Men vs. Kentucky Game Thread

WarTiger

I don't think it's a matter of "whose recruits" are playing. If you look around, the better basketball teams usually have a core of juniors and seniors. Experience means a lot and Lebo's guys are the most experienced players...even if they are not the most talented on an individual basis. Experience and the cohesion that comes from playing many games together means a lot. Look at UNC...they have a world of talent....much more than AU..but not much experience or leadership...and they are struggling and UK with all their talent is not what it has been in the past few years.

As noted above, the attrition of TB's early recruits means that Lebo's guys are the experienced players and that's just the way it is. Trouble is, only one of the experienced guys can be counted on to do any scoring (Sullivan) and the others mostly supply some poise and play defense.

JMO, but the young guys were overwhelmed by the "moment" last night. During the past couple weeks, when Sullivan was off, someone else would take up the slack...but to restate the obvious, Sullivan had a poor shooting night and no one else stepped up. UK brought their "A" game in the second half and we had no answer on either end of the floor. Meanwhile it appeared that Sullivan tried to take the entire game on his shoulders last night and it did not work.

To address Mikey's point, as our young and more talented guys get some experience, they are going to be much better and it's going to pay off in more consistent play and better results. It's just one game...there are many more to play and hope the fans don't quit on the team because of this game.

You can save the experience argument for another time. KY is one of the most inexperienced teams in the country and just beat us by 20 at home. Next argument...

Oh, how about they had three 5* and a 4* kid from this year's class plus a 5* left over from last year. Might that mean anything?

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My point is, this is Barbee's third year. Where are the players that should have put Wallace, Chubb, Payne, etc. on the bench? "Wait until so-and-so gets here" is getting old.

Why don't you take a look at where this team was when Barbee got here, and then rethink your statement. Look at the roster he had. If you believe any coach can totally rebuild a team from the ground up in 3 years....you are completely misinformed. It will take at least 5 or 6 years to turn it around. Barbee is doing a great job with what he has, and I hope the Auburn fans will support him while he gets things in order. He's made forward progress every season.

My point is, this is Barbee's third year. Where are the players that should have put Wallace, Chubb, Payne, etc. on the bench? "Wait until so-and-so gets here" is getting old.

Why don't you take a look at where this team was when Barbee got here, and then rethink your statement. Look at the roster he had. If you believe any coach can totally rebuild a team from the ground up in 3 years....you are completely misinformed. It will take at least 5 or 6 years to turn it around. Barbee is doing a great job with what he has, and I hope the Auburn fans will support him while he gets things in order. He's made forward progress every season.

Basketball isn't like football. Two top-notch players and four role players and you've got a contender. The only top-notcher we have is Sullivan, a Lebo recruit that will be gone after this season.

Kentucky is starting a bunch of 4* and 5* freshmen. We only need two. Where are they? Alternatively, if the feeling is we can't recruit those kind of players and have to win with experience, it would seem that THIS should be the year for us to win. Instead, a bunch of freshmen beat our seniors by 20 on our home floor.

I was thrilled with the Barbee hire. Now, in his third year, it's time for him to thrill us with things we see on the court. So far it hasn't happened.

Laid an egg, yep but two guys trying to come back from foot injuries that did not score and one hot shot on the bench for the first half and he did not score in the time he played iin the second half. Other than Sullivan, they were our scorers when the team kind of turned around a few weeks ago.

Not long ago someone posted on this board that AU couldn't win 4 SEC games....and of couse that was before the wins over FSU, USCe and LSU....and now all of a sudden folks are despondent because we didn't beat UK, which even in a down year has an excellent chance of winning the SEC championship.

Lots of things contributed to this loss ....and as noted, it's just one game.

Basketball isn't like football. Two top-notch players and four role players and you've got a contender. The only top-notcher we have is Sullivan, a Lebo recruit that will be gone after this season.

Kentucky is starting a bunch of 4* and 5* freshmen. We only need two. Where are they? Alternatively, if the feeling is we can't recruit those kind of players and have to win with experience, it would seem that THIS should be the year for us to win. Instead, a bunch of freshmen beat our seniors by 20 on our home floor.

I was thrilled with the Barbee hire. Now, in his third year, it's time for him to thrill us with things we see on the court. So far it hasn't happened.

Exactly, since the experienced players aren't Barbee's, then why don't you wait until we have some of Barbee's experienced players and form an opinion then?

Last year auburn played Kentucky tough and close until the last few minutes of the game. That was an NCAA champion Kentucky team last year, but auburn played well with them.

This kentucky team is down, but the big difference I saw this year was auburn's shooting. Just a plain bad shooting night. If auburn hit just a few of those missed threes and hit most of the 2s, last night would be completely different.

Archived