Golloway thoughts from the OU side

In case you haven't been paying attention, Auburn hired Oklahoma's Sunny Golloway as head baseball coach Friday evening. From the Auburn point of view, it's an absolute smash hit. But what do OU fans think? I got in touch with Jordan Esco, one of the managers at Crimson & Cream Machine to get his opinion.

College and Magnolia: So, Auburn hired Oklahoma's Sunny Golloway to replace fired baseball coach John Pawlowski. For us, this is a huge hire, and the fanbase is really excited. Are OU fans devastated to lose Golloway? What's the reaction?

Jordan Esco: I feel pretty confident in saying it will be a mixed reaction. Golloway has a unique relationship with OU Baseball fans. Despite countless postseason appearances and 40+ win seasons, OU fans have never really embraced him as the leader of this program.

So I definitely think you're going to get a decent portion of OU fans who will say "good riddance," but I really feel like it's going to be a case of you don't know what you have until it's gone. And that's coming from a guy who's had more than my fair share of issues with the guy, but issues aside you can't argue with the fact they guy wins games. I think he's going to be very difficult to replace and if nothing else that should tell you it's a solid hire on the part of Auburn.

CaM: How would you describe Golloway as a coach?

JE: In a word, demanding. It's not something that is going to come across in interviews as he could not appear to be more humble when speaking in public. I've always been amazed by the drastic contrasts between the two supposed personalities you see and the one you hear about. But by all accounts he can be a very different person behind the scenes and an incredibly strict disciplinarian as a head coach.

That works for certain guys and those OU players swear by the guy. However, the flip side of that coin resides in the former OU players who no longer associate with the program as a result of their dealings with Golloway.

I don't really think it's fair to judge him entirely on things heard secondhand, but it's also a case of if you hear it enough times over the course of nine years there has to be at least some degree of truth to the talk.

I feel confident in saying Golloway gets the most out of his players, but he can also push them over the edge at times and force them to shut him out. It's a fine line and a lot of the time he straddles it without the finesse of some other head coaches, but it's fair to say he has more successes than failures.

CaM: What are Golloway's biggest strengths?

JE: I feel like by the end of this I'll sound like a broken record, but for me his biggest strength is his ability to win games. Granted, the Big 12 isn't as deep as the SEC but Oklahoma also doesn't have the same resources, from a baseball perspective, Golloway will have access to at Auburn either.

Despite not having the best reputation among the high school coaches within the state of Oklahoma, he consistently pulled in solid recruiting classes so it appears as though he can turn on the charm when need be.

CaM: His biggest weaknesses?

JE: A lot of what I'd consider his weaknesses to become second hand from those in and around the program, but fair or not the guy has a reputation for being difficult to deal with. He's also been through a number of assistants during his time in Norman, so his difficulty in dealing with people may extend beyond just his players. He can be incredibly hard on this players and that wears on guys over the course of a fifty plus game season. In my opinion, he also has a tendency to over manage at times be it with substitutions or with how he calls a game.

CaM: What kind of baseball should Auburn fans expect from Golloway's teams.

JE: Well, as I've said the guy wins games so I'll be surprised if you don't see some significant improvement. He is definitely not afraid to play 'small ball' which is something OU fans have often taken issue with at times with respect to his decision when and when not to do so. He, like so many other teams, had to make a big adjustment when the BBCOR bats were brought into the college game, but he's done so with a solid degree of success.

Based on his track record at Oklahoma, you can also expect some roller coaster like ups-and-downs throughout the regular season. HIs OU teams have been pretty notorious for highs and equally as notorious lows within the span of a couple weeks at times.

CaM: I know you're probably not intimately familiar with Auburn's baseball program, but do you think he can win on the Plains?

JE: From what I know about the SEC things certainly aren't going to get any easier for him with respect to the competition. Oklahoma was one of the upper tier Big 12 programs and in large part because Golloway got them there. Can he do the same with Auburn? I certainly don't think it's impossible, but I do believe it will be more difficult for him to get Auburn there than it was Oklahoma.

That said, from what I've read about the Auburn administration's commitment to the baseball program it sounds as though Golloway will have every advantage necessary to get the job done. And the lack of that same commitment seems to have played a significant role in his decision to leave Oklahoma based on everything I've heard since the news of his hiring broke.

*** I also want to just kind of quickly clarify everything I've said here because I'm assuming some may read this and either (1) come away with a very negative perception of Golloway and/or (2) think this is just ripping a guy on his way out the door because of sour grapes. While, as I've said, a decent portion of OU fans (myself included) have had their issues with Golloway at times, I stand by the statement this is a very good hire for Auburn. Winning cures just about everything and no one can argue with the fact he wins games. He might not always have won the games OU fans thought he should have won, but at the same time it's hard to nitpick five straight 40 win season and a Super Regional appearance in three of the last four years.

I can think of no better compliment for the guy than saying confidently that he will be very, very difficult to replace.

Libk

this sound like another coach nearby that coaches a team wearing crimson.....

the guy has a reputation for being difficult to deal with. He's also been through a number of assistants during his time in Norman, so his difficulty in dealing with people may extend beyond just his players. He can be incredibly hard on this players and that wears on guys over the course of a fifty plus game season. In my opinion, he also has a tendency to over manage at times be it with substitutions or with how he calls a game.

Hmmmm....

This is going to be interesting.

Interesting how his tenure goes or how the AUF board reacts?

If you read between the lines, we have hit the jackpot!!! CSG will have us back at the top of the SEC. It could be much better than the good days with Coach Hal Baird. We are rapidly bringing on board some of the best coaches out there. I think JJ has seen the light.....the jury is still out though.

Kind of knocks a little of the luster off after reading that. As long as he turns our program around, and doesn't make a public fanny hole out of himself, it will be all good.

The comments from OU read like a guy who got dumped by his girlfriend and then goes around telling everyone what a slut she was. If some players aren't up to his level of discipline, so be it. The SEC is the big time and the players (football, basketball, baseball, etc) need to be up the challenge.

The comments from OU read like a guy who got dumped by his girlfriend and then goes around telling everyone what a slut she was. If some players aren't up to his level of discipline, so be it. The SEC is the big time and the players (football, basketball, baseball, etc) need to be up the challenge.

He did not have a problem with him being demanding. He said fans and parents did. His only true criticism was Golloway over managing at times.

Guess I'm not sure what over managing really is. College baseball is not the same as MLB and if you want the manager to sit back and just let the game unfold, that's not the way most college coaches do it. During his introduction, Coach G talks about the risk-reward nature of college baseball and he acknowledges that one of his approaches is to put pressure on the other team's defense and I like that.

Kind of knocks a little of the luster off after reading that. As long as he turns our program around, and doesn't make a public fanny hole out of himself, it will be all good.

Why I feel even better about him. Something I think we've needed in BB for a while. If you have had 100 players drafted your doing something right

Guess I'm not sure what over managing really is. College baseball is not the same as MLB and if you want the manager to sit back and just let the game unfold, that's not the way most college coaches do it. During his introduction, Coach G talks about the risk-reward nature of college baseball and he acknowledges that one of his approaches is to put pressure on the other team's defense and I like that.

What most people consider over managing is playing small ball in the first 3 innings of a game when it is not needed and taking pitchers out fast when facing adversity. I am not saying Coach G does those things. I am just answering your statement of what ever management usually means.

Why I feel even better about him. Something I think we've needed in BB for a while. If you have had 100 players drafted your doing something right

His resume is outstanding and I think it was a great hire. I am a huge Coach Tub fan and always will be. He just came off as smug/abrassive at times and I think that wore on some of the "higher up's". I was just meaning that Coach Golloway may have the same personality. I agree that it is obvious he is an outstanding coach. I am glad we have him. I think he can turn us into the kind of program we feel we should be. I just didn't get my meaning across very well.

google "Sunny Golloway Bio" for some interesting links, even some allegedly to best girls in the big 12. hope we don't wind up in troubles with ncaa. don't kill the messenger, i luv auburn with the best of the family! wde

google "Sunny Golloway Bio" for some interesting links, even some allegedly to best girls in the big 12. hope we don't wind up in troubles with ncaa. don't kill the messenger, i luv auburn with the best of the family! wde

1. There is no alleged. 2. It was 7 years ago. 3. There is no NCAA violation. It will just make some Bible thumpers uncomfortable.

1. There is no alleged. 2. It was 7 years ago. 3. There is no NCAA violation. It will just make some Bible thumpers uncomfortable.

This is correct. I am just happy that our AD has hired a man who has a proven track record for our baseball program. Coach Golloway, I believe, can take our program to new heights.

Name one very successful coach, in any sport, that is not extremely demanding.

Chiz in 2010. Just kidding!!!! :)

What most people consider over managing is playing small ball in the first 3 innings of a game when it is not needed and taking pitchers out fast when facing adversity. I am not saying Coach G does those things. I am just answering your statement of what ever management usually means.

Gotta seriously disagree with this view. One run early in a game these days is very important and getting ahead early changes everything in the way of strategy by the other team. And as for pulling pitchers quickly, again, we are playing in an era when 3 or 4 runs is often enough to win...and no manager wants to watch a pitcher lose a game in the first few innings because his pitcher can't throw strikes or isn't fooling anybody. In probably 9 games out of 10, any team that gets behind by 4 runs early in a game is going to lose. The basic strategy is to get ahead early and don't get behind by more than a couple runs. Many of us don't like all the bunting but as Coach G noted, it is a means of putting the ball in play and forcing a couple guys to make a good play. The fact that some people consider this style of small ball to be "over managing" does not make it so. ...JMO.

Gotta seriously disagree with this view. One run early in a game these days is very important and getting ahead early changes everything in the way of strategy by the other team. And as for pulling pitchers quickly, again, we are playing in an era when 3 or 4 runs is often enough to win...and no manager wants to watch a pitcher lose a game in the first few innings because his pitcher can't throw strikes or isn't fooling anybody. In probably 9 games out of 10, any team that gets behind by 4 runs early in a game is going to lose. The basic strategy is to get ahead early and don't get behind by more than a couple runs. Many of us don't like all the bunting but as Coach G noted, it is a means of putting the ball in play and forcing a couple guys to make a good play. The fact that some people consider this style of small ball to be "over managing" does not make it so. ...JMO.

This how the Japanese played when I lived there 30 years ago.

I did and I don't get it. Why would we end up in trouble with the NCAA because his daughter posed for Playboy?

the link to the posing is just out there, did JJ note it? Here are couple of links expressing concerns about his actions in OK: http://www.soonerfan...-must-go-thread can't vouch for their truthfulness try this one: http://www.crimsonandcreammachine.com/2011/4/22/2127005/sunny-golloway-goes-off-in-radio-interview-this-morning

Archived