This is not the same team we saw play the last 3-4 games.

hey look like their legs are not under them. Not a good sign when playing a team like Kentucky. Needed to hit all those 3's early in the game but it just was not meant to be. (YET!!!)

That Arkansas game was just too brutal for a team with no depth. These kids seem tired to me. There's just no spark.

Guest jojo1515

Down by 20 with just over 6 to go at home. Game over. Maybe we can squeak out 7 SEC wins this year. Just maybe if we try real hard. Outmanned, outcoached, outplayed and outhustled. Down by 26 now. Disgusting level of beatdown witnessed tonight.

Wow, that Kentucky player just drove down the middle of the lane and no AU player within 4 feet of him. :o

Yep.

The longer I watch the more I am convinced that we are just out of gas. Not trying to make excuses for the performance but we need a little time to rest up and regroup.

Reality is a mutha. We are just not ready to play with the bigs on an every game basis. Gotta keep chopping wood.

WAR EAGLE!!!

"Best Auburn basketball team in years" my ass. This team is not good. Sick of the excuses. Nights like this just push me over the edge. Sorry for the rant, just frustrated with the state of Auburn athletics.

Absolutely embarrassing...Every time I get excited about basketball, they always seem to disappoint. We will never have a good program if we can never win one of these types of games. Our guys came out nervous and timid, and they played not to loss. Terrible performance all the way around. Very, very frustrated right now. The players cannot complain about the crowd ever until they prove they can play well on a consistent basis. We had more defensive break downs this game than we have had the whole season. I was really looking forward to this game, and it just took the wind out of my sails for this season...I think I covered it all

Here's a discouraging thought, if anybody needs one. Sullivan, Chubb, Payne, Denson and Wallace, pretty much the nuts and bolts of this team, were all brought to the team by Lebo. Where will Barbee be next year when he has to live mostly off his own recruits?

Here's a discouraging thought, if anybody needs one. Sullivan, Chubb, Payne, Denson and Wallace, pretty much the nuts and bolts of this team, were all brought to the team by Lebo. Where will Barbee be next year when he has to live mostly off his own recruits?

We will miss Sullivan, but we will not miss Chubb or Wallace next year. Next year, Price, Johnson, and Greene Jr. will all have a season under their belt. We will have K.T. Harrell whom I think is better than Sullivan based on everybody raving about him. Denson and Payne return. We will have ADT with a year under his belt, and with the kids coming in, I really like the future of this team. I don't know what is so discouraging about that thought. We will have a lot more talent in the coming years than we ever thought about having under Lebo. Those guys were the nuts and bolts solely because of their experience. I do see where your concern is coming from, though.

1.) I think Denson was a Barbee recruit

2.) I agree we played like shat, but the players you just mentioned sorta blew it tonight (besides Sullivan). I dont try to be mean when I say this but Im looking foward to not having Lebo's players (except Sullivan).

3.) When we finally get a point guard that poses a scoring threat we'll be wayyyy better on offense (insert Tahj Shamsid-Deen)

4.) And next year we'll have an experienced ADT (already better than Chub), an experience Shag Johnson, an healthy Jordan Price, a point guard in Denson (if his grades allow), and KT Harrel (a sharpshooter)

Sorry for my long reply but I seriously see a bright future aheadfor this team...I know yall hate when people say this, but we just have to be patient

1.) I think Denson was a Barbee recruit

2.) I agree we played like shat, but the players you just mentioned sorta blew it tonight (besides Sullivan). I dont try to be mean when I say this but Im looking foward to not having Lebo's players (except Sullivan).

3.) When we finally get a point guard that poses a scoring threat we'll be wayyyy better on offense (insert Tahj Shamsid-Deen)

4.) And next year we'll have an experienced ADT (already better than Chub), an experience Shag Johnson, an healthy Jordan Price, a point guard in Denson (if his grades allow), and KT Harrel (a sharpshooter)

Sorry for my long reply but I seriously see a bright future aheadfor this team...I know yall hate when people say this, but we just have to be patient

I see a team transforming and I believe the future is bright. But we have got to get attrition under control.

War Eagle!!! :wareagle:

I don't think it's a matter of "whose recruits" are playing. If you look around, the better basketball teams usually have a core of juniors and seniors. Experience means a lot and Lebo's guys are the most experienced players...even if they are not the most talented on an individual basis. Experience and the cohesion that comes from playing many games together means a lot. Look at UNC...they have a world of talent....much more than AU..but not much experience or leadership...and they are struggling and UK with all their talent is not what it has been in the past few years.

As noted above, the attrition of TB's early recruits means that Lebo's guys are the experienced players and that's just the way it is. Trouble is, only one of the experienced guys can be counted on to do any scoring (Sullivan) and the others mostly supply some poise and play defense.

JMO, but the young guys were overwhelmed by the "moment" last night. During the past couple weeks, when Sullivan was off, someone else would take up the slack...but to restate the obvious, Sullivan had a poor shooting night and no one else stepped up. UK brought their "A" game in the second half and we had no answer on either end of the floor. Meanwhile it appeared that Sullivan tried to take the entire game on his shoulders last night and it did not work.

To address Mikey's point, as our young and more talented guys get some experience, they are going to be much better and it's going to pay off in more consistent play and better results. It's just one game...there are many more to play and hope the fans don't quit on the team because of this game.

Our guys just didn't show up. I am not sure if it was from the tough loss the other night. I'm not sure if it was because we were playing UK. That was just an ugly performance. The good thing is, we have two games this week to get things turned around in our favor.

Guest jojo1515

I don't think it's a matter of "whose recruits" are playing. If you look around, the better basketball teams usually have a core of juniors and seniors. Experience means a lot and Lebo's guys are the most experienced players...even if they are not the most talented on an individual basis. Experience and the cohesion that comes from playing many games together means a lot. Look at UNC...they have a world of talent....much more than AU..but not much experience or leadership...and they are struggling and UK with all their talent is not what it has been in the past few years.

As noted above, the attrition of TB's early recruits means that Lebo's guys are the experienced players and that's just the way it is. Trouble is, only one of the experienced guys can be counted on to do any scoring (Sullivan) and the others mostly supply some poise and play defense.

JMO, but the young guys were overwhelmed by the "moment" last night. During the past couple weeks, when Sullivan was off, someone else would take up the slack...but to restate the obvious, Sullivan had a poor shooting night and no one else stepped up. UK brought their "A" game in the second half and we had no answer on either end of the floor. Meanwhile it appeared that Sullivan tried to take the entire game on his shoulders last night and it did not work.

To address Mikey's point, as our young and more talented guys get some experience, they are going to be much better and it's going to pay off in more consistent play and better results. It's just one game...there are many more to play and hope the fans don't quit on the team because of this game.

You can save the experience argument for another time. KY is one of the most inexperienced teams in the country and just beat us by 20 at home. Next argument...

My point is, this is Barbee's third year. Where are the players that should have put Wallace, Chubb, Payne, etc. on the bench? "Wait until so-and-so gets here" is getting old.

You can save the experience argument for another time. KY is one of the most inexperienced teams in the country and just beat us by 20 at home. Next argument...

UK's talent far outweighs any of our experienced and young guys because they were already college ready when they came in. Much higher rated. AKA..they're better than us right now. When Price, Greene, Greene, and Tajh Shamsid Deen get some experience it's going to be a great time to be AUBBall fan

While I agree that we should probably be getting more production from the younger guys. We have to remember that this was not a very attractive program for Coach Barbee to be selling, he is making it more marketable every year. IMO he is doing a great job with the talent he has...plus there is alot to be said for a Coach that rewards his upper classmen for their commitment to the program by affording them more playing time. I have questioned at times why Coach Barbee has left some of the guys in the game when it was obvious they were struggling or over matched, but I am not on the bench and don't see the whole picture.

Archived