Future150 State Prospect Rankings - Alabama

AUBourne

Calipari just signed 6 (SIX) of ESPN's 5* players for his 2013 class. WOW!

They just lost in the first round of the NIT last night - and now they have a star studded '13 recruiting class waiting in the wings.

Why can't Barbee take a que from his mentor?

Riley Norris is going to be a Turd more than likely. Going to be a battle for Coleman

I've seen him play a few times and he isn't an SEC level recruit imo.

Norris or Coleman?

Calipari just signed 6 (SIX) of ESPN's 5* players for his 2013 class. WOW!

They just lost in the first round of the NIT last night - and now they have a star studded '13 recruiting class waiting in the wings.

Why can't Barbee take a que from his mentor?

Because Calipari is telling them "We just went to the NIT. Its unacceptable. Come here and you can play right away. With several nationally televised games. Then in a year or two, after a deep run in the tournament, you will have an opportunity to be a lottery pick in the NBA Draft"

Calipari doesn't need to convince kids to come to Kentucky, his resume speaks for itself, IMO.

Barbee can really only say "Come here and you can play right away"...Barbee and Auburn Basketball's track record isn't the most appealing to recruits I would say.

• 4 months later...

So why didn't Louisville, or UCLA or Ohio State get all those kids that are signing to UK?

Get serious guys...we are so far down on the list of schools that these 5* guys will consider that's it not even funny. JMO of course but this isn't about TB, it's about 40 years of AU basketball history ....and the fact that no one at AU will pay any attention to the team or players until after the football season is over. I would just like to see us get a solid group of 3* and a couple 4* and keep them long enough to mature.

So why didn't Louisville, or UCLA or Ohio State get all those kids that are signing to UK?

Get serious guys...we are so far down on the list of schools that these 5* guys will consider that's it not even funny. JMO of course but this isn't about TB, it's about 40 years of AU basketball history ....and the fact that no one at AU will pay any attention to the team or players until after the football season is over. I would just like to see us get a solid group of 3* and a couple 4* and keep them long enough to mature.

That's what we need. Don't shoot for the moon immediately. Get a solid core and start performing middle of the road in the SEC CONSISTENTLY. Then you can make the argument to a couple of the big recruits of "Come be the catalyst". No star game-changer wants to come to a program at rock bottom, they have no support staff. I know the retention is an issue, but seems to me if we look for quality character guys who are 3*, maybe a couple of 4*, and stick to a starting 5 instead of mad scientist-ing (made that word up) it every game by experimenting, we may be able to get some consistency and stop the boat from rocking so much.

It all seems so easy from my computer here!

Our best bet might be to do what Bob Huggins did at Kansas State when he was getting back into coaching after his Cincy gig. He landed Michael Beasley (top recruit at the time) by hiring his former AAU coach who was coaching at UNC-Charlotte at the time as an assistant (Beasley was committed to UNCC -- who was a below average team in the A10 at the time, and flipped to KSU once the former AAU coach was hired).

Kansas State basketball hasn't been the same since, and I mean that in a positive way for them.

I would love to get josh langford watched him vs southside selma in birmingham kid is great

Absolutely, kid is lights out. I just don't see him coming here as things stand right now. He'd have to just really wanna attend AU in my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

Losing in state kids to the Dukes or Kentucky is understandable. But losing every in state head to head recruiting battle vs Bama is a complete failure. Bama will build a very solid top program, worthy of NCAA bids more often than not, with those in state recruits.

Archived